All About the Bullerby Children by Astrid…

All About the Bullerby Children (1961)

by Astrid Lindgren

Series: Noisy Village (omnibus 1-3), Barnen i Bullerbyn

English (7)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  All (10)
It's still my biggest wish to move to Bullerbü!!! ( )
  borhap | Aug 27, 2013 |
"Noisy village" is set in an unspecified pre-industrialization time in Sweden's hinterland, Smaland. It's about the life of six children (three boys and three girls) around the year who live in a small hamlet consisting only of three farmsteads . We are told about their games and pranks, their quarrels and reconciliations, school, about helping their parents and just enjoying life in general.

This short paragraph can't really describe the magic of Lindgren's book. Told from the perspective of seven year old Lisa, life is exiting because of innocent pleasures like the present of a fairy tale book or excursions to a nearby lake for swimming. The world is a benevolent place, nothing menacing exists here and the adults' travails and troubles are completely absent.

Yet the book never feels simplistic to me, I rather enjoy the complete hamony of people's life with their surrounding nature. I know that I fall into the "good old times" trap here but reading about a childhood lived so intensely with and in nature shows me that we lost something in our industrialized world.

Somehow Astrid Lindgren never managed the same popularity in the Anglophone world she possesses in Scandinavia or Germany, and I think that's a great pity. Her stories about Noisy village will appeal not only to children but also to adults with a faible for a nostalgic read.

As an afterthought - I read "Noisy Village" in a German translation (Die Kinder von Bullerbü) which was really superb. I hope the English translators did an equally good job. ( )
1 vote 1502Isabella | Mar 6, 2012 |
My absolute bible it was! ( )
  foomy | Jan 28, 2010 |
Lustige Dorfgeschichten ( )
  Jansalmhofer | Jan 9, 2009 |
This is the most straight-forward of Lindgren's children's books. It pretty much just tells of the regular shenanigans kids on a farm will get up to throughout the year - no anarchists with a dad in the south seas, no dragons or evil men, no wild and dangerous forests. They children are very endearing, though, and as always, Lindgren has a beautiful way of describing the way children think. ( )
  -Eva- | Jan 27, 2008 |

Astrid Lindgrenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Barcia, MoisésTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nyman, Ingrid VangIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Omnibus containing: Alle vi børn i Bulderby, Mere om os børn i Bulderby, Vi har det dejligt i Bulderby. Original titles: Alla vi barn i Bullerbyn, Mera om oss barn i Bullerbyn and Bara roligt i Bullerbyn
Contents: The Six Bullerby Children; Cherry Time at Bullerby (originally translated as ’The Children of Noisy Village’ and ’Cherry Time at Bullerby’); Happy Days at Bullerby (originally translated as ’Happy Days at Noisy Village’ and ’Happy Days at Bullerby’)

Legacy Library: Astrid Lindgren

Astrid Lindgren has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Astrid Lindgren's legacy profile.

See Astrid Lindgren's author page.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,206,330 books! | Top bar: Always visible