The Used World by Haven Kimmel

Couldn't follow . Story jumped all around. Leslie didn't like it either!
Listened on audio C.J. Critt ( )
  Indygirl | Aug 4, 2016 |
It had its moments, but what bothered me most was that the three main characters were just too similar to make it interesting. I would have quit after a hundred pages if not for the fact that I was the one who got my book club to read it. My opinion did not change after finishing it. ( )
  jaydro | Jan 24, 2016 |
A beautiful book, full of weather and women. The three women who work together and whose stories inter-weave through the book are well constructed. The men are much more shadowy figures in the novel, with the exception of one vicar. Most of the novel is set in the cold of winter and you can feel the chill coming off the page, even when we move to the summer, it is not hot and sunny, but raining very, very heavily. She gets you into her characters heads and you feel everything with them; this is a warm and enchanting novel. ( )
  Tifi | Jun 10, 2010 |
I also highly recommend Something Rising (Light and Swift) and The Solace of Leaving Early. Of the three, though, this one probably has the broadest appeal to readers not completely smitten with Kimmel's idiosyncratic style. ( )
  booksinthebelfry | Mar 23, 2010 |
We come upon permanence: the rock that
abides and the word:
the city upraised like a cup in our fingers,
all hands together, the quick and the dead and the quiet.
-- Pablo Neruda, "The Heights of Macchu Picchu"

The virgins are all trimming their wicks.
--Johnny Cash, "The Man Comes Around"
For John

I borrow these words from Martin Buber:

The abyss and the light of the world,
Time's need and the craving for eternity,
Vision, event, and poetry:
Was and is dialogue with you.
Claudia Modjeski stood before a full-length mirror in the bedroom she'd inherited from her mother, pointing the gun in her right hand - a Colt .44 Single Action Army with a nickel finish and a walnut grip - at her reflected image.

The latest novel from the #1 bestselling author of A Girl Named Zippy!

Presented unabridged on 11 CDs.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:11 -0400)

The Used World Emporium is the sprawling antique store where Hazel, Claudia, and Rebekah pass their days surrounded by dusty furniture, cast-off clothes, and ancient housewares. But with the unexpected arrival of two babies--and the unfolding of not one but three love stories, each spanning generations--their formerly used world becomes new again. Heartrending, hilarious, and inspiring, this is the book that Kimmel's loyal fans have been waiting for--and it is certain to win her legions of new ones.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,887,063 books! | Top bar: Always visible