Fruits Basket, Vol. 3 by Natsuki Takaya

Fruits Basket, Vol. 3 (1999)

by Natsuki Takaya

Recently added byLeahelia, senbei, Zaffiro, SixSeasons, Musefall, yosu, Ducky_Dame, private library, Laella, kleinepfoten

Manga number 3, and the story is only getting better and better! It's impossible not to love the characters, and this makes for a really enjoyable piece of light reading. There's not much character development in this one, but the introduction of Momiji and Hatsuharu makes for a good bit of comedy, and I thoroughly enjoyed reading this one. Bring on number 4! ( )
  kezumi | Jun 4, 2010 |
I totally love this series it is the coolest ( )
  StrawberryPeep3737 | May 1, 2010 |
The third installment of Sensei Takaya’s delightful manga series that gives the reader a window into the life of the cursed Sohma family and how Tohru Honda, a sweet and naive young orphan they’ve taken in and with whom they’ve shared their secret that some in their family are possessed by the vengeful animal spirits of the Chinese zodiac, features the rebellious cat-posessed Kyo Sohma on the cover. Kyo is probably one of my favorite characters, he is certainly one of the funniest, and this book introduces another of my favorites: Hatsuharu, the bull.

The book begins with a school race, which the highly-competitive Kyo sees as an opportunity to beat his ultimate rival and cousin, Yuki Sohma, the rat. The pictures had Maggie and I laughing out loud in public places, trying to keep ourselves under control but often not able, class=”hiddenSpellError” pre=”">Kyo with his cat ears, fangs, eyes and tail with electric energy swirling around him as he focuses on thoroughly trouncing “That damn rat Yuki” in the race was hilarious. It’s during the race that Haru shows up and challenges Kyo to a fight, during which Black Haru comes out and makes sexual innuendos about what he’s going to do with Tohru.

Valentine’s Day happens in this book, as well, which brings Kagura back… much to Kyo’s displeasure. Hatori, the Sohma family doctor, is introduced and Momiji makes another appearance and invites Tohru, Yuki and Kyo to the Sohma family spa for White Day. Momiji, the rabbit, is another one of those funny, slightly naughty, characters who likes to look pretty. The trouble is, though, the dress-wearing, fingernail-polished, blonde is a BOY. Also, the interactions between Kyo and Momiji is reminiscent of the baby brother tag-a-long and annoyed older brother. Kyo often noogies, pinches and restrains the over-zealous Momiji, who cries and whines loudly to any who’ll listen that he’s being abused by Kyo.

The final page of the book still makes me laugh, and I’ll often repeat it back to Mags, who will break out in groaning laughter and rolling her eyes. Shigure shows Haru the little cosplay maid outfit he’s bought for Tohru as his White Day gift saying, “I can’t wait for her to call me Master wearing this.” To which Haru replies, “Just Make sure you don’t get arrested, okay?”

Click for full review: http://thekoolaidmom.wordpress.com/2009/10/19/fruits-basket-volume-3-and-4-by-na... ( )
  thekoolaidmom | Oct 22, 2009 |
This is the cutest, fluffiest piece of cracktasticness ever. I sometimes catch myself wonder why I'm reading this, and the only answer I have is that this is the really good kind of crack.
  siriaeve | Apr 26, 2008 |
The end of the century is near! A certain prophet predicted that the world would end in the year 1999.
Information from the Japanese Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.

Tohru Honda is an orphaned teenager who comes to live with the Sohma family in exchange for housekeeping duties, but she soon comes to know the family secret.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,699,119 books! | Top bar: Always visible