Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac by Gabrielle…

Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac (edition 2007)

by Gabrielle Zevin

Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Rating:****1/2
Tags:read 2009, young adult, fiction, library

Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac by Gabrielle Zevin

English (106)  Dutch (1)  All languages (107)
I found a few things disturbing here, for instance how much Naomi's dad let her get away with, but mostly it was a very interesting story, with several characters who entranced me, and with some amazingly graceful & provocative metaphors:

I thought about... making up with him, but.... Our fight didn't even have a scab yet, and in my mind he'd said worse things to me than I had to him."

I like the little things thrown in, like how one of Naomi's friends is a lesbian who is in love with another girl who is bi and has the attitude that "it's high school; I don't have to marry anyone." And how the bitchy girl is beautiful & popular, and messed-up, *and* probably strong enough straighten herself out before it's too late.

My only complaint, really, is that it was a bit too short. So many interesting side-stories and we see only glimpses of them. I don't like series, but I could see myself reading other books set in this same community, so we could read Brianna's story, and Ace's, and Chloe's...." ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
audiobook, amnesia, high school, dating, tennis, yearbook, friends, friendship, mental illness, divorce, remarriage, anger, trust, lying, step-sister, starting over, memories, realistic fiction, young adult ( )
  SGKowalski | May 29, 2016 |
Naomi wakes up not knowing who she is or what happened to her. As she is rediscovering who she is and who her friends are, she begins to realize her old life no longer fits with what she likes now. On the path to finding out who she is she meets a guy and breaks up with her old boyfriend. Through her journey she learns who she truly likes and why. ( )
  Kay_Downing | Apr 28, 2016 |
I loved the book up until the ending. I don't know what I was expecting but it wasn't Naomi ending up with Will. I guess I secretly wanted her to end up with James and make him better but that's not what happened. But overall, this was a great book and I loved it. ( )
  danaaa_99 | Apr 6, 2016 |
This story of a teen losing her memory was a really interesting look at the choices we make in our friendships, families and activities. Thanks for the recommend Amy Roach! ( )
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
For my editor, Janine O'Malley, on or about the occasion of her marriage.
Above all, mine is a love story.
If things had been different, I'd be called Nataliya or Natasha, and I'd have a Russian accent and chapped lips year round.

If Naomi had picked tails, she would have won the coin toss. She wouldn’t have had to go back for the yearbook camera, and she wouldn’t have hit her head on the steps. She wouldn’t have woken up in an ambulance with amnesia. She certainly would have remembered her boyfriend, Ace. She might even have remembered why she fell in love with him in the first place. She would understand why her best friend, Will, keeps calling her “Chief.” She’d know about her mom’s new family. She’d know about her dad’s fiancée. She never would have met James, the boy with the questionable past and the even fuzzier future, who tells her he once wanted to kiss her. She wouldn’t have wanted to kiss him back.

But Naomi picked heads.

After her remarkable debut, Gabrielle Zevin has crafted an imaginative second novel all about love and second chances.

Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac is a 2008 Bank Street - Best Children's Book of the Year.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:14 -0400)

After a nasty fall, Naomi realizes that she has no memory of the last four years and finds herself reassessing every aspect of her life.

Gabrielle Zevin is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,863,294 books! | Top bar: Always visible