Pippi Longstocking by Astrid Lindgren

Pippi Longstocking (1945)

by Astrid Lindgren

Series: Pippi Longstocking (1)

Recently added byprivate library, krismace, DebbieBaker27, g2-lpi, d_Rno, sandrikoti, evareads, marinettemarinette
Legacy LibrariesAstrid Lindgren

English (97)  Swedish (2)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (102)
This book was awesome. Pippi Longstocking was a young girl when she moved to her new home. Her new home was a retirement home that her father had bought for her. Pippi's mother died when she was very young and it turns out her father was lost at sea and never came home. She has a pet monkey and a pet horse that live with her. One reason I liked this book so much was because of the characters. Pippi, for example, is a care free spirit who does not care what anyone has to say. Her confidence is admirable and to me, that is a wonderful thing to see as a reader. As I was reading, I felt that I was proud to be a girl (or woman) and it was awesome to feel a sense of pride. Pippi did not let anyone bully her or break her down from who she was and that is a wonderful message to portray. Another reason I really enjoyed this book was the change of mood and plot from the beginning to end. When Pippi first moved in, her neighbors Annika and Tommy were not too keen of her. They were two very well behaved children and they would not dare act like Pippi. However, as they all spent time together, both Tommy and Annika realized they started to admire and love Pippi's charisma and wanted to be her friend. ( )
  kelseyjenkens | Apr 28, 2016 |
Not a single book-length adventure, but more of a collection of silly stories about an impossible little girl. She's silly and impatient and uneducated, yet eager and powerful. She lives a bewildering and zany life, but she has to up the ante by always relating dubious stories about even crazier life experiences around the fantastical world. I read this with my kids. My 8 year old laughed loudly at the silly parts. The 5 year old followed the stories closely. I think this book was originally in Swedish, but the English was so casual with idioms and childish slang that it seemed natural. ( )
  richjj | Mar 25, 2016 |
Fun book. Fun TV show and fun movie. ( )
  Marlene-NL | Mar 12, 2016 |
This is probably one of my favorite books! One of the reasons I love this book is for the characters. Since I was younger I always loved Pippi Longstocking, she is confident, different, and silly, which makes everyone reading the book love her and want to be her. Another reason I love this story because its funny! Adults and children both can get a kick out of reading this book and seeing what Pippi does. For example her days are filled with dancing, pancakes, and games. 0This books sends a really good message to kids that it's ok to be different and to always be nice (even when getting bullied like Pipi). ( )
  tazool1 | Mar 3, 2016 |

Palme, AnnuskaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rettich, RolfIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Seligsohnn, NancyIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ziliotto, DonatellaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Way out at the end of a tiny little town was an overgrown garden, and in the garden was an old house, and in the house lived Pippi Longstocking.
This is the first book in the series about Pippi Longstocking. Please don't combine with omnibus editions.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0142402494, Paperback)

Pippi is an irrepressible, irreverent, and irrefutably delightful girl who lives alone (with a monkey) in her wacky house, Villa Villekulla. When she's not dancing with the burglars who were just trying to rob her house, she's attempting to learn the "pluttification" tables at school; fighting Adolf, the strongest man in the world at the circus; or playing tag with police officers. Pippi's high-spirited, good-natured hijinks cause as much trouble as fun, but a more generous child you won't find anywhere.

Astrid Lindgren has created a unique and lovable character, inspiring generations of children to want to be Pippi. More than anything, Pippi makes reading a pleasure; no child will welcome the end of the book, and many will return to Pippi Longstocking again and again. Simply put, Pippi is irresistible. (Ages 9 to 12)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:38 -0400)

Escapades of a lucky little girl who lives with a horse and a monkey--but without any parents--at the edge of a Swedish village.

Legacy Library: Astrid Lindgren

Astrid Lindgren has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Astrid Lindgren's legacy profile.

See Astrid Lindgren's author page.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,907,005 books! | Top bar: Always visible