Specials (Uglies Trilogy) by Scott…

Specials (Uglies Trilogy) (edition 2007)

by Scott Westerfeld, Rodrigo Corral (Designer)

Series: Uglies (3)

Title:Specials (Uglies Trilogy)
Authors:Scott Westerfeld
Other authors:Rodrigo Corral (Designer)
Info:Simon Pulse (2007), Paperback, 400 pages
Collections:Young Adult Fiction, Fiction

Specials by Scott Westerfeld

English (173)  French (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (175)
Nicked this off my teenage daughter without reading uglies or pretties first. I quite enjoyed it, especially the whole concept of the world S W has created which I enjoyed more than the characters but then, I haven't seen Tally and Shay grow over the previous two books so I'm probably being unfair. I think SW handles the tension between characters well but I found the pacing a bit slow at times. Loved all the gadgets though. ( )
  garethmottram | Oct 27, 2015 |

At times I wasn't sure what side I was on, and it turns out, neither did Tally. I loved the ending--no book-throwing here. This has to be the only trilogy that just kept getting better and better. Highly recommended.

Great for discussing ethics & responsibility in this age of scientific progress. ( )
  engpunk77 | Aug 10, 2015 |
I have such mixed emotions about this book. It was originally supposed to be the final book in a trilogy, although there is now a fourth book in which Tally appears as a non-central character. So, even though this ended up not being the final book, it is really the final book in which Tally is forefront. Because of that, the ending felt a little unfinished for what was in essence the end of her story. But then again, those imperfect endings are a reality of life.

Tally was also a lot less likeable in this book. This is not because of a lack of character development, but rather the fact that her character has undergone some extreme changes within her story arc. Her character has changed so much across the course of the three books to date. In the first, she was an Ugly, full of humanity as we know it. In Pretties, she was changed into a Pretty and her personality changed with it. Even when things changed for her, her personality was never really as it had once been. And now, as a Special, she is nothing as she once was. Her humanity is almost entirely gone, more cyborg than human.

The plot was extremely action-packed and there were some fantastic twists and turns throughout the story. Like the other books, there was romance, but it wasn't the central focus of the plot. That is something that I generally appreciate, although even I hoped for a little more. But I suppose romance is difficult when one has virtually no humanity.

The one thing that drove me insane for most of the novels was some of the vernacular. Emotion words are changed a bit and the style was fairly annoying at first, until I realized the reasons for that linguistic twist. Emotions are expressed as "bubbly" or "happy-making" or "fear-making." Even among the Pretties, emotions are less inherent and more manufactured. There is a distance between the Pretties and truly feeling emotion and the language really supports that.

Despite my misgivings about the ending, it is still an engaging read. One of the things I love most about these novels is that the author doesn 't neatly tie everything up into happily ever afters. There might be happiness or resolutions, but they aren't complete. There is still failure, destruction, death, disappointment, and loss. Life never has a perfectly happy ending and the author isn't afraid of showing that. Bittersweet emotions are a fact of life.

My Recommendation: I love this series! I love that these books make you think about your own values and beliefs, about the world we live in. Such a great thing! I gave it 4.5 mugs! ( )
  Kiki870 | Aug 6, 2015 |
Tally is no longer a bubbly headed pretty, no, she is a special. quicker faster, meaner, sharper, better , that's what tally is. She loves her job and her group of the cutters. feeling icy is the best thing in the world. others feel that pretties need to be icy too, the others known as the smokies. the smokies are the outcasts , the rebels, they are a special circumstance. The smokies have gone too far this time trying to overthrow the government, making the pretties bubbly. They failed the first attempt at trying to catch them, losing one of there members in the process. they revert to other methods, using the pretties. Zane also known as Tallys ex-boyfriend. While trying to free Zane from his cell they end up blowing up one of the top government security buildings in the process. While the specials have the pretties leading them right to the new smoke tallys life is a breeze. until tallys city declares war on diego aka the new smoke. Tallys city is bombing Diego and she has to stop it. Guess what? she ends up stopping it (yay) and they live pretty happily ever after , except for the fact that Zane dies.

I have to be honest , I hated this book. The books only went downhill. The first amazing , second ehh, third terrible, I don't think I am even going to try with the 4th. Tallys character was pretty normal, she was an interesting character. I feel this would have been better if a little bit more unique -ity to it. But it was worthwhile reading but also not. make sense? ( )
  sierraF.B1 | May 29, 2015 |
Specials is part parable of life as an adolescent struggling to define your identity in a conformist world; part dark and unflinching look at the very real mental disorders that this impossible circumstance visits upon many young people.
added by lampbane | editBoing Boing, Cory Doctorow (May 8, 2006)

Scott Westerfeldprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Montbertrand, CarineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Part I: Being Special

By plucking her petals you do

not gather the beauty of the flower.

- Rabindranath Tagore, "Stray Birds"
To all the fans who've written me about this series. Thanks for telling me what was right, what was wrong, and which bits made you throw the book across the room. (You know who you are.)
The six hoverboards slipped among the trees with the lightning grace of playing cards thrown flat and spinning.
Part II: Tracking Zane

When the people of the world all know beauty as beauty,

There arises the recognition of ugliness.

When they all know the good as good,

There arises the recognition of evil.

- Lao Tzu, The Tao Te Ching
Part III: Unmaking War

One faces the future with one's past.

- Pearl S. Buck

The words have sent chills down Tally's spine since her days as a repellent, rebellious ugly. Back then Specials were a sinister rumor -- frighteningly beautiful, dangerously strong, breathtakingly fast. Ordinary pretties might live their whole lives without meeting a Special. But Tally's never been ordinary.

FOR USE IN SCHOOLS AND LIBRARIES ONLY. When she is turned into a super-modelesque super-fighting machine, Tally, a former ugly, is ordered to keep the uglies down and the pretties stupid in a carefully engineered world of perfection where she refuses to play by the rules.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:27 -0400)

The words have sent chills down Tally's spine since her days as a repellent, rebellious Ugly. Back then Specials were a sinister rumor, frighteningly beautiful, dangerously strong, breathtakingly fast. Ordinary Pretties might live their whole lives without meeting a Special. But Tally's never been ordinary and now she's been turned into one of them. A superamped fighting machine, engineered to keep the Uglies down and the Pretties stupid. The strength, the speed, the clarity and focus of her thinking feels better than anything Tally can remember. Most of the time. One tiny corner of her heart still remembers something more. Still, it's easy to tune that out until Tally's offered a chance to stamp out the rebels of the New Smoke permanently. It all comes down to one last choice to listen to that tiny, faint heartbeat or carry out the mission she's programmed to complete. Either way, Tally's world will never be the same.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,953,170 books! | Top bar: Always visible