Junie B., First Grader: Jingle Bells, Batman…

Junie B., First Grader: Jingle Bells, Batman Smells! (P.S. So Does May) (2005)

by Barbara Park

In my opinion, I think “Junie B., First Grader: Jingle Bells, Batman Smells! (P.S. So Does May)” is a delightful chapter book for young children to read. Like the other books in the Junie B. Jones series, this book has a suspenseful plot that is filled with comical events. This story tells readers about Junie B. Jones and what she does leading up to the “Secret Santa” present exchange at her school. Junie B. Jones gets very annoyed with her classmate named May. When Junie B. picks May’s name from the gift drawing, she smirks. She thinks that this is her chance to get revenge on May. Junie B. plans to give May coal for Christmas. However, Junie B. is swept up by the spirit of Christmas. Instead of giving May coal, Junie B. gives her the greatest gift of all (a toy that all of the students in the class want). May is happy, and Junie B. is happy. They make peace with each other. The illustrations consist of comical sketches that catch the reader’s attention. The book also illustrates a comical letter that Junie B. writes to Santa. The unique illustrations make the book very interesting to read. This book broadens students' perspectives about kindness. This book teaches students that some unfriendly people need kindness the most. The big idea is to show readers that one of the best presents that anyone can give is kindness. ( )
  sstelz2 | Dec 4, 2014 |
Cute book with a heartwarming ending. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
This one had the kids laughing out loud, and despite some toilet humor there's quite a bit of lessons they took away from this one. Well done Barbara Park. ( )
  capiam1234 | May 19, 2014 |
Like I keep saying, Junie B. Jones is one of my favorite series of all time! I actually have never read this book before this specific one in the series, so I was excited that I had the opportunity to. The Junie B. books never cease to humor me and I found myself with a smile on my face throughout the entire read. I also never wanted to put the book down. Not only this book, but the entire series really does grant the reader comic relief because of Junie's improper language and silly thought process. Young readers can really relate to this story in particular because I remember when I was an elementary student, holiday parties were the most exciting times of the year! There message in this story is about friendship. At the end of the story, it teaches readers that taking the time to get to know someone on a higher level and actually consciously being nice to people can lead to great things. ( )
  jjones58 | May 11, 2014 |
★★★★★Junie B., First Grader: Jingle Bells, Batman Smells! (P.S. So Does May.) (Junie B. Jones, #25) by Barbara Park

Kids will be kids, and sing funny songs, but will Junie B catch the holiday spirit. ( )
  Chantelle713 | Sep 25, 2013 |

AR 2.8, Pts 1.0

It’s holiday time, and Room One is doing lots of fun things to celebrate.
Like making elf costumes! And singing joyful songs! Only, how can Junie B. enjoy the festivities when Tattletale May keeps ruining her holiday glee? And here is the worst part of all! When everyone picks names for Secret Santa, Junie B. gets stuck with Tattletale you-know-who! It’s enough to fizzle your holiday spirit! Hmm . . . or is it? Maybe, just maybe, a Secret Santa gift is the perfect opportunity to give May exactly what she deserves.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:09 -0400)

Junie B. Jones wishes that May would stop being such a tattletale, but when she is stuck as May's Secret Santa it becomes real trouble.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,390,364 books! | Top bar: Always visible