Pippi Longstocking by Tony Ross

Pippi Longstocking (original 1945; edition 2004)

by Tony Ross, Edna Hurup (Illustrator)

Member:eva.lopez.diaz
Title:Pippi Longstocking
Authors:Tony Ross
Other authors:Edna Hurup (Illustrator)
Info:
Rating:*****
Tags:Comedy

Pippi Longstocking by Astrid Lindgren (1945)

English (80)  Swedish (2)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (85)
This is my favorite book of all time. I love all this book has to offer. When I was younger this was the book my father read to me every night so as well as it being a great book that is relatable and has quirky pictures it is also very sentimental. Although reading it now I realized that this girl lives by herself with a horse and monkey. Where are her parents and how old is Pipi? I still love this book but I feel those are important details in the story. The illustrations really aid in the telling of the story because some of the things she is doing sound so ridiculous but the picture gives the story credibility. It is as if the illustrations are confirming that the fact what we think and visualize look just as ridiculous on paper. The main message of this story is to always be true to you. Pipi knows who she is and was not afraid to show it. ( )
  Madison94 | Oct 21, 2014 |
A lovely book telling us about Pippi's adventures with Tommy and Annika, just after she moved in to Villa Villekulla.

Watched the tv series when I was young and I admired Pippi a lot. This book brings scenes from that series back to life without any effort. :-) ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Jun 9, 2014 |
Summary: Pippi Longstocking is put is an orphan who decides school isn't right for her. She moves into a raggedy house next to Annika and Tommy and the three become inseparable. Pippi shows them how to have the wildest adventures in your own home. She dances with the burglars who rob her and shows how to be kind and loyal to friends no matter what your circumstances.
Genre- New Classics
Review- I read this book once growing up and reading it again now was a different experience for me. I now see the theme to be about finding your identity and being yourself no matter what. In a classroom, I see this as a book to incorporate into an art project where students could read all about the kookiness of Pippi and then draw out what makes them special and unique. ( )
  mroque | Jun 6, 2014 |
Pippi is a care-free, silly girl that is a great character to read about. Her adventures in this book are, although completely unrealistic, it is very entertaining and make you want to continue reading to see what unbelievable thing she will do next. I remember when I read this book, I wanted to be Pippi and live her life. I even remember laughing out loud! I thought it was so "cool" that she lived without her parents in a gorgeous house and always found herself involved in the most outlandish situations such as dancing with burglars who tried to rob her! She puts a positive spin on every situation she is in and I found myself upset when the book was over. The message in this book is to always have a positive outlook on life, regardless if it may seem negative at the time. ( )
  jjones58 | Apr 10, 2014 |
I liked this book for a few reasons. For one, I liked the main character, Pippi, because she is not the typical nine-year-old girl. I would describe her as independent and spunky. Pippi’s character traits also reflect the plot, which I thought contained engaging conflicts. For example, there was a burning house with children in it. Pippi was able to save the children before the fireman could. I also liked the language of the book because it was descriptive. Within the first few pages of the story, Pippi’s hair is described as “the color of a carrot, braided in two tight braids that stuck straight out.” I was able to picture what Pippie looked like from this description. Finally, I liked the writing because it was engaging. Throughout the story, there were many unusual activities that were described that would keep students interested in reading the story. For example, instead of mopping the floor, Pippie would put scrub brushes on her feet and walk around the room. The big message of Pippie Longstocking is that people should not judge others by their appearance. In the story, neighborhood mothers would explain how Pippie did not have any manners and did not approve of the way she dressed. Yet in the end, when the children were in the burning house, Pippie was the bravest and rescued them. This showed how Pippie had a kind heart and the mothers’ judgments were not accurate. ( )
  Kgranit | Apr 5, 2014 |

Kennedy, RichardIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lamborn, FlorenceTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nyman, IngridIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Seligsohnn, NancyIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Way out at the end of a tiny little town was an overgrown garden, and in the garden was an old house, and in the house lived Pippi Longstocking.
This is the first book in the series about Pippi Longstocking. Please don't combine with omnibus editions.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0142402494, Paperback)

Pippi is an irrepressible, irreverent, and irrefutably delightful girl who lives alone (with a monkey) in her wacky house, Villa Villekulla. When she's not dancing with the burglars who were just trying to rob her house, she's attempting to learn the "pluttification" tables at school; fighting Adolf, the strongest man in the world at the circus; or playing tag with police officers. Pippi's high-spirited, good-natured hijinks cause as much trouble as fun, but a more generous child you won't find anywhere.

Astrid Lindgren has created a unique and lovable character, inspiring generations of children to want to be Pippi. More than anything, Pippi makes reading a pleasure; no child will welcome the end of the book, and many will return to Pippi Longstocking again and again. Simply put, Pippi is irresistible. (Ages 9 to 12)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:58 -0400)

Escapades of a lucky little girl who lives with a horse and a monkey--but without any parents--at the edge of a Swedish village.

Legacy Library: Astrid Lindgren

Astrid Lindgren has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Astrid Lindgren's legacy profile.

See Astrid Lindgren's author page.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,387,273 books! | Top bar: Always visible