Lord of the Flies Centenary Edition by…

Lord of the Flies Centenary Edition (original 1954; edition 2011)

by William Golding, Stephen King (Introduction)

37,65858428 (3.73)1 / 964
Member:DWallaceFleming
Title:Lord of the Flies Centenary Edition
Authors:William Golding
Other authors:Stephen King (Introduction)
Info:Perigee Trade (2011), Edition: Centennial, Paperback, 304 pages

Lord of the Flies by William Golding (Author) (1954)

Battle Royale by Koushun Takami (JGKC, Panairjdde)
    Panairjdde: Two books that explore the survival instinct of people, even at youg age, as fueled by fear and lust for violence
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (FFortuna)
    The Cement Garden by Ian McEwan (KayCliff)
    A High Wind in Jamaica by Richard Hughes (pitjrw)
    pitjrw: Similar outlook on youth but a lot funnier and great description of a hurricane that plays the same role as the nuclear holacaust in Lord.
    High-Rise by J. G. Ballard (bertilak)
    bertilak: Two books about 'civilized' people becoming tribal and violent. However, Ballard is a disinterested diagnostician and Golding is a moralist.
    The Beach by Alex Garland (booklove2, mcenroeucsb)
    booklove2: The Beach is like Lord of the Flies for adults, starring adults.
    Tunnel in the Sky by Robert A. Heinlein (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: A more optimistic view of young people in a society of their own- I read this on my own from the school library a few years before Lord of the Flies was required reading, and it seemed much more reasonable to me.
    Friday and Robinson: life on Esperanza Island by Michel Tournier (yokai)
    Nip the Buds, Shoot the Kids by Kenzaburō Ōe (JuliaMaria)
    JuliaMaria: Kinder auf sich allein gestellt - was sagt es über die Gesellschaft aus?
    Under The Dome by Stephen King (sturlington)
    sturlington: Under the Dome is an adult version of Lord of the Flies.
    The Only Ones by Aaron Starmer (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: A world without adults with some differences and similarities.
    Queen of Stones by Emma Tennant (KayCliff)
    The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks (villanova)
    Here (away from it all) by Polly Hope (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    Robinson Crusoe [Norton Critical Edition] by Daniel Defoe (TomWaitsTables)
    The Coral Island by R. M. Ballantyne (Cecrow)
    Variant by Robison Wells (JenniferRobb)
    Gone by Michael Grant (Anonymous user)
    Animal Farm by George Orwell (sturlington)
    After the Rain by John Bowen (edwinbcn)

1950s (14)
Read (44)
1960s (109)

English (538)  Italian (10)  Spanish (8)  French (7)  Finnish (6)  Dutch (5)  German (3)  Danish (2)  Swedish (1)  Catalan (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (583)
I have an issue with this book. No, it isn't the way that it is written, it isn't any of the characters, and it isn't anything about possibility or realism or whatever. I was never forced to read it in school so I don't have that irrational hatred of the material that some people might have.

My issue is that the story is such a touchstone for our culture as a whole that I know what's going to happen. On the other hand, I think I was spoiled for Book 7 of Harry Potter and I still read that, so I don't know what my excuse is here. I guess it is a combination of things. For one, I know the basic plot. I saw that one episode of The Simpsons where they have the Mock U.N. and get stranded and are saved by Moe. So then it becomes a problem, should I spend my time reading this cultural milestone that displays the darkness in the heart of mankind?

Sure, why not? I mean, it's a pretty good way to spend an afternoon. So as I find out a lot of the plot points were left out in the adaptations that I saw. It's quite well done as a whole. The characters are believable and have depth. At the same time, though, they are kind of telegraphed in some cases. I guess the story is pretty much about our proclivity to war. Other than that I don't have anything insightful to say.

Initially, I took this out of the library, but since I didn't have a deadline for it besides the return date, I let it lapse and did not read it for the longest time. The Stephen King introduction was pretty good but other than that, there is nothing to say about the book as a whole. ( )
  Floyd3345 | Jun 15, 2019 |
I find it funny that most people don't seem to like this book, either because they find the "mob mentality" depressing but feel it is realistic. Alternately there are those who do not like it because they feel that it is unrealistic. To accept it as realistic, to them, would be admitting that we are all basically evil and selfish at the core and if left to our own devices would deteriorate into a "mob". What I see from this is that both groups are missing a vital part of the story. What about the few who were not a part of the mob? Persecuted though they were, not all of the boys followed along or were willing to do 'anything' to fit in. I think, though exaggerated, it is a pretty accurate picture of most Elementary/Jr. High schools out there! They may not be stabbing each other with homemade spears, but they are inflicting harm in order to gain status within their "group". How many young people have joined in to tease the fat kid, smelly kid, smart kid, to get a laugh or impress "friends"? How many have simply not spoken up in their defense?

Exaggerated? Yes. But, not unrealistic! ( )
  Amelia1989 | Jun 10, 2019 |
A good book, that's for sure. It works really well when you see it all as a deep critic about human behaviour and the strucuture of human society: how there will always be those that will rule by force and that when we stop listening and kill our society's voice of reason, violence and madness install and we lose sense of what made us human in the first place. Or, this is what being human actually and primitively means?

