Pippi Longstocking by Tony Ross

Pippi Longstocking (original 1945; edition 2004)

by Tony Ross, Edna Hurup (Illustrator)

5,365114817 (4)220
Member:eva.lopez.diaz
Title:Pippi Longstocking
Authors:Tony Ross
Other authors:Edna Hurup (Illustrator)
Info:Oxford Childrens (2004), Edition: New edition, Paperback, 144 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Comedy

Pippi Longstocking by Astrid Lindgren (1945)

English (109)  Swedish (2)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  Finnish (1)  All (114)
Pippi lives a very unusual life. ( )
  SaraLancon | Apr 17, 2017 |
Pippi Longstocking is a memorable character who lives on her own at a young age on an island in Sweden. She is full of adventures and childlike antics that confound adults but delight the children in her neighborhood. No one quite knows what do do with her except for the brother and sister next door who befriend her.
  annereid1 | Mar 20, 2017 |
I grew up loving the 1988 film version of Pippi Longstocking, but I never read the book until this year. I was glad to discover the two are very similar. The fun-loving, feisty Pippi that I was a fan of in the movie is there in full effect in the book. Pippilotta Delicatessa Windowshade Mackrelmint Efraim's Daughter Longstocking lives by herself with only her horse and her monkey to keep her company. Pippi is separate from her father during a storm at sea and moves into her house, Villa Villekulla. She has superhuman strength and doesn’t follow the regular rules of society.

One of the things I always loved about Pippi when I was growing up is her freedom. There are no parents. She doesn’t have to go to school if she doesn’t want to. Of course that would appeal to a kid! As much as I loved my parents, I think half of the pretend games I played with my brother and sister started off with us being orphaned somehow. It’s like your imagination has so much more freedom when you remove any form of supervision from the equation.

BOTTOM LINE: Read it with a child-like heart and you’ll enjoy it. It’s fun and playful, but obviously as a parent you’re going to be worried about the orphaned girl. ( )
1 vote bookworm12 | Dec 21, 2016 |
I enjoyed reading "Pippi Longstocking" for three reasons. First, I enjoyed this text because of its strange uniqueness (ex: Pippi had a monkey on her shoulder, a horse on her porch, and no parents to tell her when it was bedtime). Second, Pippi seems to be a free spirit and silly, young girl. She loves adventure and causing mischief (ex: playing tag when the police came to get her). Third, I think the lies Pippi would tell the class were funny and definitely strange! (ex: Pippi tells a story about a Chinese man she knew from Shanghai). Pippi Longstocking is a children's chapter book that reveals the truth and lies of Pippi's life. This story also takes you through Pippi's adventures. The big idea behind this text is for it to be an imaginative and humorous book for children to read. ( )
  CheyenneSnider | Dec 15, 2016 |
I definitely enjoyed this one much more when I was a child. As an adult, I find Pippi annoying at times. It's still a fun book, but there are other children's books I'd much rather read over again. ( )
  danaenicole | Dec 10, 2016 |

Rettich, RolfIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Seligsohnn, NancyIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vang Nyman, IngridIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ziliotto, DonatellaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Way out at the end of a tiny little town was an overgrown garden, and in the garden was an old house, and in the house lived Pippi Longstocking.
This is the first book in the series about Pippi Longstocking. Please don't combine with omnibus editions.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0142402494, Paperback)

Pippi is an irrepressible, irreverent, and irrefutably delightful girl who lives alone (with a monkey) in her wacky house, Villa Villekulla. When she's not dancing with the burglars who were just trying to rob her house, she's attempting to learn the "pluttification" tables at school; fighting Adolf, the strongest man in the world at the circus; or playing tag with police officers. Pippi's high-spirited, good-natured hijinks cause as much trouble as fun, but a more generous child you won't find anywhere.

Astrid Lindgren has created a unique and lovable character, inspiring generations of children to want to be Pippi. More than anything, Pippi makes reading a pleasure; no child will welcome the end of the book, and many will return to Pippi Longstocking again and again. Simply put, Pippi is irresistible. (Ages 9 to 12)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:38 -0400)

Escapades of a lucky little girl who lives with a horse and a monkey--but without any parents--at the edge of a Swedish village.

Legacy Library: Astrid Lindgren

Astrid Lindgren has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Astrid Lindgren's legacy profile.

See Astrid Lindgren's author page.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,459,487 books! | Top bar: Always visible