Beneath the Thirteen Moons by Kathryne…

Beneath the Thirteen Moons

by Kathryne Kennedy

Disclaimer: I received no compensation from the author or publisher for this honest review.

I couldn't finish this one. I first started reading this book on June 28 and got almost halfway through before calling it quits on September 18.

I tried to like this one, I really did but I just couldn't get into it. I'm not sure it isn't any one thing over another but this book just doesn't do it for me. The main characters drove me nuts and not in a good way. Mahri I found to be kinda whiny and annoying.

Don't get me wrong, I like women who are strong but when they have to spend most of the time whining over how they have to be independent, it takes away from the strength of their behavior.

The male lead wasn't much better but I tolerated his behavior a little bit better than hers since he was raised in privilege and didn't have any real life experience.

Yeah, wanted to like but just couldn't.

Would I recommend this book? Not really. ( )
  kishazworld | Sep 21, 2016 |
I like the word Kathryne Kennedy created in this book above everything else. She wrote wonderful characters and gripping plot but the love and execution she put into Sea Forest. I think the intricacies of the different caste systems and the magical way the world is brought to life is the crowning jewel of this book.

The take Ms. Kennedy weaves keeps the readers entranced. I enjoyed both Korl and Mahri's characters and I enjoyed watching them get to know each other and fall in love, despite their immense differences. I think that this fantastic romance is simple, clean, and a nice light read for anyone who wants something different than the everyday paranormal romance. ( )
  rosetyper9 | Nov 12, 2015 |
I picked up this book after Fire Lord's Lover, and it's not nearly as good. Not terrible, by any means, just not great either.

This book takes place on a water planet (no really, it's all water, with forests growing on the sea), and the world-building is pretty decent for a romance novel, but incomplete.

The characters were very flat, and the best character, by far, is the "pet" in the book Jaja. ( )
  suzemo | Mar 31, 2013 |

suzemo | Mar 31, 2013 |
Plot:
Mahri needs a healer for her village and by mistake she kidnaps the crown prince, there is instant lust between these. But he is a royal that has everything and she is just a low water-rat.

My thoughts:
The world she creates is pure magic. Truly something I have not experienced in a while. I want to see it on a big screen, I fear my imagination could only take me so far. The world is hard to describe, 13 moons, trees growing out from the ocean and people living in them, beneath them the ocean beasts. A world is filled with wonders. I do confess that it was not as good as her last book, but then this is an old book that has been re-issued so she has become a better writer, but the book is still good.

Mahri is a strong independent widow who does not want to love and loose again. But she and Korl are meant for each other but she fights it with every muscle. He realizes his love and yields to it. But I understand her, she is not him, she lives in a swamp, he in a palace. And even a golden cage would be a cage for her. She is a runner, I will give out that. But I understand her. And I do love a man who will give up everything. Of course these two have one rocky romance, they are so different.

I have already told you the world is pure magic, what a creation. For some reason I thought of Avatar, well had to think of something even though they are nothing alike. It came more when Mahri got the information that her people came from the sky in fire. Therefore the hint of sci-fi, but the technology is long go. Now they use magic they get from a root found in the swamp.

Final thoughts and recommendation:
Ok yes there is the romance, but honestly, the world intrigued me more. So that was my fav part in this book. I am a sucker for good world-building. Cos of that I will give it a 3,5. It was interesting, and something for lovers of fantasy romance, and sci-fi since even if there was not any sci-fi in it I had that alien feeling all way through.

Reason for reading:
Liked her other book ( )
  blodeuedd | Dec 8, 2010 |

A brand-new paranormal romance from Five Star!

When boat-smuggler Mahri Zin kidnaps a Healer to cure her family and he turns out to be the Prince of Sea Forest, she must use too much of the magical zabbaroot to escape his enemies. From her root-induced coma she learns that the natives of this planet plan for her to Bond with him, a joining so final that to tear it asunder would mean the death of them both. Mahri only wants her freedom, but as they plunge through the dangerous waters of the swamps she finds it hard to resist the physical lure of Prince Korl. And the Prince must change the entire world of Sea Forest in order to gain her heart, and ultimately determine mankind's survival on this landless planet.

Kathryne Kennedy is a college graduate and business owner, and has published nearly a dozen short stories in the speculative romance genre. She lives in Arizona with her husband, two sons, and the rest of her wonderful family.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:57 -0400)

He's a ruler in a divided world...

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,679,298 books! | Top bar: Always visible