Children of the Storm by Elizabeth Peters

Children of the Storm

by Elizabeth Peters

English (15)  French (1)  All languages (16)
I read the first Amelia Peabody novel a long time ago. I do not normally read romances, they irritate me. But stroppy 'old' Miss Peabody rescuing Evelyn and then clashing with such obvious deliberate fun with Emerson made for hilarious reading. And Elizabeth Peters was in no danger of getting her historical details or Egyptology wrong. I hate authors who can’t do their research, or only do superficial research.

Over the years novels have followed as the Emerson clan produced children who grew up and now it is the fifteenth novel, 'Children of the Storm', WWI is over, everyone hopes for peace, Amelia has grandchildren to guard and the archaeology continues. The plot this time I felt a little melodramatic but still the characters are good fun, and the events exciting - I am afraid I laughed when the boat sank! - and Amelia brings it all together and gets her precious family and friends home in nearly one piece.

A cheerful, cheering read and definitely one for the Miss Peabody fans. Just the sort of novel to curl up with for a cosy night in. I would suggest that anyone who really wants to get the most out of the novels start with the first because it gives you clear insight in to Amelia Peabody and that is where you will either love her or she will drive you nuts. Diving into the later novels without understanding Amelia means you may well be annoyed by her bossy and managing ways and miss out on all the fun when she needles Emerson and he needles her. ( )
  p.d.r.lindsay | Jul 19, 2014 |
My blog post about this book is at this link. ( )
  SuziQoregon | Jan 27, 2014 |
I'm getting quite a kick out of these latest books in the series. Sethos is a wonderful addition to the family cast as well as little children (who all sound alike but who nevertheless add a bit of humor to storyline). One thing I enjoy about Ms. Peters' books is that she freely mingles caricature with real life touches - the fear that Nefret has for her family if she were to die brings the story closer to the reader. I'll be sad to reach the end of the Emerson family adventures... ( )
  tjsjohanna | Jan 13, 2014 |
By book 15 you either love this family and their adventures or not. I obviously do. I love Barbara Rosenblatt's narration and was glad to find the unabridged version at the library since audible only had an abridged version. ( )
  CCleveland | Nov 27, 2013 |
Good but a bit tedious ( )
  aumbre | Sep 13, 2013 |

Elizabeth Petersprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rosenblat, BarbaraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The day of the children of the storm.

Very dangerous, Do not go on the water this day.

- Excerpt from an ancient Egyptian horoscope
To Joan Hess

Pax Ovinica
The encrimsoned sun sank slowly toward the crest of the Theban mountains.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061032484, Mass Market Paperback)

A Great War has ended, but evil still casts a long shadow over a violence-scarred land. One woman -- an adventurer and archaeologist with a brilliant mind -- must now confront a dreadful adversary more fiendish and formidable than any she has ever encountered. But by doing so, she may be feeding the flames of a devastating firestorm that threatens the fragile lives of the tender and innocent.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:39 -0400)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,287,531 books! | Top bar: Always visible