Lord of the flies : a novel by William…

Lord of the flies : a novel (original 1954; edition 1958)

by William Golding

30,26745727 ()1 / 757
Member:OWSLibrary
Title:Lord of the flies : a novel
Authors:William Golding
Info:Faber, 1958.

Lord of the Flies by William Golding (1954)

Battle Royale by Koushun Takami (JGKC, Panairjdde)
    Panairjdde: Two books that explore the survival instinct of people, even at youg age, as fueled by fear and lust for violence
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (FFortuna)
    Animal Farm by George Orwell (literarybuff)
    literarybuff: Both of these books are allegories that make the reader question whether or not there really are differences between animal nature and human nature.
    The Cement Garden by Ian McEwan (KayCliff)
    High-Rise by J. G. Ballard (bertilak)
    bertilak: Two books about 'civilized' people becoming tribal and violent. However, Ballard is a disinterested diagnostician and Golding is a moralist.
    Friday and Robinson: life on Esperanza Island by Michel Tournier (yokai)
    Tunnel in the Sky by Robert A. Heinlein (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: A more optimistic view of young people in a society of their own- I read this on my own from the school library a few years before Lord of the Flies was required reading, and it seemed much more reasonable to me.
    A High Wind in Jamaica by Richard Hughes (pitjrw)
    pitjrw: Similar outlook on youth but a lot funnier and great description of a hurricane that plays the same role as the nuclear holacaust in Lord.
    The Only Ones by Aaron Starmer (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: A world without adults with some differences and similarities.
    The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks (villanova)
    Under the Dome by Stephen King (sturlington)
    sturlington: Under the Dome is an adult version of Lord of the Flies.
    Nip the Buds, Shoot the Kids by Kenzaburō Ōe (JuliaMaria)
    JuliaMaria: Kinder auf sich allein gestellt - was sagt es über die Gesellschaft aus?
    The Beach by Alex Garland (booklove2, mcenroeucsb)
    booklove2: The Beach is like Lord of the Flies for adults, starring adults.
    Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank (sturlington)
    Robinson Crusoe [Norton Critical Edition] by Daniel Defoe (one-horse.library)
    Savages by Shirley Conran (shesinplainview)
    After the Rain by John Bowen (edwinbcn)
    Orphan Island by Rose Macaulay (KayCliff)
    I'm the King of the Castle by Susan Hill (KayCliff)
    The Drifting Classroom, Vol. 1 by Kazuo Umezu (scotchpenicillin)
    scotchpenicillin: Comment des enfants confontés à une situation extraordinaire re-construisent un semblant de société...

1950s (7)
1960s (94)
Read (43)
Unread books (1,053)

English (421)  Italian (7)  Dutch (6)  Finnish (6)  French (6)  Spanish (5)  German (3)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  Hebrew (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (458)
One of the deeply disturbing books I have read. ( )
  durgaprsd04 | Feb 25, 2015 |
Shockiŋ expoſé of ðe good savage myþ. ( )
  leandrod | Feb 10, 2015 |
I am doing this review in my English class. This book is a good book. Its exiting but it is hard to understand at times because of the hard grammar. It gives lots of detail and has the true nature of a human being. Evil does exist and it tells in this book. It may not be true but it could happen. I've only read three chapters of this book and what happens is interesting. With them crashing to grouping together from the conch and deciding who does what and who's in charge and thing. Being that Ralph blew the conch he was considered the chief. Trying to build a bot fire with dry dead plants didn't go as planed because it wasn't smoky enough like they planed. When they first found out there was pigs, they didn't kill it because jack got scarred for some od reason and he got away. Everyone when they found out people called Piggy, Piggy they all laughed because it was funny to them. Piggy didn't like it at all and he only told Ralph and ralph told everyone else. He wasn't happy with Ralph because Piggy told him not to tell anyone but he told everyone because Ralph thought it was funny. The name Piggy stuck with him because that's what everyone knew him as. I would recommend this book to a higher level reader because of the grammar. It is hard to understand at times, but it is a exiting book and is a good book. ( )
  PeterLickinPan | Jan 20, 2015 |
Humanity at his finest. ( )
  Hack | Jan 18, 2015 |
READ IN ENGLISH

I discovered this book right after finishing my English literature class, which was a shame, as it would have fit perfectly in with the other books (it was the period of my growing interest in Dystopian literature, and I felt it would have been in its place with 1984, Brave New World and Fahrenheit 451).

However, even being too late to add it to my reading list (of course) didn't stop my from reading it! And I'm very glad I did, because I really enjoyed it (a lot more than I had expected).

