Junie B., First Grader: One-Man Band by…

Junie B., First Grader: One-Man Band

by Barbara Park

SUMMARY: Room One is having a kickball tournament, but Junie B. Jones, has stubbed her toe and is unable to play. Whatever is a feisty first-grader to do?

REVIEW: I adored this series as a child, and I think that other children will, too. Now that I am older, I STILL enjoy it, although I am reading it from an entirely new perspective. The thing about this book that I believe children will enjoy the most is the fact that it is written exactly as a child of that age would think. Junie B. is the narrator, and she "writes" exactly how she thinks; for example, when she is excited, she uses all capitals, such as when she finds her best friend from kindergarten. Also, she uses expressions that children mis-speak quite often, such as saying, "My skin did a shiver," instead of simply saying "I shivered." This book is also great for the classroom because children can relate to what Junie B. is going through. Every child has been unable to participate in a classroom event at some part of their lives, and Junie B. does an excellent job of portraying these feelings of annoyance, anger, and nervousness. Additionally, the end message of this book is wonderful: if one tries hard enough, any bad situation can be turned around for the better. ( )
  amay3 | Sep 21, 2014 |
I thought this book was so cute! I have never read any of these books before, so I did not know what to expect. I was surprised to find how funny it was, even to a college student. My favorite part about the book was the main character, Junie B. herself. She embodies a child who is trying to figure herself out and the place she has in her world, and she is a goof on top of it all. Her adventures can be related to things that happened to me when I was a child. One of the best parts was when she thought it was a good idea to kick the watering can: "I kicked that can as hard as I could! And OWIE OW OW! That dumb-bunny can was filled full of water! And nobody even told me about that problem!" When her mother comes out to see what happened, the child can relate to Junie not wanting to tell her mom what she did, because she knows she will get in trouble. Another thing I liked about the book was her parents. They were stern and supportive people who want the best for Junie. The big idea of this book is though things might not happen the way we want them to, if we stay positive things might work out even better than we expected. This is exhibited through Junie's desire to win the kickball tournament, but has her dreams crushed when she injures her toe even further in class. She must perform alone during the halftime show and everyone ends up loving her juggling. ( )
  lstec2 | May 1, 2014 |
Junie B. practices her kicks for the kickball tournament. Unfortunately, she kicked the "bull" full of water that injured her toes. She is disappointed for not able to join the tournament. However, Mr. Scary asked Sheldon and Junie B. for halftime show at the school's kickball tournament. With Sheldon suggestion, he will play an instrument and Junie B. will be a Juggler. On the day, Sheldon changes his mind and doesn't want to be in the band, so Junie B. does it all herself. ( )
  thuvan0301 | Mar 19, 2013 |
Junie B. Jones can't play in the kickball tournament bacause she hurt her foot. So she decides to be the entertainment. ( )
  bekeelen | Feb 22, 2013 |
Genre: Realistic Fiction

Review: The book Junie B. First Grader One Man Band is a book of a series created by Barbara Parks. This book in particular is a realistic fiction because the events in this story could all happen. This is a story of a first grader that runs into different types of troubles throughout her day, that are all realistic events but these events never happened.

Characterization: Junie B. is a round protagonist, because with each trouble that she runs into she learns from the problem and she is the main character in the book as well as the series.

Media: Chapter book, no media ( )
  llarson09 | Mar 7, 2012 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375825363, Paperback)

Junie B. Jones is thrilled. "The whole entire first grade" is planning a kickball tournament, and this feisty first grader daydreams about being the star of Room One. Unfortunately, where Junie B. goes, trouble must follow. "And it’s called, I accidentally kicked my ball over the fence. And I didn’t want to go get it. So I had to find something else to kick." That something else turns out to be her mom’s watering can--which happens to be full at the time. Now Junie B. has an owie on her piggy toe and it looks like she won't be able to participate in the tournament. But wait! Her friend Sheldon can't play kickball either, due to a spectacular fall in the classroom. Maybe these two can come up with an alternate plan that will still allow Junie B. to be the star!

Barbara Park’s inexhaustible beginning chapter-book series has all the ingredients young readers like best: humor, repetition, predictability (with a few surprises), and lots of silly action. Grown-up readers might tire of the cute malapropisms, but kids will thrive on the "whole entire" series. (Ages 5 to 8) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:41:22 -0400)

When Junie B. cannot play in the school kickball tournament because of a sore toe, she brings her unique talents to the halftime show.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,353,972 books! | Top bar: Always visible