The Red House Mystery ..............Prtd, eb…

The Red House Mystery ..............Prtd, eb & AB, no immersion (original 1922; edition 1949)

by A. A. Milne (Author), NARRATOR; William Sutherland, SOURCES; Prtd LR / Amazon Kindle Store (eB) / Audible.com (AB), DEVICES: Kindle Fire / iPod / all Audible Apps, ..............

Member:ebeach
Title:The Red House Mystery ..............Prtd, eb & AB, no immersion
Authors:A. A. Milne (Author)
Other authors:NARRATOR; William Sutherland, SOURCES; Prtd LR / Amazon Kindle Store (eB) / Audible.com (AB), DEVICES: Kindle Fire / iPod / all Audible Apps, ..............
Info:
Collections:Your library, Have Read &/or Listened To, eBook or iBook, Audiobook
Rating:***
Tags:800 LITERATURE: FICTION, Novel, Mystery, British Author

The Red House Mystery by A. A. Milne (1922)

English (44)  Finnish (1)  All (45)
A very fun murder mystery with lots of unexpected little twists and turns. Ultimately solved by an unexpected passer-by that had the misfortune of showing up just as the ghastly event took place, our sleuth has the blessing of absolutely no prior knowledge of anyone or anything, and is thus freed of the preconceived notions of the rest. A remarkable casualness to the entire official investigation allows our hero free reign to ultimately figure it out. Slightly quirky, but a very fun, quick read. ( )
  jeffome | Dec 29, 2016 |
A cute little mystery with wisps of Agatha Christie. It was just kind of easy to guess who done it, and I usually can NEVER figure that out! ( )
  Iambookish | Dec 14, 2016 |
A nice edition of A.A.Milne's one and only detective story, set in a country house belonging to a wealthy man who extends his hospitality to friends who come to stay for a weekend (to play golf, bowls etc.) or longer. As in Cluedo and many Christie novels there is a murder - behind a locked door. Brothers, cousins, girlfriends, hangers-on, who dunnit?

There is a great deal of cogitation, a secret passage, missing keys, and detailed description of the layout of the Red House which has led the editors of this edition to include a map as the endpapers. On p. xix (introduction) the reader is told that the map proved more difficult than expected, and this is hardly surprising as the bowling green moves from west to east halfway through the book. I read it all very carefully, with constant references to the map, and came up with quite a few discrepancies which I feel tempted to list below, but maybe I won't as I'm not fond of spoilers.

Apart from some little weaknesses in the plot, it was an enjoyable read and led me to think about the bygone times of maids, housekeepers and houseguests.

Incidentally, I did guess what happened quite early on, but not the whys and the wherefores. ( )
  overthemoon | Nov 26, 2016 |
A classic mystery of yesteryear. Invoked the Sherlock Holmes/Agatha Christy method of investigation by reasoning, logic and observation. Enjoyable and relaxing read. ( )
  Bettesbooks | Aug 8, 2016 |
A.A. Milne is known for Winnie the Pooh. This was a great surprise.

With a taste of Sherlock Holmes and Peter Whimsey, this mystery took place at a strange Red House. One brother murdered the other, but who murdered who?

As you read along and come upon the clues you may think you have it, but then things veer off in another direction. Quite the mind game. ( )
  ChazziFrazz | Jun 23, 2016 |

Simon, ElisabethTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Taylor, Wendell HertigPrefacesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
TO JOHN VINE MILNE

My dear father,

Like all really nice people, you have a weakness for detective stories, and feel that there are not enough of them. So, after all that you have done for me, the least that I can do for you is write you one. Here it is: with more gratitude and affection than I can well put down here.

A.A.M.
When I told my agent a few years ago that I was going to write a detective story, he recovered as quickly as could be expected, but made it clear to me (as a succession of editors and publisher made it clear, later, to him) that what the country wanted from "a well-known 'Punch' humorist" was a "humorous story".
(Introduction)
In the drowsy heat of the summer afternoon the Red House was taking its siesta.
To Antony, who was older and who realized into what deep waters they were getting, it did not seem fun. But it was amazingly interesting. He saw so much, and yet somehow it was all out of focus. It was like looking at an opal, and discovering with every movement of it some new colour, some new gleam of light reflected, and yet never really seeing the opal as a whole. He was too near it, or too far away; he strained his eyes and he relaxed his eyes; it was no good. His brain could not get hold of it. But there were moments when he almost had it ... and then turned away from it. (Vintage Books 2008, p. 121)

A "locked-room" murder

solved by pair of witty Brits

just in time for tea.

(legallypuzzled)

This droll whodunit from the creator of Winnie the Pooh sparkles with witty dialogue, deft plotting, and an amusing cast. In between taking tea and playing billiards, an amateur detective and his chum investigate their genial host's disappearance. A series of lighthearted capers ensues, replete with secret passageways, underwater evidence, and other atmospheric devices.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:31 -0400)

This droll whodunit from the creator of Winnie the Pooh sparkles with witty dialogue, deft plotting, and an amusing cast. In between taking tea and playing billiards, an amateur detective and his chum investigate their genial host's disappearance. A series of lighthearted capers ensues, replete with secret passageways, underwater evidence, and other atmospheric devices.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,243,505 books! | Top bar: Always visible