Junie B., First Grader (at Last!) by Barbara…

Junie B., First Grader (at Last!) (2001)

by Barbara Park, Denise Brunkus (Illustrator)

Recently added bysimmp116, bcirka, private library, LVCS123, lunita18, MichelleW1106, caseyharmony

SUMMARY: Junie B. Jones finally started first grade...but it is not as fun as she imagined it would be.

REVIEW: I adored this series as a child, and I think that other children will, too. Now that I am older, I STILL enjoy it, although I am reading it from an entirely new perspective. The thing about this book that I believe children will enjoy the most is the fact that it is written exactly as a child of that age would think. Junie B. is the narrator, and she "writes" exactly how she thinks; for example, when she is excited, she uses all capitals, such as when she finds her best friend from kindergarten. Also, she uses expressions that children mis-speak quite often, such as saying, "...my forehead had drops of sweaty," instead of saying "drops of sweat." This book is also great for the classroom because children can relate to what Junie B. is going through. Every child is nervous on their first day of school, and by reading this book, children can empathize with Junie B, which can make themselves feel better. Additionally, the end message of this book is wonderful: no matter how scary or hard something seems, it will always get better in the end. ( )
  amay3 | Sep 16, 2014 |
Title: Junie B.,First Grader (at Last!
Author: Barbara Park
Illustrator: Denise Brunkus
Page Number
Genre: chapter book; realistic fiction
Approximate Age Level: 5-6 years old

Multicultural classification: Melting Pot Book

Summary: Junie B. Jones is now in first grade. She is in a new classroom, with a new teacher, and with new students. When trying to read some words on the chalkboard, Junie B. Jones cannot see the words on the board. Junie B. Jones has to get glasses. At first she is unsure about having to wear glasses, but it turns out they are not so bad after all.

Reflection: This was a very fun book that my students greatly enjoyed reading. It allowed us to laugh together and have a discussion about the different students in Junie B. Jones' first grade class. Although this book offered a lot of enjoyment, I did find some problems with it. The grammar in this book is awful. With so many language learners in my classroom I felt that I had to change the text and make it grammatically correct while reading it aloud. The word choice and vocabulary in the book are also lacking. ( )
  jenniferscovel | Oct 4, 2013 |
A good series for primary students who like characters with a bit of spunk. ( )
  JMBridger | Aug 25, 2013 |
This book is in bad shape. Michael will take it. Stephanie will buy a new one.
  InfinityPrep | Mar 28, 2013 |
Junie B. brought her lunch while other classmates of her bought their lunch. One of her classmate shared his cookies with Junie B., it remind her of Mrs. Gutzman, the cookies lady from her kindergarten last year. During the conversation, Junie B. learned that Mrs Gutzman works in the cafeteria. She came to see Mrs. Gutzman to complain about first grader don't get cookies. Mrs. Gutzman invited her to "helps around the cafeteria" which give her a chance to be a "boss of lunch" dream, but then "boss of cookies" ( )
  thuvan0301 | Mar 19, 2013 |

Barbara Parkprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brunkus, DeniseIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

the book is about a funny kindergartener that has finally gone of to frist grade. but, she is still her silly old self.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375815163, Paperback)

It had to happen. The spunkiest sass mouth in room 9 finally graduated from kindergarten. Now the inimitable, irrepressible Junie B. is a first grader--at last! ("My name is Junie B. I think I have mentioned that to you before... B., B., B., B., B.")

The 18th installment in Barbara Park's popular beginning chapter-book series puts our temperamental heroine into a brand-new class where she has to make brand-new friends. And as if that weren't hard enough, her brand-new teacher, Mr. Scary ("He made that name up, I believe," Junie writes in a journal assignment), figures out that she needs eyeglasses. Will all the other kids laugh at her? Will that obnoxious Excellent-plus-getting May become even more obnoxious?

With Park's solid track record, the appeal of Junie B. just can't be doubted-she can be a good friend to readers her age, which is a difficult grade level to find fun books for. And even kids who don't need glasses will likely still giggle along as Junie B. plays "the E game" (an eye test) with the nurse, and kids who do need glasses will find themselves with a strong (if a little scared at first) ally. (Ages 4 to 8) --Paul Hughes

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:48:33 -0400)

Junie B. thinks first grade is a flop when her kindergarten friend Lucille prefers the company of twins Camille and Chenille and Junie B. needs glasses.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,363,326 books! | Top bar: Always visible