Almost A Gentleman by Pam Rosenthal

Almost A Gentleman

by Pam Rosenthal

I didn't finish this because I figured out whodunnit before page 75 and the sex wasn't hot enough for me to continue.
  MoriahJovan | Sep 23, 2013 |
A very intriguing book! Unusual plot -- a little stretch of the imagination, but clever. Really liked the male lead -- mature, kind, decent. Good book! ( )
  doxiemomx2 | Nov 14, 2010 |
Phoebe, alias Phillip "Phiz" Marston, the heroine of Almost a Gentleman, is an amazing creation. I've never before encountered a character like her and have to tip my hat to the author for so exquisitely executing this challenging, intriguing, and powerful exploration of Phoebe's transformation, double life, and sexuality. Almost a Gentleman is a romance novel of course, but I found myself more interested in the questions of gender and identity this book raised, and Phoebe's life as and reasons for acting as a man, than I was in her relationship with the hero. She is strong and compelling, a character who has been the victim of circumstances and brutality in the past, but who has survived and grasped control of her life with brilliancy and flair. I was so impressed with Phiz that I was a little reluctant/sad to see him abandoned once Phoebe became involved with the hero, Lord David Hervey, the Earl of Linseley. (Though David is by no means a disappointment - he's a great hero who's perfect for Phoebe.) That might mean I missed the point of the story, but Rosenthal writes so well that I think you can take away from this book any number of things - a great love story, a woman's path to wholeness and healing, and a vivid depiction of London life that goes so much farther than the superficial balls and rides in the park that preoccupy most romances. And when Phoebe does get her happily ever after, it seems the time is right to lay Phiz to rest at the end. Truly an achievement, an intelligent, compelling, and above all unique read. ( )
  theshadowknows | Nov 22, 2008 |
Well written romance, with good sense of time and place. Good characterisation. A book I liked and was happy to read but did not love. ( )
  amf0001 | Dec 30, 2006 |
For my mother, Anne Ritterman
London, 1819, Kate?

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0758204434, Paperback)

For three years, London's haute town has been captivated by the cool elegance of Philip "Phizz" Marston. Tall, refined, an expert gambler with a cold, unerring eye for style, what keeps the ruthless social climbers attuned to this dandy's every move is something more unsettling...a grace and beauty that leaves women and men alike in a state of unthinkable yearning...Lord David Hervey must be losing his mind. How else explain the disturbing desires he feels whenever his eyes meet the penetrating gaze of Mr. Marston? When he overhears a threat on the gentleman's life, he intervenes and alone discovers the glorious truth...beneath the bindings of Mr. Marston's masquerade hides an exquisite body that is every bit a woman's...Armed with desire and entrusted with her bold game, Lord David won't give up till the lady gives in, revealing herself to him completely, surrendering her deepest secrets with every persuasive pleasure he can offer...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:28 -0400)

In this dazzling debut novel, Rosenthal introduces a heroine whose lust for revenge leads her to a daring masquerade in which the slightest glance could plunge her into a dangerous discovery.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,404,519 books! | Top bar: Always visible