Who Wants a Cheap Rhinoceros? by Shel…

Who Wants a Cheap Rhinoceros? (1964)

by Shel Silverstein

Summary: This poem starts describing a very cute rhinoceros for sale. The rhinoceros is sweet, fat, and huggable and as quiet as a mouse. Then it goes on to describe all of the ways he could be useful around the house, such as eating bad report cards before your parents see them and being a perfect jump rope partner.

Personal Reactions: This is such a cute story with great illustrations. Some of the lines made me sad, like the line about the rhinoceros being good to yell at because of the picture of a crying rhinoceros. Shel Silverstein was a big part of my childhood and I liked reading this as an adult.

Classroom Extensions: 1. This could be incorporated with a lesson plan about Shel Silverstein.
2. I would have the kids write a journal entry about what animal they would love to have as a pet and how that animal would help them around the house.
3. I think this is an excellent addition to a lesson plan on poetry. ( )
  emcnally | Apr 16, 2016 |
Grades: Pre-3
Theme: Unusual pets
  creykellums | Apr 8, 2016 |
PFL
  ccsdss | Feb 24, 2016 |
This is a cute little book about if you had a rhinoceros for a pet. Shel Silverstein has quite the imagination of all the good and bad things you can do with a rhinoceros. His illustrations are essential into understanding each part of the text. I enjoyed this book very much. I found myself laughing at some of these ridiculous reasons for having a rhinoceros for a pet. ( )
  Sleco | Nov 2, 2015 |
24 months - picked this one up at Goodwill and wasn't sure about it but was hoping the author of The Giving Tree wouldn't disappoint. Olivia really enjoyed this book from the first read and has asked for it over and over. My first reaction was it's ok but not a book I could read over and over... well we've read it numerous times and it's growing on me. I'd give it a 3, Olivia would probably say a 4 but neither of us would want a cheap Rhinoceros in the house. ( )
  maddiemoof | Oct 20, 2015 |

Shel Silverstein

Who wants a cheap

Rhinoceros?

Looking for a new pet? Bored with cats, dogs, goldfish, gerbils, and hamsters? How about a cheap rhinoceros?

Shel Silverstein's loving look at the joys of rhino ownership may convince you to be the one lucky kid to take home this very, very unusual pet.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:05 -0400)

There are lots of things a rhinoceros can do around one's house, including eating bad report cards before one's parents see them, tiptoeing downstairs for a midnight snack, and collecting extra allowance.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,429,710 books! | Top bar: Always visible