Crash Proof 2.0: How to Profit From the…

Crash Proof 2.0: How to Profit From the Economic Collapse (original 2007; edition 2009)

by Peter D. Schiff, John Downes

Member:sptz45
Title:Crash Proof 2.0: How to Profit From the Economic Collapse
Authors:Peter D. Schiff
Other authors:John Downes
Info:Wiley (2009), Edition: 2, Hardcover, 364 pages

Crash Proof: How to Profit From the Coming Economic Collapse (Lynn Sonberg Books) by Peter Schiff (2007)

The problem with this book is that the author makes "hundreds" of predictions, promising that each one will follow the other.

Well, it is hard enough to predict the next day in the stock market, and *nobody* can predict one thing after the other and expect me to take notes and depend on it.

I do not question Peter Schiff's integrity at all, but he has a strong financial interest in selling gold and special locations for investments such that I do not believe he could suddenly admit he was wrong and then find he had to recommend the reverse of inflation. ( )
  Benedict8 | Jul 16, 2014 |
This is the very first work I've read since joining Librarything that I am unable to give a rating. That by itself is a very curious distinction, and certainly apropos, since this is a very, very, very curious work. Parts of it are very well written, very well thought out and had me nodding my head in agreement, even though I had honestly not thought in these terms before. And yet for each well written section in a chapter section there is almost always an offsetting thesis that left me with a raised eyebrow or an item presented as a fact that struck me as rather dubious.

Review continued offsite, on my blog.
  worldsedge | Jun 7, 2008 |
great great review of the inconsistencies in the financial reporting in this country. Energy, housing, lots of other things are not computed in the consumer price index because that would scare us! The whole thing is a manipulation. This is a great book to use to really understand the constructed reality we have constructed (or allowed to be constructed) around ourselves that keeps us slaves to this hegemonic imperialist system (which by the way causes terrorism and war but that is my comment). ( )
  brett_in_nyc | Apr 26, 2008 |
America, once a society of production has become a society of consumption. Living on massive amounts of credit, both as individuals and as a nation, the ever mounting inflationary debt has left us on the brink of an economic disaster. At least according to Mr. Schiff.

Peter Schiff, son of famous tax protestor and currently federally incarcerated Irwin Schiff, is known as "Dr. Doom" for the extremely dire analyses of the United States' current economic situation he provides for the mainstream media. The analysis he provides in crash proof is based fundamentally from the viewpoint of Austrian economics. If you are ideologically aligned with this fundamental view point, Schiff's clear and concise explanation of our current situation will likely resonate with you. However those who tend to follow the basic capitalistic precepts of Friedman or especially Keynes, or who do not follow capital or free market theory at all will not likely be persuaded by his arguments.

The book itself is broken into two major sections. The first two thirds of the book is Mr. Schiff's analysis of what he feels is an imminent collapse in the housing market, the economy in general and of the dollar, which he feels has a good chance of seeing an episode of hyperinflation never before witnessed by the American people, even during the Great Depression. The last third of the book is devoted to investment strategies to hedge against this collapse.

The first section is well written and interesting, however, the fundamental problem with this book is the last third of the book devoted to the investment strategies. These strategies can pretty much be summed up with three quick statements. Move market investments from Dollar based U.S. stocks to yield based stocks in Europe and Asia. Invest in commodities, particularly precious metals. Avoid U.S. dollar based assets and stay liquid. The rest of this section is not much more than marketing material for Schiff's investment company Euro Pacific Capital Inc.

If you decide to pursue this book, I would highly recommend first watching the short video (~45 minutes) Money as Debt. It is the most straightforward explanation I have seen of the monetary theory used by Mr. Schiff as the basis for his analysis. Whether or not you agree with this particular theory, understanding it is the key to understanding Mr. Schiff's arguments. ( )
  JDubba | Sep 29, 2007 |

Peter Schiffprimary authorall editionscalculated
Downes, Johnsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

The economic tipping point for the United States is no longer theoretical. It is a reality today. The country has gone from the world's largest creditor to its greatest debtor; the value of the dollar is sinking; domestic manufacturing is winding down - and these trends don't seem to be slowing. Peter Schiff casts a sharp, clear-sighted eye on these factors and explains what the possible effects may be and how investors can protect themselves. For more than a decade, Schiff has not only observed the U.S. economy, but also helped his clients reposition their portfolios to reflect his outlook. What he sees is a nation facing an economic storm brought on by growing federal, personal, and corporate debt, too-little savings, a declining dollar, and lack of domestic manufacturing.
Crash-Proof is an informed and informative warning of a looming period marked by sizeable tax hikes, loss of retirement benefits, double digit inflation, even - as happened recently in Argentina - the possible collapse of the middle class. However, Schiff does have a survival plan that can provide the protection that readers will need in the coming years.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:43 -0400)

Offering a warning of a looming period marked by sizable tax hikes, loss of retirement benefits, double digit inflation, and the possible collapse of the middle class, Schiff presents a survival plan that can provide the protection readers will need in the coming years.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,412,540 books! | Top bar: Always visible