A Cook's Tour: Global Adventures in Extreme…

A Cook's Tour: Global Adventures in Extreme Cuisines

by Anthony Bourdain

Recently added bycherro, lesleyum, kimmy1026, Lindsaymadge, Ennaras79, LitaVore, private library

English (51)  Italian (1)  All (52)
A pleasant surprise. He writes like he speaks on his shows. Insightful if over the top on a few subjects (vegetarians, Vietnam War, cook from San Francisco) he had a great grasp of where he was and very very humorous. Look forward to reading more of his books. ( )
  JBreedlove | Mar 20, 2017 |
A wonderful companion to the TV series of the same name. Bourdain's witty prose gives a deep insight into the world he lived in behind the camera during his year abroad searching for "the perfect meal" and lets even the most the casual reader experience his horror and delight as he's confronted by the next plate set before him. He opens a door to countries many of us will never visit and details delicious and strange foods we may never get to eat or may be too scared to eat. In my opinion it was a great book that I would definitely read again. ( )
  KendraFitz | Feb 27, 2017 |
I'm a huge fan of Anthony Bourdain and A Cook's Tour did not disappoint. It was really amazing to me how his tv 'voice' is so close to his more personal voice. I will definitely be reading more of his books in the future.

Also, a huge traveller myself it was really nice to read about places that I'd been or that are currently on my to-do list. ( )
  sscarllet | Nov 23, 2016 |
Like tony is standing right there reading the book to you. Skipped the animal slaughter parts...ugh. ( )
  Alphawoman | Sep 21, 2016 |
Tale of a man's travels around the world to get drunk, stoned, and eat gross stuff while trailing a television crew and sniping at other TV chefs. Self indulgent and boring. ( )
  debs913 | Apr 2, 2016 |
To Nancy
Dear Nancy, I'm about as far away from you as I've ever been - a hotel (the hotel, actually, in Pailin, a miserable one-horse dunghole in northwest Cambodia, home to those not-so-adorable scamps, the Khmer Rouge.

Bourdain went on a globe-trotting experience to record his experiences as he consumed some of the world's most peculiar meals: a cobra heart washed down by cobra bile in Vietnam, a deep-fried Mars bar in Scotland, sheep's tesitcles in Morocco, roasted bone marrow in England,m poisonous blowfish in Japan. It's all very enlightening and amusing, especially when Bourdain complains of having to perform for the camera when all he really wants to do is eat. -Book Lovers Calendar

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060012781, Paperback)

A Cook's Tour is the written record of Anthony Bourdain's travels around the world in his search for the perfect meal. All too conscious of the state of his 44-year-old knees after a working life standing at restaurant stoves, but with the unlooked-for jackpot of Kitchen Confidential as collateral, Mr. Bourdain evidently concluded he needed a bit more wind under his wings.

The idea of "perfect meal" in this context is to be taken to mean not necessarily the most upscale, chi-chi, three-star dining experience, but the ideal combination of food, atmosphere, and company. This would take in fishing villages in Vietnam, bars in Cambodia, and Tuareg camps in Morocco (roasted sheep's testicle, as it happens); it would stretch to smoked fish and sauna in the frozen Russian countryside and the French Laundry in California's Napa Valley. It would mean exquisitely refined kaiseki rituals in Japan after yakitori with drunken salarymen. Deep-fried Mars Bars in Glasgow and Gordon Ramsay in London. The still-beating heart of a cobra in Saigon. Drink. Danger. Guns. All with a TV crew in tow for the accompanying series--22 episodes of video gold, we are assured, featuring many don't-try-this-at-home shots of the author in gastric distress or crawling into yet another storm drain at four in the morning.

You are unlikely to lay your hands on a more hectically, strenuously entertaining book for some time. Our hero eats and swashbuckles round the globe with perfect-pitch attitude and liberal use of judiciously placed profanities. Bourdain can write. His timing is great. He is very funny and is under no illusions whatsoever about himself or anyone else. But most of all, he is a chef who got himself out of his kitchen and found, all over the world, people who understand that eating well is the foundation of harmonious living. --Robin Davidson, Amazon.co.uk

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:09 -0400)

From Japan where he eats traditional fugu, a poisonous blowfish that can only be prepared by specially licensed chefs, to a delectable snack in the Mecong Delta, follows the author as he embarks on a quest around the world to find the ultimate meal.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,168,785 books! | Top bar: Always visible