Blue Moon Rising by Simon R. Green

Blue Moon Rising (1989)

by Simon R. Green

Dragon Prince by Melanie Rawn (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: Virgin princes ftw.
    The Ladies of Mandrigyn by Barbara Hambly (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For upsetting the 'natural order of things.'

English (11)  Tagalog (1)  All languages (12)
3.5, would Probably have loved this when I was younger unfortunately I have read quite a bit since then and could see where the story was going

Also I think the story couldn't decide if it wanted to be a comedy or serious and because of this a few characters seem to change their personality and then revert back again ( )
  Eclipse777 | Jun 2, 2018 |
Oddly priced with kindle edition $$$ more than print version; downloaded sample to check it out
  Spurts | Oct 29, 2015 |
At first this seemed like a humorous take on the most cliché of Fantasy tropes. I liked it a lot. A Prince is sent off to slay a dragon, mostly in hopes that he will get killed and remove himself from the line of Royal succession. He rides a sarcastic and cowardly unicorn, and faces danger with wit and practicality.

Within a few chapters, the humor has become more sparse. The fighting is increasingly detailed and more gory. Things get serious. The story never stops flirting with stereotypes, though, which leaves it a bit odd. Uneven. The long section of Medieval court politicking is the slowest and least enjoyable part of the story.

The last third of the book is nearly unrelentingly serious. There are intense examinations of bitterness, betrayal, a sour unrequited love, and a few flavors of disappointment. At times there are deep ideas, but ultimately the climax of the story plays out in the most shallow and predictable way it possibly could. There's a twist which was telegraphed halfway through, and the payoff at the end just isn't very satisfying. ( )
  wishanem | Jan 27, 2015 |
I had never heard of this series until I had stumbled across it on Goodreads. It has been fairly amusing adventure that I enjoyed thoroughly. I thought that the princess was hysterical, and her plight was very complex. I most certainly wasn't expecting a dragon in the mix of things. The princes and king are a riot, though I doesn't seem a very traditional outlook on court intrigue.
The demon prince, who is the enemy, doesn't seem to be the worst big baddie; but I think he will play a much bigger part in future books in the series. If you've been searching for just an adventure then look no further. This was a good one. Cheers and Happy Reading! ( )
  wickedshizuku | May 12, 2014 |
cheesy (sometimes groan-worthy) humor, characters go off on very long expository statements, I might only love this because it was terrific when I was young ( )
  EhEh | Apr 3, 2013 |

Simon R. Greenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Call, GregCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother and my father who were always there when I needed them.
In those days, there were heroes and villains, and darkness walked the earth. There were dragons to be slain, captured princesses to be saved, and mighty deeds to be accomplished by knights in shining armor. Many tales are told of that time, tales of steadfast bravery and derring-do. . . This isn’t one of them.

As the second son in a backwater fantasy kingdom, Prince Rupert is sort of...underfoot. So the best thing the king can think to do is send him of with his trusty but foul-mouthed unicorn steed on a quest to make himself useful.

Rupert promptly goes and finds his princess-kidnapping dragon, only to discover that the princess is scarier than the dragon is, and that there's something a whole lot darker going on in the Forest Kingdom than royal abductions: things like the end of the world. Before they know it, Rupert and his people are embroiled in a war for their lives against the forces of the ancient dark. If the Forest Kingdom doesn't find a way to put it back down before the Blue Moon rises full, there'll be no room for humans in the world that is to come...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451450957, Mass Market Paperback)

In this sweeping fantasy saga-a prequel to the sensational Hawk & Fisher series-a young prince wages a war against a demonic force of darkness spreading across the country....

Praise for the fantasies of Simon R. Green...

"Delightful."-New York Daily News

"Mr. Green turns fantasy... delightfully topsy-turvy. A bevy of fascinating characters...fantasy adventure readers will savor and enjoy for a long time to come."-Rave Reviews

"Intrigue and magic...interesting and well-conceived."-Science Fiction Chronicle

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:37 -0400)

In a prequel to the Hawk & Fisher series, young Prince Rupert wages war on a demonic force spreading the evil of Darkwood across the land, with the help of some most unlikely allies, including a fiery dragon companion.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,632,201 books! | Top bar: Always visible