April Morning by Howard Fast

April Morning

by Howard Fast

Although it was a bit of a slow start, there were times I was engrossed by the book, other times it moved slowly, but in the end the author brought a very harsh and raw look at the war and how it affected those who fought in it.

The writing style and narrative were very well done, although there were times throughout the book I did find it moved slowly, which influenced how the plot was carried forward. There were a few spots throughout the book, where the plot didn't seem to move along enough, and others where it progressed just fine. I think the author did capture the time period wonderfully, he showed the reader the life during the brink of the Revolutionary War, the before and the start of it. It was an interesting contrast to see how the characters opinions and mindset changed during the short time of the story, from the pre-war life to the after. For such a short book, there was a significant amount of character development there, which I appreciated. I don't think I ever warmed up to the characters, but they were well written.

The battle scenes were powerful at times, in fact the whole outlook on the war was incredibly well done, and it was exactly the type of book I was looking for about the Revolutionary War. It showed the war and the battles for what they were, horrific. But it also showed the struggles for what the characters thought was right. I was very pleased with the book in the end, and overall it was an enjoyable read.

Also found on my book review blog Jules' Book Reviews - April Morning ( )
  bookwormjules | Jul 27, 2013 |
This story begins with a resentful young teen who has issues with his stern and strict father. I almost quit reading it because of the tone. That would have been a huge mistake. As the story went on, it covers the space of one day in history, it quickly became a wonderful story of the journey from boyhood to manhood. Since it takes place at the battles of Lexington and Concord, there is much reflecting on the reasons those men took up arms against the British and what that would mean for them. Interesting that the author does not allow one mentality to rule the day and the reasons, but touches on many individuals and why they are compelled to the battle and why they must continue it. All through the eyes of this young man whose vision slowly turns from within to the world and the people around him. It is a well told story. ( )
  MrsLee | Apr 20, 2013 |
RGG: Told by a fifteen-year-old Colonial boy, the story of April 19th, 1775. Dry. Often taught as part of classroom curriculums.
  rgruberexcel | Sep 3, 2012 |
Batlle of Lexington/Concord as seen through the eyes of a fifteen year old, Not bad ( )
  brone | May 13, 2012 |
Somehow we never read this in high school, so I was interested in the Netgalley offering for the new Open Road digital edition. It seems to be a nice edition, apart from a few odd typos ('"We'd never sleep a peaceful night again – not ever again, no V"'); the cover art is stark and attractive.

April Morning is the story of about thirty-six hours in the life of fifteen-year-old Adam Cooper, a farm boy in Massachusetts living a placid life with his domineering father, Moses, and his sweet mother, sharp grandmother, and typical-pain little brother. (His grandmother was terrific.) What is not really obvious from the text until a little ways in is that this isn't just 18th century Massachusetts – it is Lexington, as in Lexington and Concord, and the April morning is April 18-19, 1776.

By the end of the brief novel Adam's entire life has changed, and his future as well. It's easy to slip into the old habit of thinking about the men who fought the Revolution as … only that, the plucky militia, confounding the Redcoats with guerilla tactics. It's easy to forget about the fact that the war came on them with a force and suddenness they did not expect. Many knew it might come; the leadership in particular was a well-informed group. They didn't know how and exactly when. They didn't expect to see friends and neighbors and family cut down, or to see the entire course of their lives redirected. Or terminated. The tidy, uncomplicated path Adam has always seen for his life – probably marry within the village, perhaps to Ruth, eventually inherit the farm, care for his grandmother and parents until they die, raise a family of his own, take up a position on the Committee in his father's wake – is obliterated. By the end of the brief time covered by the book, it is all still possible – but not nearly as obvious, as safe and sure, as it has been all his life. His life, his future – the world has changed.

By the end of the story I was rather fond of Adam, who is engaging despite his teenaged-boy-ness. I've come across surprisingly little fiction centered on the Revolution (there's my beloved Sherwood Ring, and I need to read Johnny Tremaine again one day), and I'm glad of a story that illuminates a corner of a period of history I know less about than I'd like to. I had, for example, no idea that that was how the whole thing started. This account certainly differs from the general impression of the Minutemen, every one loaded for bear (literally) and more than willing to defend their homes with no discussion. The Committee was so very much a committee, a panel of men of all opinions who spoke much and accomplished, apparently, little; this is not the popular image of the clear-minded forefather…

The brutality of the battle – battles – was startling, as was the frankness about the various reactions. There are no real heroes here, not as the history books would like us to see them; in fact, Adam notes himself that some of the greatest heroism shown that morning was by the British soldiers who walked into Colonial gunfire – and kept walking.

My eyebrows went up at the casual discussion of investment into slave ships, often profitable enough to be worth bucking public opinion despite an obscene percentage of ships – or was it just cargo? - lost. It's another thing I've never thought much about, the 18th century attitude toward slavery.

I was also surprised by the opinions expressed of Sam Adams and John Hancock?. Here are these (to overuse the word) heroes of the Revolution, and the denizens of Lexington are not happy about a visit from these worthies. I knew shamefully little about Sam Adams, who, it appears, was seen as an atheist (Wikipedia lists him as Congregational) and a radical (true enough). They seem to both be considered stormcrows.

"They were here tonight."
"Who?"
"Sam Adams and John Hancock."
"Oh, no," Father said. "Now what in heaven's name were they doing here?"

I like this sort of detail – I love to see a little deeper or from a slightly different angle than usual.

The book is from Adam's first-person point of view, and the language is colloquial without, happily, being unreadably young or "farm-boy" – the local color is not blinding. For a short work, there is a lot of strong characterization here – I finished it feeling I knew several of the characters quite well, and had known them a long time, something far too many much longer books fail to achieve. The quote I added above about Adams and Hancock is a good example of the skill with which this was managed: succinct and expressive without needing the narrator stepping in to fill in the blanks. It grew on me, and continued the effect after I finished it. I've found that I knock off a star from some books in the course of working up a review. Here, if anything, I might add one. ( )
1 vote Stewartry | Mar 12, 2012 |
Since in one way or another a part of each of you is in this book, it is properly yours. Thereby, for Rachel, Jonathan, Barry, Judy, Norman, Jennifer, Melissa, and Timothy.
When I turned back to the house, my father called after me and asked me did I figure that I was finished.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553273221, Mass Market Paperback)

When you read this novel about April 19, 1775, you will see the British redcoats marching in a solid column through your town. Your hands will be sweating and you will shake a little as you grip your musket because never have you shot with the aim of killing a man. But you will shoot, and shoot again and again while your shoulder aches from your musket's kick and the tight, disciplined red column bleeds and wavers and breaks and you begin to shout at the top of your lungs because you are there, at the birth of freedom—you're a veteran of the Battle of Lexington, and you've helped whip the King's best soldiers...

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:46:44 -0400)

A short novel about the first days of the American Revolution as experienced by a 15-year-old boy. Adam Cooper has a little brother who annoys him and a father who fails to appreciate him. Adam dares to sign the muster roll of the Lexington militia. When you read this novel about April 19, 1775, you will see the British redcoats marching in a solid column through your town. Your hands will be sweating and you will shake a little as you grip your musket because never have you shot with the aim of killing a man. But you will shoot, and shoot again and again while your shoulder aches from your musket's kick and the tight, disciplined red column bleeds and wavers and breaks and you begin to shout at the top of your lungs because you are there, at the birth of freedom -- you're a veteran of the Battle of Lexington, and you've helped whip the King's best soldiers.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,655,376 books! | Top bar: Always visible