Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood by…

Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood

by Rebecca Wells

Series: The Ya-Ya Sisterhood (2)

The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd (SimoneA)
    SimoneA: Both well written books about the strength of women and forgiveness.
    The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls (VictoriaPL)
    Sweetie by Kathryn Magendie (PaperbackPirate)
    Daisy Fay and the Miracle Man by Fannie Flagg (Fliss88)
    Fliss88: Similar honest style of writing, about another family in southern America.

English (105)  Spanish (1)  All languages (106)
Even if you've seen the movie - I still recommend reading the story! It's a sonnet to true friends, and family (especially mother-daughter dynamics), the scars of abusive relationships, and how these all intertwined can shape and change everyone involved. It's also funny! :)

Siddalee delves into her mothers past, curious about the Ya-Ya Sisters and their secrets. She finds out so much about her mother, and in addition, about herself. Her mother just might grow up a little along the way as well.

I love the Ya-Ya stories and I re-read them often, hoping Rebecca Wells might just write another!
  Bookapotamus | Jun 27, 2018 |
Siddalee Walker spoke imprudently during an interview and now her mother, Vivi, has cut her off. Sidda and Vivi's relationship has always been complicated, but now that Sidda is getting ready to direct a play based on female friendships, she would love her mother's advice and pleads with her to forgive, but Vivi stands firm. She does however send her a scrapbook she's kept of her lifelong friendship with a group of women who call themselves the Ya-Yas. I love the Ya-Yas. ( )
  bekkil1977 | Feb 9, 2018 |
This book tells the stories of several generations of women through a variety of avenues - old letters, first-person perspective narratives, third-person-perspective flashbacks, stories about one character told by others. Sidda Walker insults her mother, Vivi, through an article in the New York Times, and commences a mid-life crisis, postponing her marriage until she can "figure out how to love." Through researching her mother (which is, in turn, research for her next directing project), she walks through traumatizing things that happened in her childhood, and the reader learns about similarly traumatizing things that happens in Vivi's. Each story in and of itself is captivating, and they way the author ties them all together is effective and interesting. Some sex, some violence, and some profanity. I would recommend this book to upper high school students. ( )
  J9Plourde | Jun 13, 2017 |
Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood; by Rebecca Wells. A book I stumbled on while reading another book (which I might post about some other time) and decided to take a gamble with. Some might feel it's kinda chick-lit, kinda coming-of-age (though the lead protagonist is really already pushing forty)—in short, the work itself may not appeal to everyone, but I feel that its lessons do. Recommended especially if you're feeling like you're in a bit of an existential crisis, or having issues with familial relationships. Definitely written for a more female-to-female audience, but if one can look past that, guys could still learn a thing or two.
There are numerous excerpts from the book that I love (and am saving); but I can't quote them all, so here's just one: “Do you think any of us know how to love?! Do you think anybody would ever do anything if they waited until they knew how to love?! Do you think that babies would ever get made or meals cooked or crops planed or books written or what God-damn-have-you? Do you think people would even get out of bed in the morning if they waited until they knew how to love?" #DivineSecretsOfTheYaYaSisterhood #RebeccaWells #BookReview #AFYReviews #Fiction #Contemporary #American ( )
  l_affinity | Apr 18, 2017 |
I read it for book club. I like reading and this book was not bad. I'm just not into the viewpoint of small town south in the good old days. ( )
  CarolJMO | Dec 12, 2016 |

Wells, Rebeccaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Biała, AldonaTł.secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Perria, LidiaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Szűr-Szabó, KatalinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
We are not born all at once, but by bits. The body first, and the spirit later...Our mothers are racked with the pains of our physical birth; we ourselves suffer the longer pains of our spiritual growth.
--Mary Antin

Forgiveness is the name of love practiced among people who love poorly. The hard truth is that all of us love poorly. We need to forgive and be forgiven every day, every hour--unceasingly. That is the great work of love among the fellowship of the weak that is the human family.
--Henri Nouwen

Penetrating so many secrets, we cease to believe in the unknowable. But there it sits, nevertheless, calmly licking its chops.
--H. L. Mencken
This book is dedicated to
TOM SCHWORER, my husband, helpmate, and best friend
MARY HELEN CLARKE, midwife of this book and steadfast buddy
JONATHAN DOLGER, my agent, who keeps the faith.
And to the Ya-Ya Sisterhood, in all its incarnations.
Sidda is a girl again in the hot heart of Louisiana, the bayou world of Catholic saints and voodoo queens.
Piney pitch is the secret to starting a fire. Unless you have kerosene, of course.
I believe that God doesn’t give you more than one little piece of the story at once. You know, the story of your life. Otherwise your heart would crack wider than you could handle. He only cracks it enough so you can still walk, like someone wearing a cast. But you’ve still got a crack running up your side, big enough for a sapling to grow out of. Only no one sees it. Nobody sees it. Everybody thinks you’re one whole piece, and so they treat you maybe not so gentle as they would if they could see that crack.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 006075995X, Paperback)

Wells is a Louisiana-born Seattle actress and playwright; her loopy saga of a 40-year-old player in Seattle's hot theater scene who must come to terms with her mama's past in steamy Thornton City, Louisiana, reads like a lengthy episode of Designing Women written under the influence of mint juleps and Faulkner's Absalom, Absalom!. The Ya-Yas are the wild circle of girls who swirl around the narrator Siddalee's mama, Vivi, whose vivid voice is "part Scarlett, part Katharine Hepburn, part Tallulah." The Ya-Yas broke the no-booze rule at the cotillion, skinny-dipped their way to jail in the town water tower, disrupted the Shirley Temple look-alike contest, and bonded for life because, as one says, "It's so much fun being a bad girl!"

Siddalee must repair her busted relationship with Vivi by reading a half-century's worth of letters and clippings contained in the Ya-Ya Sisterhood's packet of "Divine Secrets." It's a contrived premise, but the secrets are really fun to learn.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:26 -0400)

SiddaLee has escaped her Louisiana hometown to become a theatrical director, but as she gathers mementos from the Ya-Ya Sisterhood to assist in writing a play about women's friendships, she yearns to revisit her childhood.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,558,278 books! | Top bar: Always visible