Junie B., First Grader: One-Man Band by…

Junie B., First Grader: One-Man Band

by Barbara Park

Recently added byCEELibrary, private library, LoriY, srosgen

I thought this book was so cute! I have never read any of these books before, so I did not know what to expect. I was surprised to find how funny it was, even to a college student. My favorite part about the book was the main character, Junie B. herself. She embodies a child who is trying to figure herself out and the place she has in her world, and she is a goof on top of it all. Her adventures can be related to things that happened to me when I was a child. One of the best parts was when she thought it was a good idea to kick the watering can: "I kicked that can as hard as I could! And OWIE OW OW! That dumb-bunny can was filled full of water! And nobody even told me about that problem!" When her mother comes out to see what happened, the child can relate to Junie not wanting to tell her mom what she did, because she knows she will get in trouble. Another thing I liked about the book was her parents. They were stern and supportive people who want the best for Junie. The big idea of this book is though things might not happen the way we want them to, if we stay positive things might work out even better than we expected. This is exhibited through Junie's desire to win the kickball tournament, but has her dreams crushed when she injures her toe even further in class. She must perform alone during the halftime show and everyone ends up loving her juggling. ( )
  lstec2 | May 1, 2014 |
Junie B. practices her kicks for the kickball tournament. Unfortunately, she kicked the "bull" full of water that injured her toes. She is disappointed for not able to join the tournament. However, Mr. Scary asked Sheldon and Junie B. for halftime show at the school's kickball tournament. With Sheldon suggestion, he will play an instrument and Junie B. will be a Juggler. On the day, Sheldon changes his mind and doesn't want to be in the band, so Junie B. does it all herself. ( )
  thuvan0301 | Mar 19, 2013 |
Junie B. Jones can't play in the kickball tournament bacause she hurt her foot. So she decides to be the entertainment. ( )
  bekeelen | Feb 22, 2013 |
Genre: Realistic Fiction

Review: The book Junie B. First Grader One Man Band is a book of a series created by Barbara Parks. This book in particular is a realistic fiction because the events in this story could all happen. This is a story of a first grader that runs into different types of troubles throughout her day, that are all realistic events but these events never happened.

Characterization: Junie B. is a round protagonist, because with each trouble that she runs into she learns from the problem and she is the main character in the book as well as the series.

Media: Chapter book, no media ( )
  llarson09 | Mar 7, 2012 |
Junie B. can't wait to play in the schools kickball tournament that she practices every day after school. One day she is practicing and kicks the can over the fence, but she doesn't want to go get it so she decided to kick her mom's cow watering can. When she kicks it she hurts her toe. Because she hurt her toe she couldn't participate in the Kickball Tournament and instead did a half time show. She wasn't happy but then her father showed her how to juggle and thats what she wanted to learn for the show. When she went to perform with one other class mate named Sheldon, Sheldon got so nervous that he ran away and didn't perform and Junie started getting laughed at and they started throwing biscuits at her. She picked up the biscuits and began to juggle them. She wasn't sure if she was going to be able to but she gave it her all and she did a great job. This book can teach children that if they want to do something to put their minds to it and it can be done with practice. ( )
  emleonard | Jan 31, 2012 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375825363, Paperback)

Junie B. Jones is thrilled. "The whole entire first grade" is planning a kickball tournament, and this feisty first grader daydreams about being the star of Room One. Unfortunately, where Junie B. goes, trouble must follow. "And it’s called, I accidentally kicked my ball over the fence. And I didn’t want to go get it. So I had to find something else to kick." That something else turns out to be her mom’s watering can--which happens to be full at the time. Now Junie B. has an owie on her piggy toe and it looks like she won't be able to participate in the tournament. But wait! Her friend Sheldon can't play kickball either, due to a spectacular fall in the classroom. Maybe these two can come up with an alternate plan that will still allow Junie B. to be the star!

Barbara Park’s inexhaustible beginning chapter-book series has all the ingredients young readers like best: humor, repetition, predictability (with a few surprises), and lots of silly action. Grown-up readers might tire of the cute malapropisms, but kids will thrive on the "whole entire" series. (Ages 5 to 8) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:41:22 -0400)

When Junie B. cannot play in the school kickball tournament because of a sore toe, she brings her unique talents to the halftime show.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,628,663 books! | Top bar: Always visible