Children of the Storm by Elizabeth Peters

Children of the Storm

by Elizabeth Peters

Recently added byprivate library, angeljacoby, rairose, Draigsffau, egyptophile, rlsalvati, pausanias

English (20)  French (1)  All languages (21)
This is late in the Amelia Peabody series, so the cast of characters has grown quite large and perhaps hard to navigate for those who haven't read other books. For my part, I enjoyed revisiting these charming and eccentric characters.

(I listened on cassette.)
  Connie-D | Jan 17, 2016 |
Children Of The Storm (Amelia Peabody #15), by Elizabeth Peters
★★★★ and a ♥ for the series as a whole

Synopsis: At last the Great War is over. Amelia, her distinguished Egyptologist husband Emerson and their extended family are preparing for another season of excavation in Egypt. To everyone's great joy their son Ramses and his wife Nefret have become parents. Amelia, enjoying her role of fond (yet firm) grandmother, hopes that for once, this will be a quiet year with Ramses no longer undertaking perilous missions for British intelligence and no old enemies on their trail.
Amelia is sadly mistaken. Past dangers cast shadows across the seemingly peaceful present, and a new adversary - unlike any Amelia has ever encountered - will chart a course that puts her beloved family directly in the path of destruction.
In A Sentence: Yet another decent novel from one of my favorite series, but I’m looking forward to the end.
My Thoughts: I confess that while I really love this series, I’ve reached the point where I’m getting tired of the books. The last 3 or 4 novels are really not Elizabeth Peter’s best works. The story, while a little different from the first few, is a bit more tedious than the previous ones. Either it’s because I’ve been reading the stories back-to-back, or it’s because the book isn’t as amazing as her earlier works.
Don’t get me wrong, I did enjoy this book. Like all the other stories, this mystery had elements of excitement, humor, and intrigue. There is a bit of a plot twist that I hadn’t anticipated when I first read this novel several years ago, and the action is fairly fast-paced, but after having read over a dozen books before this one, all with the action, humor, and mystery, I’m exhausted and I’m ready to move on. But I’m determined to finish the series, and there are only 3 books left, one of which I haven’t read yet. So moving on and moving forward! On to the next Amelia Peabody adventure!
  Spirolim | Jan 13, 2016 |
This is first Amelia Peabody set after World War I; her family has now been enlarged by twins born to Ramsses and Nefret, and the whole family is returning to Egypt for excavation without, presumably, the wartime intrigues. But of course danger does ensue. Incidentally, though the title is presumably explained by the epigraph from an ancient Egyptian text, I cannot help suspecting that Peters, as a professed admirer of H. Rider Haggard, was influenced by his novel Child of Storm,, one of his Zulu series. ( )
  antiquary | Sep 14, 2015 |
Return once again with New York Times bestselling Grand Master Elizabeth Peters to a remarkable land of mystery, where murderous intrigues swirl in the Egyptian desert wind . . . The Great War has ended and archaeologist Amelia Peabody welcomes the advent of a season of joy that marks a time of new beginnings, with delightful additions to the Emerson family.

But evil still casts a shadow over this violence-scarred land. The theft

...

With members of her circle plagued by mysterious "accidents," Amelia must connect these threads into a recognizable pattern. Will her investigation set her on a collision course with an adversary more fiendish than any she has ever before encountered? Elizabeth Peters was born in Illinois and earned her Ph.D. in Egyptology from the University of Chicago's famed Oriental Institute. ( )
  Tutter | Feb 28, 2015 |

But evil still casts a shadow over this violence-scarred land. The theft

...

Tutter | Feb 28, 2015 |

Elizabeth Petersprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rosenblat, BarbaraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The day of the children of the storm.

Very dangerous, Do not go on the water this day.

- Excerpt from an ancient Egyptian horoscope
To Joan Hess

Pax Ovinica
The encrimsoned sun sank slowly toward the crest of the Theban mountains.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061032484, Mass Market Paperback)

A Great War has ended, but evil still casts a long shadow over a violence-scarred land. One woman -- an adventurer and archaeologist with a brilliant mind -- must now confront a dreadful adversary more fiendish and formidable than any she has ever encountered. But by doing so, she may be feeding the flames of a devastating firestorm that threatens the fragile lives of the tender and innocent.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:34 -0400)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,417,371 books! | Top bar: Always visible