The Watchman: A Joe Pike Novel (Joe Pike…

The Watchman: A Joe Pike Novel (Joe Pike Novels) (2007)

by Robert Crais

English (40)  Swedish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (42)
JOE PIKE HAS BEEN ASKED TO DO A FAVOR FOR OLD POLICE BUDDY. WILD GIRL NEEDS PROTECTION FROM KILLERS DEMANDING PARENTS MONEY. ( )
  pgabj | Jun 12, 2019 |
The Elvis Cole/Joe Pike series just get better and better - if you haven't read these before, do yourself a favour and start at the beginning with The Monkey's Raincoat. I've been reading the whole series on Kindle after discovering Robert Crais' books a couple of months ago. I've got no idea what I'm going to do when I get to the last one (only four books away) - I shall be in mourning!

The Watchman is the first book where Joe Pike takes the lead, and for those who are familiar with the characters, it doesn't disappoint. Despite Joe being a man of few words, his actions speak for themselves. Robert Crais is one of the few authors I've read that can move me to tears, get my heart racing or have me laughing out loud. The Watchman is a tightly told story, which keeps the pace up right through to the end.

Highly recommended.

Rachel Amphlett
Author of White Gold
www.rachelamphlett.com ( )
  RachelAmphlett | Jul 23, 2018 |
I liked the Joe Pike book a lot more than I thought I would. Nice change of pace from an Elvis Cole stand alone. Looking forward to the next one. ( )
  CSDaley | Mar 28, 2018 |
Great Story and Pace! Pike is my new fav!
  LiteraryW | Mar 19, 2018 |
3.5 stars

Larkin is a spoiled rich girl who gets in a car crash and apparently has witnessed something due to this crash so that someone wants her dead. Joe Pike is brought in to protect her and keep her alive.

The car crash itself was a bit confusing at the start. It happened fast and I had trouble figuring out who was who right off! (And I still had trouble sorting out some of the characters later on, as well!) However, once I figured out the gist (even if I didn’t have the characters straight) of what was happening, some parts were fast-paced, while others weren’t as interesting. I really didn’t like either of the main characters, though, Larkin or Pike (mostly he’s called by his last name). I don’t plan to seek out any more books with Pike in them; I won’t necessarily rule them out altogether, but I won’t go looking for any. ( )
  LibraryCin | Oct 28, 2017 |
Create in me a clean heart, O god;
and renew a right spirit within me.
--PSALMS 51:10

Hush! my dear, lie still and slumber.
Holy angels guard thy bed!
--ISSAC WATTS

pike--n.; a long bodied, predatory fish
known for its speed and aggression.
--OXFORD AMERICAN DICTIONARY
for Lauren

no sacrifice too great
no love so dear
no parents more proud
The city was hers for a single hour, just the one magic hour, only hers.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 141651497X, Mass Market Paperback)

Larkin Conner Barkley lives like the City of Angels is hers for the taking. Young and staggeringly rich, she speeds through the city during its loneliest hours, blowing through red after red in her Aston Martin as if running for her life. Until out of nowhere a car appears, and with it the metal-on-metal explosion of a terrible accident. Dazed, Larkin attempts to help the other victims. And finds herself the sole witness in a secret federal investigation. For maybe the first time in her life, Larkin wants to do the right thing. But by agreeing to cooperate with the authorities, she becomes the target for a relentless team of killers. And when the U.S. Marshals and the finest security money can buy can’t protect her, Larkin’s wealthy family turns to the one man money can’t buy - Joe Pike. Pike lives a world away from the palaces of Beverly Hills. He’s an ex-cop, ex-Marine, ex-mercenary who owes a bad man a favor, and that favor is to keep Larkin alive. The one upside of the job is reuniting with Bud Flynn, Pike’s LAPD training officer, and a man Pike reveres as a father. The downside is Larkin Barkley, who is the uncontrollable cover girl for self-destruction - and as deeply alone as Pike. Pike commits himself to protecting the girl, but when they immediately come under fire, he realizes someone is selling them out. In defiance of Bud and the authorities, Pike drops off the grid with the girl and follows his own rules of survival: strike fast, hit hard, hunt down the hunters. With the help of private investigator Elvis Cole, Pike uncovers a web of lies and betrayals, and the stunning revelation that even the cops are not who they seem. As the body count rises, Pike’s biggest threat might come from the girl herself, a lost soul in the City of Angels, determined to destroy herself unless Joe Pike can teach her the value of life…and love.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:08 -0400)

Working as a bodyguard for a spoiled federal witness, Joe Pike hatches a desperate plan to disappear with the woman in the underworld of Los Angeles and turn on her would-be killers, an effort in which he enlists the help of private investigator Elvis Cole.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,535,756 books! | Top bar: Always visible