Double Act by Jacqueline Wilson

Double Act (1995)

by Jacqueline Wilson

Ruby and Garnet are twins. They like the same things, they dress the same way and they don't want their lives to change, thank you very much.

Double act is a strong-handed exploration of how change isn't bad, how being different isn't bad and how you should be who you are even if it upsets the people around you. Reading it now as an adult I mostly just feel bad for their dad who's trying to build a future with a new woman and is met at very turn by his kids being complete brats. Like, hey kids, just chill out.

I also have a quibble with the format of the book. It takes the form of Ruby and Garnet retelling their life in a diary. The problem I have with this format is that these things often come across as hugely inauthentic and this is no different. The twins talk to each other on the page and not like "I'm leaving a note for you to read later" talking to each other but like they're both sat there writing about the other snatching the pen from them and it doesn't really work for me. Also the entire story writing thing involves revealing a certain amount of 'I wanted to keep this from my twin' which isn't something a kid with half a brain would be in a shared diary. ( )
  TPauSilver | Sep 18, 2014 |
This was one of the first books I read after I started primary school - I remember because I bought it from the book club leaflets we used to get round. I loved it, unlike pretty much every other Jacqueline Wilson book I subsequently read (with the exception of The Lottie Project). So when I started buying second-hand books I'd loved as a child, this was pretty far up the list.

It just didn't hold up on a re-read. I was torn between giving it two and three stars and only gave it three because I had loved it, once. This was just... blegh. Both of the twins are annoying (obviously Ruby moreso) and the whole thing is just SO entirely awful and affected and unrealistic and... pretty much everything else that put me off JW's other books when I was a kid. I'm not sure WHY I liked this one that much. Perhaps it seemed like a novelty because it was the first one I read? It only took me about half an hour to reread, so I suppose it was brief, at least. I liked the unusual style, I suppose, of having them write it as if it were a diary of sorts, and I liked the idea of buying a bookshop and painting it red, and finding all the stuff in it. I just wish there had been more description, more - oh, I don't know. I'm looking for something that clearly isn't there.

Wilson's books are preachy and boring with no real sparkle or magic. She attempts to get into the heads of children who are going through traumatic events (such as divorce, or death, or many of the other things that happen in lives, both young and old) but it rarely rang true to me as a kid, and it doesn't now. If you're buying for kids, please, PLEASE buy them anything else. Buy something that will fire their imagination. Don't buy this miserable toss. ( )
  heterocephalusglaber | Apr 26, 2013 |
its a really fun school book to read and i didnt want to put it down.
i lovvvvvveeeeddddddd it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ( )
  sas.07.foxton | Jan 29, 2013 |
Tara Lane really likes this book and would like the library to get it. ( )
  Hurupaki | Oct 16, 2012 |
I loved it!
it is sad when ruby acts so miserable when she dosent get a place at the
school. ( )
  Eloisef | Jul 1, 2012 |
We're twins. I'm Ruby. She's Garnet.

No one can ever be like a mother to us, especially not stupid frizzy dizzy Rose! Ruby and Garnet are 10-year-old identical twins. They do everything together, especially since their mom died three years ago. Can being a double act work forever? Especially when their father starts dating again?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:17:53 -0400)

Ten-year-old twins Ruby and Garnet try to deal with the big changes in their lives when their father starts dating and they face the possibility of being separated.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,887,769 books! | Top bar: Always visible