Specials by Scott Westerfeld

Specials (edition 2007)

by Scott Westerfeld, Rodrigo Corral (Designer)

Series: Uglies (3)

5,698190747 (3.79)183
Authors:Scott Westerfeld
Other authors:Rodrigo Corral (Designer)
Info:Simon Pulse (2007), Edition: 1, Paperback, 400 pages
Tags:own, library sale, young adult, read2012, uglies series, adventure, environment, futuristic, TD

Specials by Scott Westerfeld

English (189)  French (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (191)
So I am not too sure why I am even giving this a 3 stars. It is probably like a 2.5 to me but interesting enough that I wanted to finish the book. I thought this was the last book in the trilogy but recently found out there was one more sooo Maybe I will get the conclusion that I need.. ( )
  Angel.Carter | Aug 11, 2016 |
A good finish to a great series. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jul 4, 2016 |
I liked this book much better than Pretties, although it was quite disturbing that some of the characters felt the need to cut themselves in order to think clearly. Overall, it was a very entertaining read. ( )
  BuffyBarber | Jun 5, 2016 |
Looking around I think I may be in the minority in thinking that this may be the best of the trilogy. I really enjoyed Uglies and, overall, it's probably a more consistent book, but the ending for Specials is very different from what I thought would come from the series. It's hard to describe (without spoiling anything) other than to say that it isn't exactly happy, but it was immensely satisfying.

A big improvement for me over Pretties, which felt too much like a rehash of Uglies. ( )
  thomnottom | Apr 21, 2016 |
I am almost scared to read book four, simply because the series could have been complete with this book. Everything ended, not perfectly of course, but as perfect as a series of this sort could end. In fact, the last words of the novel gave me goosebumps. I really appreciated the social commentary and how this series brings some awareness into the lives of people reading it. I especially like the way cutting was brought to light. Other than the more serious sides I was able to bring away from the book, I was very intrigued at how the situation played out with the "villain" in the end. That was a twist I did not see coming and was so different than any dystopian series I've read so far. If you're a fan of dystopia or a fan of Westerfeld you must read this series. ( )
  MynTop | Apr 8, 2016 |
Specials is part parable of life as an adolescent struggling to define your identity in a conformist world; part dark and unflinching look at the very real mental disorders that this impossible circumstance visits upon many young people.
added by lampbane | editBoing Boing, Cory Doctorow (May 8, 2006)

Scott Westerfeldprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Montbertrand, CarineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Part I: Being Special

By plucking her petals you do

not gather the beauty of the flower.

- Rabindranath Tagore, "Stray Birds"
To all the fans who've written me about this series. Thanks for telling me what was right, what was wrong, and which bits made you throw the book across the room. (You know who you are.)
The six hoverboards slipped among the trees with the lightning grace of playing cards thrown flat and spinning.
Part II: Tracking Zane

When the people of the world all know beauty as beauty,

There arises the recognition of ugliness.

When they all know the good as good,

There arises the recognition of evil.

- Lao Tzu, The Tao Te Ching
Part III: Unmaking War

One faces the future with one's past.

- Pearl S. Buck

The words have sent chills down Tally's spine since her days as a repellent, rebellious ugly. Back then Specials were a sinister rumor -- frighteningly beautiful, dangerously strong, breathtakingly fast. Ordinary pretties might live their whole lives without meeting a Special. But Tally's never been ordinary.

FOR USE IN SCHOOLS AND LIBRARIES ONLY. When she is turned into a super-modelesque super-fighting machine, Tally, a former ugly, is ordered to keep the uglies down and the pretties stupid in a carefully engineered world of perfection where she refuses to play by the rules.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:27 -0400)

The words have sent chills down Tally's spine since her days as a repellent, rebellious Ugly. Back then Specials were a sinister rumor, frighteningly beautiful, dangerously strong, breathtakingly fast. Ordinary Pretties might live their whole lives without meeting a Special. But Tally's never been ordinary and now she's been turned into one of them. A superamped fighting machine, engineered to keep the Uglies down and the Pretties stupid. The strength, the speed, the clarity and focus of her thinking feels better than anything Tally can remember. Most of the time. One tiny corner of her heart still remembers something more. Still, it's easy to tune that out until Tally's offered a chance to stamp out the rebels of the New Smoke permanently. It all comes down to one last choice to listen to that tiny, faint heartbeat or carry out the mission she's programmed to complete. Either way, Tally's world will never be the same.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,791,261 books! | Top bar: Always visible