Pippi Longstocking by Astrid Lindgren

Pippi Longstocking (1945)

by Astrid Lindgren

Series: Pippi Longstocking (1)

5,761119737 (4)239

English (113)  Swedish (2)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  Finnish (1)  All (118)
Classic
  MeaghanRyan | Dec 10, 2017 |
Over the last year I'd seen some cute Pippi editions floating around, but I refused to let myself buy one because I already had copies of the Pippi books. Or so I thought. But once it was clear that my six-year-old was ready for chapter books for bedtime story, I went on a search. And while I definitely had Pippi books growing up, it appears they were not among the books from our childhood library that I "inherited." Well, it was a Pippi emergency, so I had to obtain a copy immediately. This was the only edition at the store at the time -- hardly as charming as really any of the others I've seen, but it had to be done.

Reading beloved childhood books to one's own children is a fraught business. Early on in the book I kept wanting to slam the book shut and chide my child for not paying enough attention. It was hurting me that he didn't seem to love it enough. About halfway through the book I instituted the "coloring or sitting on the couch rule," and that made all the difference. Suddenly he was laughing or boggling at all the right places. He's probably not ready to read this book to himself yet, so now that we're done, I should lend it to my older son for a bit.

If you're not familiar with Pippi yet, I mean, really. Get on it. She's the original STRONG FEMALE CHARACTER. She lifts horses over her head, lies her face off, eats all the cake at tea parties, scares off burglars, has no time for schooling, and is in general a delight. A DELIGHT.

I need to keep an eye out for nice editions of the other books now. ( )
  greeniezona | Dec 6, 2017 |
I'm quite late to the party and maybe too old to fully appreciate Pippi now. She's lovable but a bit annoying, although as a kid I'm sure I'd have loved her. I'm glad to have finally read it. ( )
  Laurochka | Aug 18, 2017 |
Read for Classic Novel discussion.
  Taylorsexton | Aug 15, 2017 |
Pippi Longstocking by Astrid Lundgren is a classic children’s story about a unique little girl. Pippi does everything that children aren’t supposed to do which, of course, endears her to the hearts of children of all ages. Pippi is never mean spirited or bad, she just looks at the world in a different way.
She tells outrageous lies and never simply obeys an adult’s order, she lives by her own rules. She is also the strongest little girl in the world.

Whether she goes to the circus for the first time, thwarts two burglars or attends a ladies coffee party she does so in her own way with hilarious results. But everything about Pippi is not lighthearted and gay as she lives alone with no parents to guide her. Of her missing parents we learn that her mother has gone to live with the angels and her father is off becoming the Cannibal King but we do learn that he was washed overboard and considered lost at sea. Pippi lives in a small town in Sweden and livens up the lives of everyone she meets especially the two children that live next door to her. These children are alternately enthralled and delighted or appalled and horrified at her behavior, while we, the readers, are always entertained by her cheeky ways.

Pippi Longstocking was published in Sweden in 1945 and was very successful, but in 1954 when it was translated and published in English it became a world-wide hit and has gone on to become a classic. I listened to an audio version and so missed out on the highly rated illustrations that are in the book. Although chaos follows her, Pippi is generous and always means well. This is a book that well deserves a place of honor in any child’s library. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Jun 2, 2017 |

Ross, TonyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Seligsohnn, NancyIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vang Nyman, IngridIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ziliotto, DonatellaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Way out at the end of a tiny little town was an overgrown garden, and in the garden was an old house, and in the house lived Pippi Longstocking.
At the end of a little Swedish town lay an old, overgrown orchard.

(translated by Edna Hurup, 1954)
This is the first book in the series about Pippi Longstocking. Please don't combine with omnibus editions.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0142402494, Paperback)

Pippi is an irrepressible, irreverent, and irrefutably delightful girl who lives alone (with a monkey) in her wacky house, Villa Villekulla. When she's not dancing with the burglars who were just trying to rob her house, she's attempting to learn the "pluttification" tables at school; fighting Adolf, the strongest man in the world at the circus; or playing tag with police officers. Pippi's high-spirited, good-natured hijinks cause as much trouble as fun, but a more generous child you won't find anywhere.

Astrid Lindgren has created a unique and lovable character, inspiring generations of children to want to be Pippi. More than anything, Pippi makes reading a pleasure; no child will welcome the end of the book, and many will return to Pippi Longstocking again and again. Simply put, Pippi is irresistible. (Ages 9 to 12)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:38 -0400)

Escapades of a lucky little girl who lives with a horse and a monkey--but without any parents--at the edge of a Swedish village.

Legacy Library: Astrid Lindgren

Astrid Lindgren has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Astrid Lindgren's legacy profile.

See Astrid Lindgren's author page.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,805,687 books! | Top bar: Always visible