Invisible Armies by Jon Evans

Invisible Armies

by Jon Evans

This is the first Jon Evans novel I have read. What an adventure in reading! This book is positively vibrating with intensity and action. If you want a book that you will not want to put down, this is the book for you. The action is constant with occasional breaks where you can catch your breath before again boarding that rollercoaster ride through the pages. I found that with all the switchbacks and turnabouts I was holding my breath. This book spun me around and topsy-turvy with every change in direction. At first I found the narrative bits a bit unsettling, somewhat like watching a TV program with voice-over narration for the blind, but I soon overcame that feeling with the dialogue and action.

The story begins with a somewhat typical girl, Danielle, doing a favour for a friend. She is soon literally fighting for her life and for humanity. Nobody is who they seem, nobody wants to trust anyone else. This book will amaze you in how far the world has actually come in technology, but don’t concern yourself with whether you will understand technobabble; it will usually be explained. I guess you could say technology is one of the heroes. Jon Evans has built a brilliant story which includes the best and worst in people, greed, awareness, and the survival instinct in all of us. It takes us to different countries and in dark places and communities which seem worlds away. I highly recommend this book, it is outstanding in its genre. If it weren’t for the few calm spots in the book, I would have had to read it cover-to-cover in one sitting. In fact, I finished it at 3:00 in the morning. You will not be unaffected. ( )
  readerbynight | Jan 6, 2009 |
Entertaining and fast-paced with a good enough story. Full review at http://www.canadianauthors.net/e/evans_jon/invisible_armies.php ( )
  ripleyy | Mar 25, 2007 |
The bridge is out.

From the mines of remote India, to the streets of Paris and the lights of Las Vegas, Danielle Leaf is pursued by a terrible secret.

Danielle came to India to find herself. Then she agreed to deliver a passport for her ex-boyfriend, legendary computer hacker Keiran Kell. It seemed like a simple favor for a friend - until she was abducted by thugs and imprisoned in a nightmarish cell.

She is soon joined by another captive: Laurent, a Foreign Legionnaire turned international activist. Their daring escape is only the beginning. Now Danielle has been drawn into a war between a transnational mining company that is poisoning thousands of Third World farmers, and the invisible armies of anti-corporate protestors who oppose it. A cause, finally, that she can believe in.

Amidst a whirlwind romance on the Goa coast, bloody street battles in Paris, cyberspace duels between shadowy hackers, and a bomb gone wrong in London, Danielle, Laurent and Keiran grow more deeply involved in this battle than they ever expected ... until the line between right and wrong begins to blur. For both sides of this war are willing to kill for their cause - and both sides hide deadly secrets.

Award-winning author Jon Evans returns with new heroes and a compulsive, fast-paced story that examines issues of corporate exploitation and the extreme edge of anti-globalization activism. Invisible Armies is Cold War suspense for the modern age, a thriller that looks behind the power of protests and the politics of big business.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:50 -0400)

Danielle Leaf and her hacker friend Keiran are unwittingly drawn into a battle between a powerful multinational corporation and an army of protestors, stumbling upon a dark secret that could get them both killed.

Jon Evans is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,362,252 books! | Top bar: Always visible