The Little Red Hen by Carol Ottolenghi

The Little Red Hen

by Carol Ottolenghi

English (7)  Spanish (1)  All (8)
I have always loved this story. I love that Hen ask everyone for help and no one will help her. Then in the end they all think that she is going to let them partake of her yummy treat and she refuses to let them because they would not help her.
  BeckyPugh | Jul 18, 2014 |
The Little Red Hen goes through the story asking her "friends" to help her with different tasks. They refuse every time, until the end when it is a question of enjoying the fruits of her labor. At that point though she won't share with them since they wouldn't work for it. I understand the moral of the story but don't like the way that it is written. It's not my favorite book on the reward of hard work vs the consequence of laziness. ( )
  kryoung1 | Jan 28, 2014 |
This is a book about a little hen that wants to make some bread. She wants her friends to help her make some bread. She asks her friends to help her, but they all say no. Since none of her friends helped her make the bread that little red hen did all by herself. All her friends then offered to help her eat the bread after she finished making it alone.

Reaction- I really liked the book and I think it will teach kids that it is good to help other people when they ask for it. It will teach them that if they do not help someone they might not get to enjoy the project after. I really think it is a good book, and I would definitely use it in my classroom

Extension- I would have the kids do a project where they needed help and have them work together to show them that working together is good team work. Another extension is I could go around the class and ask the students what they have done for each other today and if they have helped any of their classmates out.
  Erinhardy3 | Oct 1, 2012 |
This book is about a hen who wanted to grow wheat so she could make bread. The Little Red Hen went and ask the farm animals who wanted to help her plant the wheat everyone she asked gave her a no. After the wheat was ready she went again and ask for help to make the wheat into flour everyone still said no. With every step it took to make the bread she would ask for help and always was told no. She made the bread and then the animals wanted to help her eat the bread but her answer was no because no one wanted to help with the labor of planting and making the bread.

Personal Reaction
I have always like the story it promote teamwork but not sharing. A good book for older children to discuss the importance of sharing.

Extension Ideas
1. Talk about animals on a farm.
2. Discuss what it feels like not have someone share with you.
3. Make bread and talk about how teamwork helps.
  margo05 | Sep 14, 2012 |
None of the animals want to help the hen grow or harvest the wheat, but they are all eager to eat the bread she makes. Will the hen share the fruits of her labor?
  clwalker | Jun 24, 2012 |

Between the pages of the Brighter Child(R) Keepsake Stories books are the classic tales of magic, imagination, and inspiration that will delight children again and again. From the hard-working Red Hen to the foolish Gingerbread Man, these stories will capture children's interest and spark their imagination page after page, inspiring a lifelong love of literature and reading. Each book includes 32 pages of fresh, captivating illustrations, and measures 8" x 8". --In this beloved tale, the Little Red Hen makes delicious bread that her lazy friends can't resist. Children will eagerly continue reading to see what she will do when everyone wants a taste! --This title, retold in English and Spanish, is an excellent skill-builder for reading and foreign language comprehension.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:05 -0400)

A retelling of the familiar fairy tale in which the Little Red Hen, unable to get her friends to help her with her bread-making project, refuses to share the fruits of her labor.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,364,037 books! | Top bar: Always visible