Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 1 (Library…

Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 1 (Library Edition) (edition 2008)

by Hiromu Arakawa (Author)

1,200236,680 (4.13)58
Member:EDHSLC
Title:Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 1 (Library Edition)
Authors:Hiromu Arakawa (Author)
Info:VIZ Media LLC (2008), 192 pages
Collections:Graphic Text, Your library

Fullmetal Alchemist, Volume 1 by Hiromu Arakawa

This is the story of the Elric brothers who were injured when they tried to bring their mother back from the dead. The older brother Edward lost and arm and a leg which were replaced by steel prostheses. The younger brother Alphonse lost his body so his soul is traveling around in an empty suit of armor. Both are military alchemists who are in search of the Philosopher's stone. I've yet to learn what that stone can do.

In the beginning of this book, I thought the story was going to revolve around the theme of science versus religion, but it didn't turn out that way. I feel as if I have to at least read one or two more volumes to see if this story will appeal to me more. There is a lot of violence, but I want to get past that to see what the Elric brothers accomplish in the future.

Curious, but not overly enthusiastic, about seeking volume two. ( )
  SqueakyChu | May 14, 2016 |
Fullmetal Alchemist starts off pretty lighthearted and comedic, giving the reader time to familiarize themselves with the characters and the world it's set in before breaking out the serious drama. Part of what makes this series so completely marvelous and one of the best mangas ever is that vein of humor running through even the darkest parts.

Of course, comedy alone does not make a good story. The darkness too makes the tale compelling. Aspects of this story, especially one in particular which comes not too far into the story, will undoubtedly haunt me forever. Actually, this same instance continues to haunt Ed and Alphonse all the way through their lives, as well. When you read it, you'll know what I'm talking about.

Add to the above a completely amazing cast of characters. Seriously. Ed and Alphonse's love and care of one another are completely charming. Their grandmother is hilarious with her tiny little pointy bun. Winry, the stubborn female automail mechanic, will always be my favorite. Then again, I also adore Colonel Mustang with his odd combination of jadedness and hope, and Lieutenant Hawkeye, who is seriously badass but also surprisingly sweet underneath. All of the human characters are just so vibrant and human, complete with foibles and hangups. I love it.

Plus the alchemy in a freaking amazing steampunk setting! Who doesn't like steampunk? Okay, lots of people probably, but they are lame and don't count (just kidding...mostly). Honestly, though, the alchemy in here is astounding. No wonder so many people spent their lives trying to figure out its secrets. I would too if I thought I could have powers like the Alric brothers.

If you have any interest at all in manga, Fullmetal Alchemist is a good one. Although aimed at a male audience, it has universal appeal. Unlike some shounen manga, you will not have lots of baloon boobs thrust at you for fan service, likely because the series was written by a woman. This manga has one of the best stories out there and I just cannot recommend it highly enough.

Note: I have not yet watched the anime version, either one. I do know, though, that you should not just the manga off of the original anime series. After the first few episodes they seriously part ways (or so I've heard), because the anime was made before the series had been completed. A couple years before. What a bad plan. ( )
  A_Reader_of_Fictions | Apr 1, 2013 |
Picked this up on a whim, based on favorable reviews. I enjoyed it quite a bit for an action/adventure manga (a genre that's fun but not my favorite thing ever). The setting and characters are intriguing and well-conceived and the art is really exceptional.

I do frequently think while reading manga, "I bet that sentence was less awkward in Japanese," but of course panel art and speech bubbles limit translation.

I'm happy that Hiromu Arakawa's Goodreads photo is a cow illustration; I'm afraid to look her up on Wikipedia because I want to forever imagine her as a cow lady per the book! ( )
  raschneid | Mar 31, 2013 |
This is a story about Ed and Al Elrich who are alchemists. They tried to revive their dead mother through alchemy, a taboo, which cost Al his body and Ed his arm and leg. They become state alchemists to quest to restore their bodies. ( )
  cfordLIS722 | May 3, 2012 |
First in a manga series about two brothers, alchemists, whose mother dies. When they try to bring her back from the dead, one brother loses his hand and the other loses his body, his soul being stuck into a suit of armor. A journey ensues as they seek out the Philosopher's Stone and the materials necessary to bring back their bodies and their mother. ( )
  Jennanana | May 2, 2012 |
... AL! Alphonse!! Alphonse?! Damn! Damn! How could this have happened?! It..It wasn't supposed to be like this... Oh no... (Teaching that do not speak of pain have no meaning...) He's Gone...!! (...because humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return.)
"Teaching that do not speak of pain have no meaning... because humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return."
It's ironic that we scientists..who don't believe in God..are in a sense the closest things tohim.
Followers are just pawns to use for war.

As young boys, Edward & Alphonse Elric dabbled in alchemy to try to resurrect their dead mother. As a result, Ed lost one arm and one leg, while Al lost his entire body and had his spirit sealed into a suit of armor. Now, they are searching for the fabled Philosopher's Stone to restore what they've lost.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,175,291 books! | Top bar: Always visible