Specials by Scott Westerfeld

Specials

by Scott Westerfeld

Series: Uglies (3)

6,260190935 (3.78)185

English (189)  French (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (191)
In comparison to how much I enjoyed [b:Uglies|24770|Uglies (Uglies, #1)|Scott Westerfeld|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1255574770s/24770.jpg|2895388] and [b:Pretties|4137|Me Talk Pretty One Day|David Sedaris|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1165389015s/4137.jpg|1030767] I didn't enjoy this book at all. I missed the Tally I'd come to know. At the end of the previous book she was changed against her will into a Special so I was prepared for how she'd act in this book, at least at the beginning, but I expected her to fight her way through it and become Tally again, and to my mind she didn't. We're told over and over how Tally fought the programming and how she refused to be changed again and was going to live out her life with her Special programming, and I think we were supposed to see that as a victory. But I read her refusal to have her Special programming removed as her giving up. I grieved for the Tally I knew, the one who managed to shine through whatever was done to her.

I still hate Shay. Every time Tally would think of Shay as a friend I would grit my teeth, knowing that it was the programming and that Shay had done so much to hurt Tally. I couldn't accept Shay, no matter what happened, not even at the end. ( )
  tldegray | Sep 21, 2018 |
I kinda started losing interest in the series a bit with this one. It just started stretching things a bit too much, especially considering it wasn't really my kind of series to start with (which says a lot about the fact I continued reading to this point). That said, I will be reading the next one shortly, and am glad that the announcement regarding the new books put these books back on my radar at a time that I was able to give them a real chance with access to the audiobooks and all, which I didn't have back when the series was first released. It's definitely still worth reading, and is an interesting continuation of the storyline. ( )
  TiffanyAK | Sep 16, 2018 |
Felt horrible when she found out who died. It was a nooo! moment.But, in the end it was a really great series and ending. Though theres supposed to be another book the extras? Gotta check it out. ( )
  AdrianaGarcia | Jul 10, 2018 |
Read in High School
Age 13 (2006) – Age 22 (2015)
  KiTiraShorter | Mar 5, 2018 |
definitely a great read! ( )
  Moore31 | Feb 25, 2018 |
Specials is part parable of life as an adolescent struggling to define your identity in a conformist world; part dark and unflinching look at the very real mental disorders that this impossible circumstance visits upon many young people.
added by lampbane | editBoing Boing, Cory Doctorow (May 8, 2006)

Scott Westerfeldprimary authorall editionscalculated
Montbertrand, CarineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Part I: Being Special

By plucking her petals you do

not gather the beauty of the flower.

- Rabindranath Tagore, "Stray Birds"
To all the fans who've written me about this series. Thanks for telling me what was right, what was wrong, and which bits made you throw the book across the room. (You know who you are.)
The six hoverboards slipped among the trees with the lightning grace of playing cards thrown flat and spinning.
Part II: Tracking Zane

When the people of the world all know beauty as beauty,

There arises the recognition of ugliness.

When they all know the good as good,

There arises the recognition of evil.

- Lao Tzu, The Tao Te Ching
Part III: Unmaking War

One faces the future with one's past.

- Pearl S. Buck

The words have sent chills down Tally's spine since her days as a repellent, rebellious ugly. Back then Specials were a sinister rumor -- frighteningly beautiful, dangerously strong, breathtakingly fast. Ordinary pretties might live their whole lives without meeting a Special. But Tally's never been ordinary.

FOR USE IN SCHOOLS AND LIBRARIES ONLY. When she is turned into a super-modelesque super-fighting machine, Tally, a former ugly, is ordered to keep the uglies down and the pretties stupid in a carefully engineered world of perfection where she refuses to play by the rules.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:27 -0400)

After being captured and surgically transformed into a "special," teenaged Tally Youngblood, now a government agent programmed to protect society from outside threats, is ordered to eliminate the rebel colony New Smoke, Tally's former home.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,633,120 books! | Top bar: Always visible