The Hollow People by Brian Keaney

The Hollow People

by Brian Keaney

Other authors: Nicoletta Ceccoli (Illustrator)

Series: The Promises of Dr. Sigmundus (1)

After a rather slow And wordy start, this turned into an exciting read.
What happens when you realise that you no longer trust your parents or the other adults around you? Why are you different from your peers? And what should you do about it? It's a familiar trope in YAfiction - the protagonists find an alarming truth, ditch the parents, and join the resistance- but it's well done, and the central idea is interesting. I'm looking forward to the second book, and wondering it there will be any further explanation of the names (other than that they are all historical or mythical characters) ( )
  Goldengrove | Apr 25, 2016 |
On an island that houses the asylum where law-breakers are imprisoned, two teenagers rebel against a rigidly controlled society where dreams are considered antisocial and all citizens over the age of fourteen take a drug to control their behavior.
  lkmuir | Dec 11, 2015 |
Teen son loved this book. ( )
  joelle.casteel | Jun 14, 2012 |
The book is creepy, and very dark. It is about mentally disturbed people.
4Q, 4P
This book is best suited for middle and highschoolers.
It was selected due to the subject and how it's presented, the cover made it look interesting.
Grade: 10th
CS-AHS-NC
  edspicer | May 18, 2011 |
When I first picked up this book I thought it was from the paranormal genre. Then I took a closer look and it was an interesting blend of dystopia with some paranormal characteristics. I really did enjoy the dystopia aspect of the book. Dreams are taboo and you’re sent to the asylum if you have one and talk about it. It was an interesting idea and concept. However the pace was a little slow for me and it took me longer than usual to finish this book (despite its short length).

The theme and setting certainly had a good dark tone to it. It’s set in an asylum for the most part and when an extremely ‘dangerous’ inmate arrives that’s all the excitement that happens in the asylum. The mystery surrounding Dante and his past was good and connections were slowly being revealed. I really did like Dante as a character and the story does surround on his development as a character. Bea is more like a female sidekick to the story and although she has her own story arc as well it’s not as interesting as Dante’s.

Towards the ending of the book it got more interesting, except for a certain sequence where after re-reading the passage for about 3 times I’m still wondering what in the world happened. The cliffhanger though was very good and it does entice the reader to go search for the second one. I’m not sure if I’m going to pursue this series further. Although interesting and different when it comes to dystopian novels out there, the pace was just too slow for me and it just got a little too strange at the end. Plus, the cover is very very deceiving. You would expect to get a gothic horror novel but end with a dystopian world where dreams are illegal. Not a bad trade off, but with a slow start and slow moving pace this might deter readers (or not).

So, I’m not sure if I would recommend this book to others as I did not enjoy it as much as I wanted to. I would say pick this up if you want to read something that’s a little different from the rest of the dystopian novels out there. Otherwise, take it or leave it. ( )
  sensitivemuse | Mar 19, 2011 |

Brian Keaneyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ceccoli, NicolettaIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

ON THE SINISTER ISLAND where strict obedience to the laws of the mysterious Dr. Sigmundus holds sway, dreaming will get you locked up and branded a lunatic, a danger to society and to all who know you. In this doomed and repressive place, two teens that were never meant to meet or share their dreams, cross paths and set in motion that which rips them from the lives they were meant to lead. Together they join forces with a ragtag group of rebel forces bent on breaking the grip of lies and illusions their countrymen have accepted without question.

For fans of thoughtful science fiction and fantasy, The Hollow People opens a window on the unseen worlds that surround us. It is the first installment in The Promises of Dr. Sigmundus. Book II will continue the tale in fall 2008.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:20 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,266,598 books! | Top bar: Always visible