Specials by Scott Westerfeld

Title:Specials
Authors:Scott Westerfeld
Info:Simon Pulse (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 384 pages

Specials by Scott Westerfeld

English (191)  French (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (193)
By this book, (really by the end of book two) the "Shay conflict" was getting a little old for me. But, I did love this book. I had trouble envisioning in my mind's eye all that he described with regard to the Specials' surge, there was so much to take in! The action, the storyline, how it all unfolded. I loved it. Except that one niggly thing he just HAD to do...I don't want to give a spoiler, but suffice it to say that it did not end ideally - for me. If it had, this would have been my "hands down" favorite of the series. ( )
  Amelia1989 | Jun 10, 2019 |
Ok, so I was half asleep during the first part of this audiobook, but I just finished it off this morning while working on something. It was sometimes predictable, and I can be bad at spotting predictable, but the adventures of Tally are just fun. I was sad to see her hoverboard off into the sunset... ( )
  cindywho | May 27, 2019 |
Me at every YA protagonist ever:

"I thought if you could see the world clearly, you'd think about yourself a little less. It wouldn't just be you and your latest boyfriend; I thought you might let something else matter every once in a while."

The Writing and Worldbuilding

The world really expanded in this one, and even gave me a clearer geographic idea of where the previous books took place. I'm guessing Tally's city is in Oregon or Washington, and that makes me happy because yay! A local!

I liked how the cliches of this series were actually questioned, like Tally's selfishness, and how she's constantly being caught and upgraded.

"I'm not sure what I am anymore, Zane. Sometimes I think I'm nothing but what other people have done to me—a big collection of brainwashing, surgeries, and cures."
Overall, I liked this book, but I wasn't really on the edge of my seat the whole time; I wasn't bored either though, as Westerfeld's writing style is very easy and quick, and the action was fast and well-paced.

The Characters

Tally: My sister warned me last book about Pretty Tally, but honestly Special Tally was more annoying, going on borderline-Speshul Tally.

Shay: I like how Shay continued to call out Tally on all her BS. It was really needed.

Zane and David: There really wasn't as much of a love triangle element in this as there was in the last book (I mean, technically there was, but it wasn't as obvious or important) and so these guys were pretty okay.

Conclusion

Honestly, writing this review, I feel like there's not much to say about this book. It was good, and I liked it more in some ways than the others, but I just don't have much to say for some reason. Any way, I'm glad that Westerfeld wrote Extras and is going to write three more books set in the Uglies world, starting with Imposters, because I really like the world and I'm excited to delve deeper into it, hopefully with less Speshul Tally and more new characters. ( )
  Faith_Murri | Jan 5, 2019 |
In comparison to how much I enjoyed [b:Uglies|24770|Uglies (Uglies, #1)|Scott Westerfeld|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1255574770s/24770.jpg|2895388] and [b:Pretties|4137|Me Talk Pretty One Day|David Sedaris|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1165389015s/4137.jpg|1030767] I didn't enjoy this book at all. I missed the Tally I'd come to know. At the end of the previous book she was changed against her will into a Special so I was prepared for how she'd act in this book, at least at the beginning, but I expected her to fight her way through it and become Tally again, and to my mind she didn't. We're told over and over how Tally fought the programming and how she refused to be changed again and was going to live out her life with her Special programming, and I think we were supposed to see that as a victory. But I read her refusal to have her Special programming removed as her giving up. I grieved for the Tally I knew, the one who managed to shine through whatever was done to her.

I still hate Shay. Every time Tally would think of Shay as a friend I would grit my teeth, knowing that it was the programming and that Shay had done so much to hurt Tally. I couldn't accept Shay, no matter what happened, not even at the end. ( )
  tldegray | Sep 21, 2018 |
I kinda started losing interest in the series a bit with this one. It just started stretching things a bit too much, especially considering it wasn't really my kind of series to start with (which says a lot about the fact I continued reading to this point). That said, I will be reading the next one shortly, and am glad that the announcement regarding the new books put these books back on my radar at a time that I was able to give them a real chance with access to the audiobooks and all, which I didn't have back when the series was first released. It's definitely still worth reading, and is an interesting continuation of the storyline. ( )
  TiffanyAK | Sep 16, 2018 |
Specials is part parable of life as an adolescent struggling to define your identity in a conformist world; part dark and unflinching look at the very real mental disorders that this impossible circumstance visits upon many young people.
added by lampbane | editBoing Boing, Cory Doctorow (May 8, 2006)

Scott Westerfeldprimary authorall editionscalculated
Montbertrand, CarineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Part I: Being Special

By plucking her petals you do

not gather the beauty of the flower.

- Rabindranath Tagore, "Stray Birds"
To all the fans who've written me about this series. Thanks for telling me what was right, what was wrong, and which bits made you throw the book across the room. (You know who you are.)
The six hoverboards slipped among the trees with the lightning grace of playing cards thrown flat and spinning.
Part II: Tracking Zane

When the people of the world all know beauty as beauty,

There arises the recognition of ugliness.

When they all know the good as good,

There arises the recognition of evil.

- Lao Tzu, The Tao Te Ching
Part III: Unmaking War

One faces the future with one's past.

- Pearl S. Buck

The words have sent chills down Tally's spine since her days as a repellent, rebellious ugly. Back then Specials were a sinister rumor -- frighteningly beautiful, dangerously strong, breathtakingly fast. Ordinary pretties might live their whole lives without meeting a Special. But Tally's never been ordinary.

FOR USE IN SCHOOLS AND LIBRARIES ONLY. When she is turned into a super-modelesque super-fighting machine, Tally, a former ugly, is ordered to keep the uglies down and the pretties stupid in a carefully engineered world of perfection where she refuses to play by the rules.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:27 -0400)

After being captured and surgically transformed into a "special," teenaged Tally Youngblood, now a government agent programmed to protect society from outside threats, is ordered to eliminate the rebel colony New Smoke, Tally's former home.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,763,569 books! | Top bar: Always visible