Five Hundred Years After (Phoenix Guards) by…

Five Hundred Years After (Phoenix Guards) (original 1994; edition 1995)

by Steven Brust

1,119810,813 (3.98)29
Member:selfnoise
Title:Five Hundred Years After (Phoenix Guards)
Authors:Steven Brust
Info:Tor Fantasy (1995), Reprint, Paperback
Rating:***1/2
Tags:fantasy, Dragaera

Five Hundred Years After (Phoenix Guards) by Steven Brust (1994)

Lots of fun. My favorite bit is the etymology of the name of the town of Bengloarafurd. I thought Brust did a really great job, especially since we already know how the story has to end from having read the Vlad Taltos novels - and that didn't make the ending any less climactic. ( )
  woakden | Sep 11, 2009 |
Another visit to the heroes of The Phoenix Guards. Once again, Musketeers style, they are called on to save the Empire. Sort of, maybe, or is it just their kids they are saving? Good stuff, as usual, though it does get a little wordy at times. ( )
  Karlstar | Sep 6, 2009 |
I Don't Get It...: How can Brust write not one, but two books in the wordy, flowery Dumas-style that I (truthfully) despise, yet somehow get me to love both of them?

This book is not as wordy as The Phoenix Guards, but it has its moments. The action can be slow in the beginning and middle, but the end makes up for it.
  iayork | Aug 9, 2009 |
(Alistair) Well, you saw the review I posted for The Phoenix Guards, right?

I repeat and amplify my comments about the sheer gorgeousness of the language use. And of the narrator's foibles.

When coupled with the characters we came to know and love in the prior work, and a plot delving into the chain of events leading up to Adron's Disaster - not a spoiler, since you would learn that from the blurb even if you didn't know the setting at all - one of the more, or perhaps I should say particularly, interesting parts of Dragaeran history, it makes for an excellent book indeed.

Highly recommended.

(Still haven't got around to The Three Musketeers, though.)

( http://weblog.siliconcerebrate.com/cerebrate/2009/01/five_hundred_years_after_st... ) ( )
1 vote libraryofus | Jan 6, 2009 |
See The Phoenix Guards. ( )
  TadAD | Jun 20, 2008 |

Steven Brustprimary authorall editionscalculated
Haskell, Fred A. LevyAuthor photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rakeland,SamCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Russo, CarolCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For The Fabulous Lorraine
Upon the first day of autumn, that is, the ninth day of the month of the Vallista in the five hundred and thirty-second year of the reign of His Imperial Majesty, Tortaalik I, of the House of the Phoenix, a messenger arrived at the Imperial Wing of the Palace and begged an audience with the Emperor.

DANGEROUS APPEARANCES

"There is no doubt" said Aliera, as if in answer to a question, "that there was a spell laid upon this fellow before his death: the traces of it remain. I suspect what it was, yet I cannot - "
     "Lady Aliera," said Khaavren, "if you would be good enough to tell me what you are doing here. well, I should be entirely in your debt."
    "Why, I am investigating this body, in order to learn how he came to die."
     "Or," said Sethra, "perhaps to remove all traces of the spell, so that nothing can be learned."
     Aliera looked at Sethra for a long moment before saying, "I don't know you, Madame."
     The Enchantress bowed. " I am called Sethra Lavode."
     Aliera bowed in her turn. "Very well, Sethra Lavode. I am called Alieria e'Kieron."
     Sethra bowed once more, and if she was surprised that Aliera displayed no reaction upon learning her identity, she gave no sign of it.
    "Now," said Aliera, "that introductions are made, there remains the matter of your last remark, which sounded to my ears very like an accusation . I must, therefore, beg you to make it either more explicit, so that I may respond appropriately, or to recast it in such a way that no response is called for."
     "Perhaps you are unaware," said Khaavren, "That to find you down here, engaged in I know not what activities with respect to the bodies, puts appearances against you."
     "Appearances, My Lord?" said Aliera, in a tone of voice, and with a simultaneous look, expressing the greatest disdain. "I have often heard that phrase, Appearances are against you, uttered by those who wish to conceal an accusation. Who are thee people who believe appearances, My Lord? Would you care to name them?"
    "I am one," said Sethra, putting her hand on the dagger at her side.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0812515226, Mass Market Paperback)

In which our Heroes--Khaavren, Pel, Aerich and Tazendra--are reunited again a mere five centuries later...just in time for an uprising that threatens to destroy the Imperial Orb itself!

This is the story of the conspiracy against the Empire that begins in the mean streets of Underside and flourishes in the courtly politics of the Palace where Khaavren has loyally served in the Guards this past half-millennium.

It is the tale of the Dragonlord Adron's overweening schemes, of his brilliant daughter Aliers, and the eldritch Sethra Lavode.

And it is the tale of four boon companions, of love, and of revenge...a tale from the history of Dragaera, of the events that changed the world!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:31 -0400)

The story takes place 500 years after the events portrayed in the author's previous novel, The Phoenix Guard. Four Empire loyalists, Khaavren, Perl, Aerich and Tazendra, battle a plot to destroy the Orb of the Empire and overthrow the Emperor.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,801,917 books! | Top bar: Always visible