A Much Married Man by Nicholas Coleridge

A Much Married Man

by Nicholas Coleridge

Snobs by Julian Fellowes (lparks4)
    lparks4: An inside look at the British social class.

The greatest challenge in the writing of this novel was surely to make the reader sympathise with a protagonist who is heir to a massive country pile which comes with its own village and - get this - its own private bank. Somehow, by making him a self-effacing type who almost has to pinch himself every now and then ('no, I'm not dreaming, I really do own a bank') this is achieved - though my sympathy for him was vastly reduced by his failure to act decisively at the end of chapter 36.

That aside, this was a nicely paced, soapy read which follows the fortunes of its characters over a gratifyingly long period of time. It was particularly fun when, quite near the end, the characters are involved in planning a large music festival. I was at one while I was reading this which added an interesting dimension. This bit of the plot was an opportunity to have some fun (the planning stages were like something out of 'The Vicar of Dibley') and there were some wildly unlikely scenarios (not least the candles), but it was all good fun. Of all the books I've read by this author, there hasn't been a bad one yet. ( )
  jayne_charles | Sep 10, 2015 |
Fun and fluff - very good reading for a day when you have a bit of a cold or the weather's terrible outside - because Mr Coleridge can write and plot with the best of them
  otterley | Nov 11, 2012 |
I loved it!: This book was brilliant.I just wished I had saved it for my holidays!I loved Anthony and really wished he'd be happy.
Great read with funny,memorable characters who had me one minute laughing and the next groaning as so true to life.A great character study as well as a fun read.
I really recommend it and no I don't work for Nicholas Coleridge(as someone suggested the positive reviews where from his employees-daft I know!) but wish I did!
  lonepalm | Dec 8, 2011 |
Charming English fluff about a very rich, very naive young man who has terrible judgment where women are concerned. Read this this if you love light tales about eccentric people, set in bucolic English villages and Very Old Manors. ( )
  emitnick | Aug 11, 2008 |

From one of the sharpest observers of the modern scene, comes this witty, intelligent, and irresistible novel in the tradition of Gosford Park and Snobs.

A man of wealth and privilege, Anthony Anscombe has everything he could ever want: an exquisite family estate, enviable social standing, and a desirable inheritance.  But with all of his money and privilege, Anthony still has an aching desire for one thing: the perfect match.  Running headlong into marriage is Anthony's forte…and his greatest weakness.
    As Anthony surveys Winchford Priory, his beautiful Elizabethan house in the English countryside, Anthony has the distinct feeling that he's under siege. And he's absolutely right. He may be surrounded by his sprawling estate, but lurking in the village are more than one or two reminders of his complicated past, including three ex-wives, a mistress, and a legion of children and stepchildren, all dependent on him and all determined to do whatever it takes to get what they want.

Meet the wives

Amanda: the ravishing first wife.  Unpredictable and mesmerizing, she dared Anthony to fall in love with her, and he took her up on the challenge.  Anthony was head over heels from the first night they danced on the rooftop of his family home.  Of course, the free-spirited Amanda was never cut out for country life, but young love is blind.

Sandra: the steadfast second wife.  Sturdy, dependable and domesticated, Sandra pulled Anthony back from the compelling chaos that surrounded his first wife. Sandra had plans to turn Anthony's estate into a proper family home, until a stunning secret forced her to make a life-altering decision.

Dita: the snobbish third wife. A true force of nature, Dita was smart, tough, rapaciously social and high-maintenance.  She enthusiastically stormed through Anthony's life, organizing and rearranging, and rubbing plenty of people the wrong way, particularly the previous Mrs. Anscombes and their children.

With the entire cast of his life roosting in the village, it's no wonder Anthony doesn't have a minute's peace!  Adding to the crazy mix is the mistress, Nora, a new age hippy and acupuncturist, whom Anthony seduced with disastrous consequences.

A Much Married Man is a wickedly funny social satire with memorable characters that will stay with readers long after the final page.  Like a modern day Edith Wharton or Anthony Trollope, Nicholas Coleridge delivers a sensational glimpse inside the salacious world of the upper classes.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:08 -0400)

Social satire in the manner of Edith Wharton or Anthony Trollope. A man of wealth and privilege, Anthony Anscombe has everything he could ever want: an exquisite family estate, enviable social standing, and a desirable inheritance. But with all of his money and privilege, Anthony still has an aching desire for one thing: the perfect match. Running headlong into marriage is Anthony's forte--and his greatest weakness. As Anthony surveys Winchford Priory, his beautiful Elizabethan house in the English countryside, he has the distinct feeling that he's under siege. And he's absolutely right. Lurking in the village are more than one or two reminders of his complicated past, including three ex-wives, a mistress, and a legion of children and stepchildren, all dependent on him and all determined to do whatever it takes to get what they want.--From publisher description.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,624,070 books! | Top bar: Always visible