God is not Great by Christopher Hitchens

God is not Great (original 2007; edition 2008)

by Christopher Hitchens

Member:marfec2012
Title:God is not Great
Authors:Christopher Hitchens
Info:Hachette Book Group USA (2008), Edition: International Edition, Mass Market Paperback, 400 pages
Collections:Read Non-Fiction
Tags:Religion

God Is Not Great : How Religion Poisons Everything by Christopher Hitchens (2007)

English (141)  Dutch (3)  Italian (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (146)
Worth rereading
  FredKinley | Apr 9, 2016 |
If you love Hitch, don't miss his latest withering take on religious belief and its institutions. As criticism goes, God Is Not Great is scathing and unforgiving. But since it's Christopher Hitchens we're talking about here, it's all in a day's work for him. ( )
  Daniel.Estes | Feb 29, 2016 |
Wonderful book. Hitchens seems to achieve the same in his writing that Chomsky does in his political books - the weight of facts and research are laid out and it is up to the reader to decide whether their beliefs are vindicated or need moderation, the author (on the whole) does not get in the way. Admittedly Hitchens is a little more aggressive than Chomsky, but only a little and he can be forgiven his few moments of anger for having produced a wide-ranging and exceptionally well-researched book. I only wish I could remember half of these clinical dissections when discussing religion with others but, alas, my brain is not Hitchens-like, (mores the pity). ( )
  MartynChuzz | Feb 22, 2016 |
Sharp, witty and extremely well-thought out arguments against the institution of religion, belief and faith. ( )
  rosielibrarian | Feb 19, 2016 |
I have the audio version of this as well (because Christopher Hitchens lends his own voice to it, and why wouldn't he?), and it's my favorite book of its kind. It delves into specific religions, especially the ones more familiar to Western readers, but also to the idea of religion in and of itself. As always, I learned something from it that I hadn't before. If anything, it helped me understand myself as a person and my own beliefs. ( )
  Michael_Rose | Jan 10, 2016 |
Observers of the Christopher Hitchens phenomenon have been expecting a book about religion from him around now. But this impressive and enjoyable attack on everything so many people hold dear is not the book we were expecting. . . He has written, with tremendous brio and great wit, but also with an underlying genuine anger, an all-out attack on all aspects of religion.

A positive review

Christopher Hitchensprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
de Vicq, Fearn CutlerDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Witte, PaulTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound.
-Fulke Greville, Mustapha
And do you think that unto such as you
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew
God gave a secret, and denied it me?
Well, well - what matters it? Believe that, too!
-The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam
(Richard Le Gallienne translation)
Peacefully they will die, peacefully they will expire in your name, and beyond the grave they will find only death. But we will keep the secret, and for their own happiness we will entice them with a heavenly and eternal reward.
-The Grand Inquisitor to his "Savior" in
The Brothers Karamazov
For Ian McEwan
In serene recollection of
La Refulgencia
If the intended reader of this book should want to go beyond disagreement with its author and try to identify the sins and deformities that animated him to write it (and I have certainly noticed that those who publicly affirm charity and compassion and forgiveness are often inclined to take this course), then he or she will not just be quarreling with the unknowable and ineffable creator who - presumably - opted to make me this way.
The voice of Reason is soft. But it is very persistent.
And here is the point, about myself and my co-thinkers. Our belief is not a belief. Our principles are not a faith. We do not rely solely upon science and reason, because these are necessary rather than sufficient factors, but we distrust anthing that contradicts science or outrages reason. ("Putting it Mildly")

In the tradition of Bertrand Russell's Why I Am Not a Christian and Sam Harris's recent bestseller, The End of Faith, Christopher Hitchens makes the ultimate case
against religion. With a close and erudite reading of the major religious texts, he documents the ways in which religion is a man-made wish, a cause of dangerous sexual repression, and a distortion of our origins in the cosmos. With eloquent clarity, Hitchens frames the argument for a more secular life based on science and
reason, in which hell is replaced by the Hubble Telescope's awesome view of the universe, and Moses and the burning bush give way to the beauty and symmetry
of the double helix.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:04 -0400)

"A case against religion and a description of the ways in which religion is man-made"--Provided by the publisher.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,249,854 books! | Top bar: Always visible