Pippi Longstocking by Tony Ross

Pippi Longstocking (original 1945; edition 2004)

by Tony Ross, Edna Hurup (Illustrator)

Member:eva.lopez.diaz
Title:Pippi Longstocking
Authors:Tony Ross
Other authors:Edna Hurup (Illustrator)
Info:Oxford Childrens (2004), Edition: New edition, Paperback, 144 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Comedy

Pippi Longstocking by Astrid Lindgren (1945)

English (81)  Swedish (2)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (86)
Pippi Longstocking (Puffin Modern Classics) by Lindgren, Astrid is a masterpiece of children's literature. Pippi, the title character is absolutely refreshing. She is independent, creative, inventive, imaginative, funny, friendly. She marches to her own drummer and quite a different drummer it is. I read this book because I told one of the little test on Facebook which tells you which color you are, or which animal you are, or which character in children's stories you are. So I was a sucker and took the quiz about which character I was. I was Pippi Longstocking whom I had never heard of so I decided I must read the book. While I consider her an exaggeration of the traits they we may share, it does have some accuracies. Pippi is independent and does her things her own way which isn't the way most would do it. In that sense she is imaginative. She marches to her own drummer as I think I do. She is frivolous. She likes to have a good time. I have been accused of those things. Her behavior is completely unconventional. It makes for most refreshing story. It made me laugh outload. She gets herself in bizarre situations where she doesn't know how to react because she was brought up on ship traveling the world with her rather. So she didn't have a mother to teach her social etiquette. so she had no idea how to behave after she left the ship . Life on shipboard with a bunch of man doing business was a different experience. A situation where she got little direction by a bunch of shipmates as to how to behave. She carried that failure to like when she had her own house and lived with the monkey and her horse. The book is very clever, funny and absolutely worth a read. ( )
  SigmundFraud | Oct 23, 2014 |
This is my favorite book of all time. I love all this book has to offer. When I was younger this was the book my father read to me every night so as well as it being a great book that is relatable and has quirky pictures it is also very sentimental. Although reading it now I realized that this girl lives by herself with a horse and monkey. Where are her parents and how old is Pipi? I still love this book but I feel those are important details in the story. The illustrations really aid in the telling of the story because some of the things she is doing sound so ridiculous but the picture gives the story credibility. It is as if the illustrations are confirming that the fact what we think and visualize look just as ridiculous on paper. The main message of this story is to always be true to you. Pipi knows who she is and was not afraid to show it. ( )
  Madison94 | Oct 21, 2014 |
A lovely book telling us about Pippi's adventures with Tommy and Annika, just after she moved in to Villa Villekulla.

Watched the tv series when I was young and I admired Pippi a lot. This book brings scenes from that series back to life without any effort. :-) ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Jun 9, 2014 |
Summary: Pippi Longstocking is put is an orphan who decides school isn't right for her. She moves into a raggedy house next to Annika and Tommy and the three become inseparable. Pippi shows them how to have the wildest adventures in your own home. She dances with the burglars who rob her and shows how to be kind and loyal to friends no matter what your circumstances.
Genre- New Classics
Review- I read this book once growing up and reading it again now was a different experience for me. I now see the theme to be about finding your identity and being yourself no matter what. In a classroom, I see this as a book to incorporate into an art project where students could read all about the kookiness of Pippi and then draw out what makes them special and unique. ( )
  mroque | Jun 6, 2014 |
Pippi is a care-free, silly girl that is a great character to read about. Her adventures in this book are, although completely unrealistic, it is very entertaining and make you want to continue reading to see what unbelievable thing she will do next. I remember when I read this book, I wanted to be Pippi and live her life. I even remember laughing out loud! I thought it was so "cool" that she lived without her parents in a gorgeous house and always found herself involved in the most outlandish situations such as dancing with burglars who tried to rob her! She puts a positive spin on every situation she is in and I found myself upset when the book was over. The message in this book is to always have a positive outlook on life, regardless if it may seem negative at the time. ( )
  jjones58 | Apr 10, 2014 |

Kennedy, RichardIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lamborn, FlorenceTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nyman, IngridIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Seligsohnn, NancyIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Way out at the end of a tiny little town was an overgrown garden, and in the garden was an old house, and in the house lived Pippi Longstocking.
This is the first book in the series about Pippi Longstocking. Please don't combine with omnibus editions.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0142402494, Paperback)

Pippi is an irrepressible, irreverent, and irrefutably delightful girl who lives alone (with a monkey) in her wacky house, Villa Villekulla. When she's not dancing with the burglars who were just trying to rob her house, she's attempting to learn the "pluttification" tables at school; fighting Adolf, the strongest man in the world at the circus; or playing tag with police officers. Pippi's high-spirited, good-natured hijinks cause as much trouble as fun, but a more generous child you won't find anywhere.

Astrid Lindgren has created a unique and lovable character, inspiring generations of children to want to be Pippi. More than anything, Pippi makes reading a pleasure; no child will welcome the end of the book, and many will return to Pippi Longstocking again and again. Simply put, Pippi is irresistible. (Ages 9 to 12)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:58 -0400)

Escapades of a lucky little girl who lives with a horse and a monkey--but without any parents--at the edge of a Swedish village.

Legacy Library: Astrid Lindgren

Astrid Lindgren has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Astrid Lindgren's legacy profile.

See Astrid Lindgren's author page.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,352,082 books! | Top bar: Always visible