God Is Not Great : How Religion Poisons…

God Is Not Great : How Religion Poisons Everything (2007)

by Christopher Hitchens

2007 (26) 2008 (21) atheism (628) atheist (33) audio (22) audiobook (22) Christianity (44) Christopher Hitchens (20) ebook (33) faith (17) God (52) history (55) Hitchens (28) Islam (28) Judaism (20) Kindle (25) non-fiction (461) philosophy (220) polemic (21) politics (50) read (67) read in 2008 (16) religion (935) science (47) skepticism (70) sociology (23) spirituality (18) Theology (21) to-read (82) unread (19)

English (129)  Dutch (3)  Italian (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (134)
Hitchens is smart and witty--and he is taking on one of the most controversial issues: Religion.

Hitchen's point is simple: religion is bad, it makes people do bad things. There are people who do good things in the name of religion, but he also asks: What great thing could a person do that he could not do without religion? (Is religion needed to make humans good? Hitchens would say, judging by all of the terrible things that people have done in the name of religion...no.)

This was a fascinating (and pretty quick) read. While reading this book I thought to myself, "I wish I could teach my students to write like this." Every sentence and every word is carefully chosen to support his anti-religious point of view. He writes this book very well.

Whether or not you believe in what he is saying, this is a great book to learn the power of effective arguments! ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |

csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
It’s difficult to imagine a more comprehensive, erudite, focused, and—yes—entertaining analysis of all the reasons why religion is ultimately useless and dangerous. Hitchens’ deconstruction of religion is founded upon sharp analysis of history, psychology, philosophy, and other forms of intellectual thought, and it’s nearly impossible to argue with his conclusions, the most compelling of which is the idea that religion is a vestige from the infancy of humanity and to persist in valuing it is to maintain an infantile devotion to simplicity and ignorance. I doubt that Hitchens’ book will make atheists of ardent believers, but he, along with Richard Dawkins and Sam Harris, speaks articulately to those of us who are confident enough to admit our disbelief. ( )
  jimrgill | Jun 17, 2014 |
My Art Professor son bought me several of this author's books as a gift and I have grown to respect and appreciate the wit and scholarship of "Hitch". His prose is sometimes stretching but he makes his points with an eventual clarity that is often surprising and good ... stimulating further thought.

His does not fall into the trap of ranting at religion and shows respect if not for 'the industry' then at least for the sincere believers. As a near life-long disbeliever I, of course, agree with his point of view and conclusions and am envious of the style, research and history, reason and wit with which he forms his argument.

An excellent read, unlikely to change anything of course, but we continue - at least for now - to evolve.

I was particularly impressed that this edition has a book-blurb rave from the Vatican's Preacher!
2 vote John_Vaughan | May 9, 2014 |
Hitchens is Dawkins like more mature, more eloquent brother. He writes very knowledgeably about religion, its shameful history and how it lessens believers and atheists alike. I'd recommend it to everyone; it is densely-packed and heavy-going and is probably worth rereading. ( )
  martensgirl | Apr 13, 2014 |
Observers of the Christopher Hitchens phenomenon have been expecting a book about religion from him around now. But this impressive and enjoyable attack on everything so many people hold dear is not the book we were expecting. . . He has written, with tremendous brio and great wit, but also with an underlying genuine anger, an all-out attack on all aspects of religion.

A positive review

Christopher Hitchensprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Witte, PaulTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound.
-Fulke Greville, Mustapha
And do you think that unto such as you
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew
God gave a secret, and denied it me?
Well, well - what matters it? Believe that, too!
-The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam
(Richard Le Gallienne translation)
Peacefully they will die, peacefully they will expire in your name, and beyond the grave they will find only death. But we will keep the secret, and for their own happiness we will entice them with a heavenly and eternal reward.
-The Grand Inquisitor to his "Savior" in
The Brothers Karamazov
For Ian McEwan
In serene recollection of
La Refulgencia
If the intended reader of this book should want to go beyond disagreement with its author and try to identify the sins and deformities that animated him to write it (and I have certainly noticed that those who publicly affirm charity and compassion and forgiveness are often inclined to take this course), then he or she will not just be quarreling with the unknowable and ineffable creator who - presumably - opted to make me this way.
The voice of Reason is soft. But it is very persistent.

In the tradition of Bertrand Russell's Why I Am Not a Christian and Sam Harris's recent bestseller, The End of Faith, Christopher Hitchens makes the ultimate case
against religion. With a close and erudite reading of the major religious texts, he documents the ways in which religion is a man-made wish, a cause of dangerous sexual repression, and a distortion of our origins in the cosmos. With eloquent clarity, Hitchens frames the argument for a more secular life based on science and
reason, in which hell is replaced by the Hubble Telescope's awesome view of the universe, and Moses and the burning bush give way to the beauty and symmetry
of the double helix.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:49:42 -0400)

"A case against religion and a description of the ways in which religion is man-made"--Provided by the publisher.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,473,419 books! | Top bar: Always visible