God Is Not Great : How Religion Poisons…

God Is Not Great : How Religion Poisons Everything (2007)

by Christopher Hitchens

2007 (26) 2008 (21) atheism (626) atheist (33) audio (22) audiobook (23) Christianity (43) Christopher Hitchens (20) ebook (32) faith (17) God (52) history (55) Hitchens (27) Islam (27) Judaism (20) Kindle (25) non-fiction (452) philosophy (216) polemic (21) politics (50) read (66) read in 2008 (16) religion (929) science (46) skepticism (69) sociology (24) spirituality (18) Theology (21) to-read (70) unread (19)

English (125)  Dutch (3)  Italian (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (130)
Hitchens is Dawkins like more mature, more eloquent brother. He writes very knowledgeably about religion, its shameful history and how it lessens believers and atheists alike. I'd recommend it to everyone; it is densely-packed and heavy-going and is probably worth rereading. ( )
  martensgirl | Apr 13, 2014 |
Mr Hitchens takes us on a deep-dive of the ill-effects of religion/god in all the sections of this book. I really enjoyed his argument style and it kept me going on-and-on.

Chapter 13: Does Religion Make People Behave Better
Chapter 16: Is Religion Child Abuse?
Chapter 19: In Conclusion: The Need for a New Enlightenment

are sections you don't want to miss.

Chapter 9: The Koran Is Borrowed from Both Jewish and Christian Myths was an eye-opener. The extent of research done by the author is evident in the pages of valuable information in the book.

"People are always free to make up a religion that suits or gratifies or flatters them." - how absolutely true!

Although I've rated this book as a 5-stars, I feel that Dr. Dawkins makes better 'hit right on the nail' kinda points! - The God Delusion ( )
  nmarun | Mar 11, 2014 |
I've been reading this book on the treadmill. It's really quite an interesting companion to The God Delusion, although at times his arguments seem based upon personal experience. At his best, he's dissecting the Bible and other religion books for the illogical time lines and such. ( )
  thebradking | Feb 22, 2014 |
This is a really well written piece, if you consider from the perspective of debunking Christianity, or probably even all the three desert religions (Judaism, Christianity and Islam). It does not seem to be as effective against the oriental religions or other ancient religions, since they are not touched upon much, except as a factor to state the similarities in the origin stories and such.

Also, there are a few flaws in his research based on what I know. One that comes to mind is the story of Krishna, who was the 8th child, and hence calling it virgin birth is not really appropriate now, is it? When you see one flaw in what you know about, it becomes tougher for you to trust the facts that you do not know about.

I have written about this in much detail here: http://nothingichose.blogspot.in/2014/01/my-review-of-god-is-not-great-by.html ( )
  jashjacob | Feb 20, 2014 |
I don't think this book needs a review. The title tells it all. Than I read the reviews below. And I was laughing my behind off. You have 5 stars reviews. And 4 stars reviews telling about the same story. Than you get to 3 to none. Oh god! Almost all have the faith Hitchens wrote the book for them alone and they disliked his gift. Jesus, god or allah! Yet, somehow, Hitch is the one pushing his "faith" ?!? to other people. Maybe their bibles and korans should read "and than god made you in his own liking" as the Sun apparently circles them. ( )
  siddartha | Feb 8, 2014 |
Observers of the Christopher Hitchens phenomenon have been expecting a book about religion from him around now. But this impressive and enjoyable attack on everything so many people hold dear is not the book we were expecting. . . He has written, with tremendous brio and great wit, but also with an underlying genuine anger, an all-out attack on all aspects of religion.

A positive review

Christopher Hitchensprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Witte, PaulTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound.
-Fulke Greville, Mustapha
And do you think that unto such as you
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew
God gave a secret, and denied it me?
Well, well - what matters it? Believe that, too!
-The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam
(Richard Le Gallienne translation)
Peacefully they will die, peacefully they will expire in your name, and beyond the grave they will find only death. But we will keep the secret, and for their own happiness we will entice them with a heavenly and eternal reward.
-The Grand Inquisitor to his "Savior" in
The Brothers Karamazov
For Ian McEwan
In serene recollection of
La Refulgencia
If the intended reader of this book should want to go beyond disagreement with its author and try to identify the sins and deformities that animated him to write it (and I have certainly noticed that those who publicly affirm charity and compassion and forgiveness are often inclined to take this course), then he or she will not just be quarreling with the unknowable and ineffable creator who - presumably - opted to make me this way.
The voice of Reason is soft. But it is very persistent.

In the tradition of Bertrand Russell's Why I Am Not a Christian and Sam Harris's recent bestseller, The End of Faith, Christopher Hitchens makes the ultimate case
against religion. With a close and erudite reading of the major religious texts, he documents the ways in which religion is a man-made wish, a cause of dangerous sexual repression, and a distortion of our origins in the cosmos. With eloquent clarity, Hitchens frames the argument for a more secular life based on science and
reason, in which hell is replaced by the Hubble Telescope's awesome view of the universe, and Moses and the burning bush give way to the beauty and symmetry
of the double helix.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:49:42 -0400)

"A case against religion and a description of the ways in which religion is man-made"--Provided by the publisher.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,541,806 books! | Top bar: Always visible