Frenchtown Summer by Robert Cormier

Frenchtown Summer

by Robert Cormier

Frenchtown Summer was a fantasic book, the book begun as he went to go get a haircut at the barber, he talks about how he hears the adults drinking a cup of joe and talking about the news. He also has friends in frenchtown that swim in the river after the workers from the comb shops dump in red, purple or green dyes. He lived on the third floor of a piazza, from there he could see every part of frenchtown. He would never walk by the cemetery because he heard that before he was born someone was murdered right in the cemetery. As his Frenchtown summer was nearing an end, He and everyone else in frenchtown saw an airplane land in the back of somebodys backyard... the rest of his summer was a fun-filled action packed. So go pick up Frenchtown summer at your local bookstore!!
  br13jaga | Sep 13, 2012 |
This book is now very near and dear to me. I should start by explaining why I choose to read Frenchtown Summer. In November, I went to a presentation by the Worcester Review, at the town library. The Worcester review had produced a publication about Robert Cormier and his works, called The Man Next Door. Robert Cormier was from my home town "Monument" and his works all include the town of "Monument." When I was growing up, every student of "Monument" public schools was required to read a book by Robert Cormier, although there was much controversy about his books through out the country. Many parents believe his subject matter is too dark and deep for children of the Young Adult age group, I disagree. During the presentation, a number of participants named Frenchtown Summer as their favorite book by Mr. Cormier. I personally had only read We All Fall Down and didn't even remember what it was about or if I had enjoyed it.
Frenchtown Summer is all about the streets I grew up on. The street Eugene lives on is where my best friend had her first apartment. I walked my dog down Pee Alley last week and the boys who played there are now the men who have breakfast together every morning at Friendly's. Not only is this a nostalgic book for me, it introduces many topics pre-teens struggle with, it is a quick book to read and I would recommend it to anyone and everyone. ( )
1 vote faith42love | Mar 8, 2009 |
Frenchtown Summer by Robert Cormier (2001)
  Francostudies | Feb 5, 2009 |
The poetry of Frenchtown Summer describes Eugene’s experiences from one summer of his childhood in Frenchtown. On the cusp of adolescence, Eugene experiences a crush on a nun, is saddened by the death of a uncle, and finds a way to finally bond with his distant father.

Frenchtown Summer was published in 1999 by Laurel-Leaf Books, it is a recent addition to the long line of challenging books Robert Cormier has presented to the public over the recent decades. Plot and intense conflict take a back seat to style and the subtle flow of Cormier’s memoir-like accounts of Eugene’s experiences. Cormier’s free verse poetry, while not perfect in its tightness or few scattered images, is still wonderful and enjoyable because of its emotion and humor. The relationships among the many, almost too many, characters are believable and any reader will be excited for Eugene when his father finally allows a unique connection to develop between them. A fast read, Frenchtown Summer will help readers new or fearful to poetry to open up to this form of writing.
  SJKessel | Jan 18, 2009 |
A series of vignettes in free verse in which the writer reminisces about his life as a twelve-year-old boy living in a small town during the hot summer of 1938.
  prkcs | Jan 25, 2007 |
To Bobbie, Peter, Chris and Renee
With Love, Dad
That summer in Frenchtown
in the days
when I knew my name
but did not know who I was,
we lived on the second floor
of the three-decker on Fourth Street.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440228549, Mass Market Paperback)

Robert Cormier, much-lauded author of fiction for teens, pulls a switch on his readers with this memoir in blank verse, and proves to be an equally dazzling success as a poet. The story takes place in the streets, alleys, and tenements of the French-Canadian district of Monument called Frenchtown, familiar to Cormier fans from Fade, Heroes, and Tunes for Bears to Dance To. A bookish young boy, lonely in his big family, spends his thirteenth summer watching, learning, fearing, wondering--"in the days when I knew my name, but did not know who I was." He yearns for a sign of love from his enigmatic, silent father, and hides a terrible secret about his beloved uncle and the girl whose broken body was found in the woods long ago. This is vintage Cormier--he has distilled the most powerful themes and images of his previous books into one intensely beautiful and deceptively small work. Every poem is capable of standing alone, yet each additional chapter adds insights and events to carry the story forward. The voice is natural and easy, recognizable from his earlier novels but with heightened emotional impact. Poetry-loving teens will take this book to heart, along with other verse novels like Stop Pretending, by Sonya Sones; Foreign Exchange, by Mel Glenn; and Karen Hesse's Newbery Award-winning Out of the Dust. (Ages 10 and older) --Patty Campbell

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:39:37 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,391,740 books! | Top bar: Always visible