Wyvernhail by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes

again, the book is written well but i guess i question the decision to take it so far away from the original characters and foresee this "Great Destruction" i don't know, in my opinion i would have stopped reading after Snakecharm =) and i do now when i read them over ( )
  KendraFitz | Feb 27, 2017 |
Richly imagined, this story is the continuation of the Kiesha'ra series of books, that follow the fortunes of intertwined and opposing peoples, of avian creatures, serpents, and wolves. Amelia Atwater-Rhodes has woven a rich mythology and compelling cultures for all the civilisations we meet in the course of her series, and the characters that inhabit her world are many facetted, realistic and often beautifully flawed.

That same attention to detail holds true in this book in the series, where all that has gone before comes to a head in the confusing conflict between past and future seen through the eyes of Hai, a falcon-cobra hybrid who both embodies, and somehow manages to rise above the age old conflict that has raged for centuries between the two peoples, and which now threatens to tear apart the fragile peace, won at so great a cost during the course of the first four novels.

The writing is fast paced, events coming thick and fast one after another, and the plot twists and turns almost as much as the unstable magic twists the lives of those born of such as union as the one between Hai's parents, and while the ending seems, in some ways, bittersweet – it is an appropriate ending; one that ties up the loose ends and yet – at the same time, could leave open avenues to walk within the world of the series. ( )
  cedargrove | Jan 30, 2014 |
I enjoyed this book, but it wasn't the end of the series I was hoping for. The first of the books I simply couldn't put down. The issues between the bird and snake peoples are just so moving I was completely caught up. As the series progressed and the characters shifted into the children of those we had grown to love, the tone of the series shifted slightly and while it was as enjoyable as the beginning of the set, the energy wasn't the same, changing how I felt about the story as a whole unit.

The culture that is created in the series is very well thought out. That is one thing consistent through every book. It is obvious that the author took great care to create something that had meaning and prepare relationships that would mean something in the reader's own heart. That also continues with Wyvernhail, where characters that we had previously felt uncertain of are beginning to grow flesh before our eyes.

This wasn't a book I sat down and devoured the way I had the first of the series, but I didn't find myself wishing things had been different either. If this truly is the end to the Kiesha'ra series, I feel that it is an appropriate one. However if another book pops up, I'll happily snatch it off my library's shelf. ( )
  mirrani | Dec 15, 2013 |
The final (?) book in Atwater-Rhodes series about feuding shapeshifter tribes. Beautiful ending to the story featuring a wounded - both physically and mentally - wyvern (half-snake half-falcon) and sacrifice to save the world. ( )
  hoosgracie | Aug 19, 2010 |
The 5th and final book in the Kiesha'ra series, I think that this is one of the best (though "Hawksong" definitely would be first).
"Wyvernhail" is about Hai, a shape-shifter who is half falcon and half cobra. Her half-blood ancestry also creates divided loyalties, and her life is further complicated by the dangerous and prophetic magical abilities she possesses.
A dark and tragically heartbreaking story about a world in complete chaos, and a single girl who is attempting to change the already foreseen future.
While reading this book, up to the very end I couldn't imagine how it could possibly end happily. The outlook and atmosphere was decidedly bleak.
I loved the characters in this book, except for the main character Hai, whom I could not quite like or dislike.
As always, Amelia Atwater-Rhodes has written an elegant mix of fantasy, romance, and excitement. If you enjoyed the other books in this series, I would recommend reading this one as well. ( )
  joririchardson | Jan 20, 2010 |
Who am I?

HAI HAS ALWAYS been an outsider. With a falcon mother and a deceased cobra father, she is considered a mongrel by most, an ally by some, and a friend by few. Hai's broken falcon wings are a painful reminder of the life she once led on the island of Ahnmik. And here in Wyvern's Court, the avian and serpiente royal family keep their distance, refusing to acknowledge her cobra bloodline. They know that Hai's magic is so volatile, she can barely control it, and images of the past and future threaten to overwhelm her.

When Hai's cousin, Oliza Shardae Cobriana, abdicates the throne of Wyvern's Court, Hai has visions only of destruction: the serpiente king Salem, dying in her arms; the dutiful guard, Nicias, unable to save a generation of children; and Wyvern's Court engulfed in flames.

Now Hai will do anything to protect her new home - even if it means betraying the very people who need her most.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:20 -0400)

In order to protect the people and the world she loves from the future she sees in increasingly horrific visions, Hai is forced to throw away her own happiness and ascend the serpiente throne.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,394,987 books! | Top bar: Always visible