Specials (Uglies Trilogy) by Scott…

Specials (Uglies Trilogy) (edition 2007)

by Scott Westerfeld, Rodrigo Corral (Designer)

Series: Uglies (3)

Member:krao
Title:Specials (Uglies Trilogy)
Authors:Scott Westerfeld
Other authors:Rodrigo Corral (Designer)
Info:Simon Pulse (2007), Paperback, 400 pages
Collections:Young Adult Fiction, Fiction
Rating:**

Specials by Scott Westerfeld

English (164)  French (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (166)
3.5 stars

Better than Pretties, but not as good as Uglies. I didn't like how each book in the trilogy followed the exact same plot. And the ending to the love triangle seemed, flat.

I got my hopes up for this series and while it was enjoyable, I don't really understand the hype. ( )
  pdbkwm | Sep 8, 2014 |
As if the government hasn't messed with Tally enough, now they've made her into a Special. I liked how she fought back against the brainwashing in Pretties, but it turns out to be much harder for a special.

I liked the powers in Specials, but I didn't like Tally as much. (I especially didn't like her interactions with David and Zane and I wanted to see more with both of them.)

Again there were slow spots towards the middle, but the author didn't go into as much detail so they weren't as long.

It felt like everything happened too quickly at the end, but that was largely because of the point of view and the plot was wrapped up nicely. I wanted more at the end to find out what's next for Tally. (Like an epilogue.)

There’s an extra novel (ironically called Extras) that takes place after the trilogy, but it has different characters.

Uglies- 7 Stars

Pretties- 8 stars

Specials- 7 stars

mollymortensen | Aug 5, 2014 |
The completion of the series.

The book was OK...but I think I am ready for the end of it.

Scott Westerfeld is a great author, and I will read more by him. ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
The completion of the series.

The book was OK...but I think I am ready for the end of it.

Scott Westerfeld is a great author, and I will read more by him. ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
This book was a rather unsatisfying installment in the Uglies series. Things were just all over the places, events weren't described well, and some things just wrapped up all too neatly. Tally became more annoying, and by the end of the book I wasn't fond of any of the characters. ( )
  Stormydawnc | Jun 23, 2014 |
Specials is part parable of life as an adolescent struggling to define your identity in a conformist world; part dark and unflinching look at the very real mental disorders that this impossible circumstance visits upon many young people.
added by lampbane | editBoing Boing, Cory Doctorow (May 8, 2006)

Scott Westerfeldprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Montbertrand, CarineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Part I: Being Special

By plucking her petals you do

not gather the beauty of the flower.

- Rabindranath Tagore, "Stray Birds"
To all the fans who've written me about this series. Thanks for telling me what was right, what was wrong, and which bits made you throw the book across the room. (You know who you are.)
The six hoverboards slipped among the trees with the lightning grace of playing cards thrown flat and spinning.
Part II: Tracking Zane

When the people of the world all know beauty as beauty,

There arises the recognition of ugliness.

When they all know the good as good,

There arises the recognition of evil.

- Lao Tzu, The Tao Te Ching
Part III: Unmaking War

One faces the future with one's past.

- Pearl S. Buck

The words have sent chills down Tally's spine since her days as a repellent, rebellious ugly. Back then Specials were a sinister rumor -- frighteningly beautiful, dangerously strong, breathtakingly fast. Ordinary pretties might live their whole lives without meeting a Special. But Tally's never been ordinary.

FOR USE IN SCHOOLS AND LIBRARIES ONLY. When she is turned into a super-modelesque super-fighting machine, Tally, a former ugly, is ordered to keep the uglies down and the pretties stupid in a carefully engineered world of perfection where she refuses to play by the rules.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:38:43 -0400)

The words have sent chills down Tally's spine since her days as a repellent, rebellious Ugly. Back then Specials were a sinister rumor, frighteningly beautiful, dangerously strong, breathtakingly fast. Ordinary Pretties might live their whole lives without meeting a Special. But Tally's never been ordinary and now she's been turned into one of them. A superamped fighting machine, engineered to keep the Uglies down and the Pretties stupid. The strength, the speed, the clarity and focus of her thinking feels better than anything Tally can remember. Most of the time. One tiny corner of her heart still remembers something more. Still, it's easy to tune that out until Tally's offered a chance to stamp out the rebels of the New Smoke permanently. It all comes down to one last choice to listen to that tiny, faint heartbeat or carry out the mission she's programmed to complete. Either way, Tally's world will never be the same.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,984,153 books! | Top bar: Always visible