Pippi Longstocking by Tony Ross

Pippi Longstocking (original 1945; edition 2004)

by Tony Ross, Edna Hurup (Illustrator)

Member:eva.lopez.diaz
Title:Pippi Longstocking
Authors:Tony Ross
Other authors:Edna Hurup (Illustrator)
Info:Oxford Childrens (2004), Edition: New edition, Paperback, 144 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Comedy

Pippi Longstocking by Astrid Lindgren (1945)

English (87)  Swedish (2)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (92)
Growing up, I positively LOVED Astrid Lindgren! Pippi, Ronia, Karlson... Those were the characters I grew up with. They were my heroes. My recent re-read of the novel is the first time I have read Astrid Lindgren in English. Although I remember enjoying reading Pippi Longstocking, and count Astrid Lindgren as one of my all-time favorite children's authors, Pippi herself has never been one of my favorite Lindgren characters (Ronia was). And, while I have gained a greater appreciation and love for Pippi as a character as a result of my recent reread, she is still not an absolute favorite for the same reason why Superman will never be my favorite superhero. I would enjoy the book more if she were not so invincible or possessed such unlimited powers and wealth. To me, Pippi's superhuman strength and general invincibility dull the excitement and adventure of the book. There is never true tension, or the possibility of Pippi failing. As charming and irrepressible as Pippi is, I have always found her a tad too fantastical and extreme to readily identify with her. ( )
  crunchymunchkin | Apr 22, 2015 |
It was a cute book. Wish I had read it when my kids were little and had read it to them then. I read the entire book over my lunch period at work, lol. ( )
  sandra.k.heinzman | Apr 2, 2015 |
I read this one out loud to my kids, and I have NO IDEA why it took so long to finish. We just kept forgetting about it, I suppose, because we all thoroughly enjoyed it. Pippi is sassy, funny, strong (literally), and goofy. Is she the best role model? No, as proven by one of our mantras during the read: don't do as Pippi does. But the other kids are in there as delightful counterpoints and Pippi's actually are so clearly silly that she doesn't need to be a good example, she's much more enjoyable as a horrible warning. ( )
  CherieDooryard | Jan 20, 2015 |

Kennedy, RichardIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lamborn, FlorenceTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nyman, IngridIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Seligsohnn, NancyIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Way out at the end of a tiny little town was an overgrown garden, and in the garden was an old house, and in the house lived Pippi Longstocking.
This is the first book in the series about Pippi Longstocking. Please don't combine with omnibus editions.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0142402494, Paperback)

Pippi is an irrepressible, irreverent, and irrefutably delightful girl who lives alone (with a monkey) in her wacky house, Villa Villekulla. When she's not dancing with the burglars who were just trying to rob her house, she's attempting to learn the "pluttification" tables at school; fighting Adolf, the strongest man in the world at the circus; or playing tag with police officers. Pippi's high-spirited, good-natured hijinks cause as much trouble as fun, but a more generous child you won't find anywhere.

Astrid Lindgren has created a unique and lovable character, inspiring generations of children to want to be Pippi. More than anything, Pippi makes reading a pleasure; no child will welcome the end of the book, and many will return to Pippi Longstocking again and again. Simply put, Pippi is irresistible. (Ages 9 to 12)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:38 -0400)

Escapades of a lucky little girl who lives with a horse and a monkey--but without any parents--at the edge of a Swedish village.

Legacy Library: Astrid Lindgren

Astrid Lindgren has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Astrid Lindgren's legacy profile.

See Astrid Lindgren's author page.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,438,337 books! | Top bar: Always visible