Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood

by Rebecca Wells

Series: The Ya-Ya Sisterhood (2)

The antics of a group of women in a small town where they were expected to raise babies, not Cain. The story is recounted by a mother to a daughter, the daughter thinking she is so much better because she got out of that town and is now a theater producer. The moral: mothers too were once rebels.
    The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd (SimoneA)
    SimoneA: Both well written books about the strength of women and forgiveness.
    The Glass Castle: A Memoir by Jeannette Walls (VictoriaPL)
    Sweetie by Kathryn Magendie (PaperbackPirate)
    Daisy Fay and the Miracle Man by Fannie Flagg (Fliss88)
    Fliss88: Similar honest style of writing, about another family in southern America.

English (106)  Spanish (1)  All languages (107)
It was a bit difficult to get into for some reason, but once I did I found it to be engrossing (like an accident you can't help gawking at).
I kept trying to figure out what the hype was all about with this book. And I admit, I felt like it was overrated.
Ultimately, it was forgettable and not a book I would read again or ever recommend. ( )
  Chrissylou62 | Aug 1, 2020 |
For once I preferred the movie. ( )
  KathyC200 | Mar 22, 2020 |
I feel like this is the type of book every woman should read. It doesn't gloss over the realities of female life, and everything feels very real, including the larger-than-life women it features. It's a wonderful story of the relationship between mothers and daughters, and how our history affects not only us, but the future generations to come. ( )
  ainjel | Jun 20, 2019 |
Even if you've seen the movie - I still recommend reading the story! It's a sonnet to true friends, and family (especially mother-daughter dynamics), the scars of abusive relationships, and how these all intertwined can shape and change everyone involved. It's also funny! :)

Siddalee delves into her mothers past, curious about the Ya-Ya Sisters and their secrets. She finds out so much about her mother, and in addition, about herself. Her mother just might grow up a little along the way as well.

I love the Ya-Ya stories and I re-read them often, hoping Rebecca Wells might just write another!
  Bookapotamus | Jun 27, 2018 |
Siddalee Walker spoke imprudently during an interview and now her mother, Vivi, has cut her off. Sidda and Vivi's relationship has always been complicated, but now that Sidda is getting ready to direct a play based on female friendships, she would love her mother's advice and pleads with her to forgive, but Vivi stands firm. She does however send her a scrapbook she's kept of her lifelong friendship with a group of women who call themselves the Ya-Yas. I love the Ya-Yas. ( )
  bekkil1977 | Feb 9, 2018 |

Wells, Rebeccaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Biała, AldonaTł.secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Perria, LidiaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Szűr-Szabó, KatalinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
We are not born all at once, but by bits. The body first, and the spirit later...Our mothers are racked with the pains of our physical birth; we ourselves suffer the longer pains of our spiritual growth.
--Mary Antin

Forgiveness is the name of love practiced among people who love poorly. The hard truth is that all of us love poorly. We need to forgive and be forgiven every day, every hour--unceasingly. That is the great work of love among the fellowship of the weak that is the human family.
--Henri Nouwen

Penetrating so many secrets, we cease to believe in the unknowable. But there it sits, nevertheless, calmly licking its chops.
--H. L. Mencken
This book is dedicated to
TOM SCHWORER, my husband, helpmate, and best friend
MARY HELEN CLARKE, midwife of this book and steadfast buddy
JONATHAN DOLGER, my agent, who keeps the faith.
And to the Ya-Ya Sisterhood, in all its incarnations.
Sidda is a girl again in the hot heart of Louisiana, the bayou world of Catholic saints and voodoo queens.
Piney pitch is the secret to starting a fire. Unless you have kerosene, of course.
I believe that God doesn’t give you more than one little piece of the story at once. You know, the story of your life. Otherwise your heart would crack wider than you could handle. He only cracks it enough so you can still walk, like someone wearing a cast. But you’ve still got a crack running up your side, big enough for a sapling to grow out of. Only no one sees it. Nobody sees it. Everybody thinks you’re one whole piece, and so they treat you maybe not so gentle as they would if they could see that crack.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,650,618 books! | Top bar: Always visible