These kids on this island (we never get to know them very well, but everything about them screams upper class - While reading I kept thinking they were from some private school somewhere). You'd thought that they would try to remain civilized, and at the beginning they really try to. But the shocking part of this book was (in my humble opinion) the fact that they loose civilization so fast after the structure of society broke down and they are feared. It left me feeling uncomfortable. The ending was a bit weird though, I'm not sure what to think of it... ( )
  Floratina | Jan 4, 2015 |
There is no blinking the fact that this English schoolmaster turned novelist understands growing boys to the heart; one must go back to"High Wind in Jamaica" to find a comparable tour de force. The uneasy conviction persists that he despises the child who is father to the man-and the man as well. Homo sapiens needs all the friends he can find these days, in and out of novels.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times, William du Bois (pay site) (Oct 21, 1955)

"Lord of the Flies" is an allegory on human society today, the novel's primary implication being that what we have come to call civilization is, at best, skin deep. With undertones of "1984" and "High Wind in Jamaica," this brilliant work is a frightening parody on man's return (in a few weeks) to that state of darkness from which it took him thousands of years to return. Fully to succeed, a fantasy must approach very close to reality. "Lord of the Flies" does. It must also be superbly written. It is.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times Book Review, James Stern (pay site) (Oct 23, 1954)

William Goldingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Déry, TiborTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Epstein, E. L.Afterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jessurun d'Oliveira, H.U.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Perkki, JuhanaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my mother and father
The boy with fair hair lowered himself down the last few feet of rock and began to pick his way toward the lagoon.
His voice rose under the black smoke before the burning wreckage of the island; and infected by that emotion, the other little boys began to shake and sob too. And in the middle of them, with filthy body, matted hair, and unwiped nose, Ralph wept for the end of innocence, the darkness of man's heart, and the fall through the air of the true, wise friend called Piggy.
Maybe there is a beast - maybe it's only us.

When Lord of the Flies appeared in 1954 it received unprecedented reviews for a first novel. Critics used such phrases as "beautifully written, tragic and provocative...vivid and enthralling...this beautiful and desperate book...completely convincing and often very frightening...its progress is magnificent...like a fragment of nightmare...a dizzy climax of terror...the terrible spell of this book..." E.M. Forster chose it as the Outstanding Novel of the Year. Time and Tide touched upon perhaps the most important facet of this book when it said, "It is not only a first-rate adventure story but a parable of our times," and articles on this and subsequent Golding novels have stressed these twin aspects of Golding: a consummate control of the novel form, and a superb all-encompassing vision of reality which communicates itself with a power reminiscent of Conrad.
Diverging lenses
To start a fire? Golding knew
Nothing of optics.
(thorold)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0399501487, Mass Market Paperback)

William Golding's classic tale about a group of English schoolboys who are plane-wrecked on a deserted island is just as chilling and relevant today as when it was first published in 1954. At first, the stranded boys cooperate, attempting to gather food, make shelters, and maintain signal fires. Overseeing their efforts are Ralph, "the boy with fair hair," and Piggy, Ralph's chubby, wisdom-dispensing sidekick whose thick spectacles come in handy for lighting fires. Although Ralph tries to impose order and delegate responsibility, there are many in their number who would rather swim, play, or hunt the island's wild pig population. Soon Ralph's rules are being ignored or challenged outright. His fiercest antagonist is Jack, the redheaded leader of the pig hunters, who manages to lure away many of the boys to join his band of painted savages. The situation deteriorates as the trappings of civilization continue to fall away, until Ralph discovers that instead of being hunters, he and Piggy have become the hunted: "He forgot his words, his hunger and thirst, and became fear; hopeless fear on flying feet." Golding's gripping novel explores the boundary between human reason and animal instinct, all on the brutal playing field of adolescent competition. --Jennifer Hubert

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:38:36 -0400)

The classic tale of a group of English school boys who are left stranded on an unpopulated island, and who must confront not only the defects of their society but the defects of their own nature. Lord of the Flies remains as provocative today as when it was first published in 1954, igniting passionate debate with its startling, brutal portrait of human nature. Though critically acclaimed, it was largely ignored upon its initial publication. Yet soon it became a cult favorite among both students and literary critics who compared it to J.D. Salinger's The Catcher in the Rye in its influence on modern thought and literature. Labeled a parable, an allegory, a myth, a morality tale, a parody, a political treatise, even a vision of the apocalypse, Lord of the Flies has established itself as a true classic.… (more)

3 1953

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,680,903 books! | Top bar: Always visible