On the other hand, I found the writing boring in the beginning and the characters aren't really that interesting, since I felt that represent more ideas than real people. That works in the grand scheme of things but I think that this can make the book feel kinda empty at times, which is why I think this book is so short.

But, in the end, this book is definetly worth a read and makes good use of its choices for metaphors and minimalistic dialogue, so that you the reader can witness and take notes about the barbarity that is within all of us, just waiting for the perfect opportunity to get out. ( )
  melosomelo | May 26, 2019 |
Wow - what a read! I'm not exactly sure what I was expecting, but it wasn't really this. A beautifully written tale of a group of boys stranded on an island as a result of an airplane crash. With no adults around, they start to organize under a leader, Ralph, who gets them set on tasks like building shelters and most importantly keeping a fire going so that the smoke will be noticed and they will be rescued. Ralph's main competitor is Jack, who just wants to hunt the feral pigs on the island. The longer they are there, their civilized nature starts to fall apart and it gets pretty gruesome! ( )
  LisaMorr | May 24, 2019 |
Ich sag es ja: Kinder sind Arschlöcher epischen Ausmaßes. ( )
  Horrortorte | May 17, 2019 |
There is no blinking the fact that this English schoolmaster turned novelist understands growing boys to the heart; one must go back to"High Wind in Jamaica" to find a comparable tour de force. The uneasy conviction persists that he despises the child who is father to the man-and the man as well. Homo sapiens needs all the friends he can find these days, in and out of novels.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times, William du Bois (pay site) (Oct 21, 1955)

"Lord of the Flies" is an allegory on human society today, the novel's primary implication being that what we have come to call civilization is, at best, skin deep. With undertones of "1984" and "High Wind in Jamaica," this brilliant work is a frightening parody on man's return (in a few weeks) to that state of darkness from which it took him thousands of years to return. Fully to succeed, a fantasy must approach very close to reality. "Lord of the Flies" does. It must also be superbly written. It is.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times Book Review, James Stern (pay site) (Oct 23, 1954)

Golding, WilliamAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kinkead-Weekes, MarkIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Miedema, NiekTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Perkki, JuhanaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Smolka, DieterHerausgebersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my mother and father
The boy with fair hair lowered himself down the last few feet of rock and began to pick his way toward the lagoon.
The urge to put things into categories seems to satisfy some deep human need and in this matter at least, critics and historians of literature are very human people indeed. (Introduction)
His voice rose under the black smoke before the burning wreckage of the island; and infected by that emotion, the other little boys began to shake and sob too. And in the middle of them, with filthy body, matted hair, and unwiped nose, Ralph wept for the end of innocence, the darkness of man's heart, and the fall through the air of the true, wise friend called Piggy.
Maybe there is a beast - maybe it's only us.

When Lord of the Flies appeared in 1954 it received unprecedented reviews for a first novel. Critics used such phrases as "beautifully written, tragic and provocative...vivid and enthralling...this beautiful and desperate book...completely convincing and often very frightening...its progress is magnificent...like a fragment of nightmare...a dizzy climax of terror...the terrible spell of this book..." E.M. Forster chose it as the Outstanding Novel of the Year. Time and Tide touched upon perhaps the most important facet of this book when it said, "It is not only a first-rate adventure story but a parable of our times," and articles on this and subsequent Golding novels have stressed these twin aspects of Golding: a consummate control of the novel form, and a superb all-encompassing vision of reality which communicates itself with a power reminiscent of Conrad.

AR Level 5.0, 9 Pts.
Diverging lenses
To start a fire? Golding knew
Nothing of optics.
(thorold)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0399501487, Mass Market Paperback)

William Golding's classic tale about a group of English schoolboys who are plane-wrecked on a deserted island is just as chilling and relevant today as when it was first published in 1954. At first, the stranded boys cooperate, attempting to gather food, make shelters, and maintain signal fires. Overseeing their efforts are Ralph, "the boy with fair hair," and Piggy, Ralph's chubby, wisdom-dispensing sidekick whose thick spectacles come in handy for lighting fires. Although Ralph tries to impose order and delegate responsibility, there are many in their number who would rather swim, play, or hunt the island's wild pig population. Soon Ralph's rules are being ignored or challenged outright. His fiercest antagonist is Jack, the redheaded leader of the pig hunters, who manages to lure away many of the boys to join his band of painted savages. The situation deteriorates as the trappings of civilization continue to fall away, until Ralph discovers that instead of being hunters, he and Piggy have become the hunted: "He forgot his words, his hunger and thirst, and became fear; hopeless fear on flying feet." Golding's gripping novel explores the boundary between human reason and animal instinct, all on the brutal playing field of adolescent competition. --Jennifer Hubert

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:22 -0400)

The classic study of human nature which depicts the degeneration of a group of schoolboys marooned on a desert island.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,394,358 books! | Top bar: Always visible