Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac by Gabrielle…

Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac (edition 2007)

by Gabrielle Zevin

Title:Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac
Authors:Gabrielle Zevin
Info:Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR) (2007), Hardcover, 288 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Tags:read 2009, young adult, fiction, library

Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac by Gabrielle Zevin

English (102)  Dutch (1)  All languages (103)
I started out really liking Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac. The plot line, having an amnesiac main character, is not a new one, but it is always interesting to see how the author will reconcile the two halves (pre- and post-amnesia) of the character. Naomi's story takes place over a ten month period, starting with when she got amnesia. While there were engaging moments in the book, I felt the character development was lacking and also never really saw a change or growth in Naomi like I would have hoped. After making a few initial changes, Naomi's life seems stagnant. Even after her memory comes back, she doesn't veer much from the path she was on . The story seemed more centered around her romantic relationships than with anything else. I would think in a situation like this, having a boyfriend would take a back seat to the hoards of other issues. While her parents are present in the novel, her dad's parenting style is very laxed and I found that hard to believe, especially since she suffered from a medical trauma. Overall, an enjoyable read, but I didn't find much depth in it. ( )
  Kristymk18 | Nov 12, 2015 |
So I know I said the same thing when I was reading [b:Remember Me?|1358844|Remember Me?|Sophie Kinsella|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1276963901s/1358844.jpg|2855627] but it's true. How strange would it be to wake up and not know the last 4 years of your life. To not know how you became the person you are, who you are, why you are the way you are. It's totally creepy. Then I think would me from 4 years ago even like the me of today? ( )
  bookjunkie57 | Apr 17, 2015 |
I found a few things disturbing here, for instance how much Naomi's dad let her get away with, but mostly it was a very interesting story, with several characters who entranced me, and with some amazingly graceful & provocative metaphors:

"I thought about... making up with him, but.... Our fight didn't even have a scab yet, and in my mind he'd said worse things to me than I had to him."

I like the little things thrown in, like how one of Naomi's friends is a lesbian who is in love with another girl who is bi and has the attitude that "it's high school; I don't have to marry anyone." And how the bitchy girl is beautiful & popular, and messed-up, *and* probably strong enough straighten herself out before it's too late.

My only complaint, really, is that it was a bit too short. So many interesting side-stories and we see only glimpses of them. I don't like series, but I could see myself reading other books set in this same community, so we could read Brianna's story, and Ace's, and Chloe's.... ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
Another winner by Gabrielle Zevin. ( )
  nycke137 | Jul 29, 2014 |
For my editor, Janine O'Malley, on or about the occasion of her marriage.
Above all, mine is a love story.
If things had been different, I'd be called Nataliya or Natasha, and I'd have a Russian accent and chapped lips year round.

If Naomi had picked tails, she would have won the coin toss. She wouldn’t have had to go back for the yearbook camera, and she wouldn’t have hit her head on the steps. She wouldn’t have woken up in an ambulance with amnesia. She certainly would have remembered her boyfriend, Ace. She might even have remembered why she fell in love with him in the first place. She would understand why her best friend, Will, keeps calling her “Chief.” She’d know about her mom’s new family. She’d know about her dad’s fiancée. She never would have met James, the boy with the questionable past and the even fuzzier future, who tells her he once wanted to kiss her. She wouldn’t have wanted to kiss him back.
But Naomi picked heads.

After her remarkable debut, Gabrielle Zevin has crafted an imaginative second novel all about love and second chances.
Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac is a 2008 Bank Street - Best Children's Book of the Year.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:14 -0400)

After a nasty fall, Naomi realizes that she has no memory of the last four years and finds herself reassessing every aspect of her life.

Gabrielle Zevin is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,880,444 books! | Top bar: Always visible