Junie B., First Grader (at Last!) by Barbara…

Junie B., First Grader (at Last!) (2001)

by Barbara Park

Other authors: Denise Brunkus (Illustrator)

Series: Junie B. Jones (18)

I liked this book for a number of reasons. First, I thought the author did a splendid job of adding appropriate humor that could be funny to children and adults. For example, when May forgot to say the "B" in Junie B. Jones, Junie B. became frustrated and felt the need to say "B., B., B., B., B", in her face to get it through May's head. I believe this is funny to children because they could relate to this type of frustration and it is funny to adults because they recognize children get upset over little things. I also liked how the author included Junie B.'s journal letters in the format of Junie B.'s writing. For example, some of the chapters start with her journal letters that she is required to write for her class. These letters are written in a first graders hand writing and words that are crossed out and corrected for spelling such as, "mustach" is crossed out with the correct spelling written above it along with the word "stomick". This gives the reader a feeling that they have Junie B.'s real journal in hand. The big idea of the book is that sticking through and giving multiple chances towards a new thing, rather than calling it quits. ( )
  CatalinaDiaz | May 2, 2015 |
Junie B. Jones is a classic short chapter book that exemplifies what it is like to be a first grader. Junie B. Jones is moving up to first grade in this book- no more kindergarten!! With this change comes new things… such friends changing, her eyesight changing,expectations changing, etc. Junie B. is losing friends she had all throughout kindergarten and it is a really tough change on her. She is starting to see who her true friends are, who she can count on, who she is closes with, and who will stick with her through elementary school. She is also realizing something else about herself- she cannot see very well. Her teacher actually noticed this in her. This led to her having a huge insecurity about her chunky glasses, and because of this, she just wanted to hide her face. But her new found friend showed her how COOL her glasses are, and that only the coolest people wear glasses. All in all, Junie B. Jones is on her way to a successful first grade year.
  KaylaAnn715 | Apr 21, 2015 |
I picked this up at Target for my first grader. I hope she enjoys it. ( )
  fabooj | Feb 3, 2015 |
SUMMARY: Junie B. Jones finally started first grade...but it is not as fun as she imagined it would be.

REVIEW: I adored this series as a child, and I think that other children will, too. Now that I am older, I STILL enjoy it, although I am reading it from an entirely new perspective. The thing about this book that I believe children will enjoy the most is the fact that it is written exactly as a child of that age would think. Junie B. is the narrator, and she "writes" exactly how she thinks; for example, when she is excited, she uses all capitals, such as when she finds her best friend from kindergarten. Also, she uses expressions that children mis-speak quite often, such as saying, "...my forehead had drops of sweaty," instead of saying "drops of sweat." This book is also great for the classroom because children can relate to what Junie B. is going through. Every child is nervous on their first day of school, and by reading this book, children can empathize with Junie B, which can make themselves feel better. Additionally, the end message of this book is wonderful: no matter how scary or hard something seems, it will always get better in the end. ( )
  amay3 | Sep 16, 2014 |
Title: Junie B.,First Grader (at Last!
Author: Barbara Park
Illustrator: Denise Brunkus
Page Number
Genre: chapter book; realistic fiction
Approximate Age Level: 5-6 years old

Multicultural classification: Melting Pot Book

Summary: Junie B. Jones is now in first grade. She is in a new classroom, with a new teacher, and with new students. When trying to read some words on the chalkboard, Junie B. Jones cannot see the words on the board. Junie B. Jones has to get glasses. At first she is unsure about having to wear glasses, but it turns out they are not so bad after all.

Reflection: This was a very fun book that my students greatly enjoyed reading. It allowed us to laugh together and have a discussion about the different students in Junie B. Jones' first grade class. Although this book offered a lot of enjoyment, I did find some problems with it. The grammar in this book is awful. With so many language learners in my classroom I felt that I had to change the text and make it grammatically correct while reading it aloud. The word choice and vocabulary in the book are also lacking. ( )
  jenniferscovel | Oct 4, 2013 |

Barbara Parkprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brunkus, DeniseIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

the book is about a funny kindergartener that has finally gone of to frist grade. but, she is still her silly old self.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375815163, Paperback)

It had to happen. The spunkiest sass mouth in room 9 finally graduated from kindergarten. Now the inimitable, irrepressible Junie B. is a first grader--at last! ("My name is Junie B. I think I have mentioned that to you before... B., B., B., B., B.")

The 18th installment in Barbara Park's popular beginning chapter-book series puts our temperamental heroine into a brand-new class where she has to make brand-new friends. And as if that weren't hard enough, her brand-new teacher, Mr. Scary ("He made that name up, I believe," Junie writes in a journal assignment), figures out that she needs eyeglasses. Will all the other kids laugh at her? Will that obnoxious Excellent-plus-getting May become even more obnoxious?

With Park's solid track record, the appeal of Junie B. just can't be doubted-she can be a good friend to readers her age, which is a difficult grade level to find fun books for. And even kids who don't need glasses will likely still giggle along as Junie B. plays "the E game" (an eye test) with the nurse, and kids who do need glasses will find themselves with a strong (if a little scared at first) ally. (Ages 4 to 8) --Paul Hughes

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:33 -0400)

Junie B. thinks first grade is a flop when her kindergarten friend Lucille prefers the company of twins Camille and Chenille and Junie B. needs glasses.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,523,702 books! | Top bar: Always visible