Don't Sweat the Small Stuff . . . and It's…

Don't Sweat the Small Stuff . . . and It's All Small Stuff: Simple Ways to… (original 1997; edition 1997)

by Richard Carlson (Author)

Member:FMWLibrary
Title:Don't Sweat the Small Stuff . . . and It's All Small Stuff: Simple Ways to Keep the Little Things from Taking Over Your Life (Don't Sweat the Small Stuff Series)
Authors:Richard Carlson (Author)
Info:Hachette Books (1996), Edition: 1, 272 pages

Don't Sweat the Small Stuff--And It's All Small Stuff by Richard Carlson (1997)

This is a book I've been hearing about and wanting to read for several years now, but I found it rather disappointing. The advice given in the book is nearly all advice I've heard before, and it almost all seems directed at the majority (say 80 percent) of people who do not seem to take proactive measures to direct their own lives. So this makes a fairly decent first read if one is starting to work on basic issues in one's life, but for more advanced problems, this book is a 'skim it quickly' book at best. Still, he did make some interesting quips. ( )
  ShiraDest | Mar 6, 2019 |
Dr. Carlson has all the best intentions in this fluff filled little book suggesting to people how to live a stress free, happy life. Unfortunately, Carlson often doubles up on his advice and offers up some really strange strategies that often conflict with his own sage advice.

There are 100 little one and two page strategies to improve your life. The title comes from some advice Carlson was once given, that many little things in our lives are blown up into huge things. However, Carlson gives the exact same length to topics like being nice to others as he does to the joys of taking care of a house plant. It often is not enough. In one strategy, he will suggest listening to another's problems and letting them vent, and then suggest not trying to solve everyone's problems. We should spend all of our free time with those we love, but keep time out for yourself. Cut back on your activities and reflect, yet get involved with charity and service and give something back. Carlson will often repeat topics as well, mentioning the same Mother Teresa quote twice. One of his strategies calls on the reader to write heartfelt letters telling others how much you love them. If I received a letter like this from someone I have not had much contact with lately, I would be more worried about whether that person was saying goodbye to this cruel world than anything else.

I have seen Carlson on TV talk shows, and he comes off as very knowledgeable and sincere, but after many dozen one and two pages strategies your eyes will finally glaze over as the helpful sap gets a little deep.

Don't sweat the small stuff, and this book is just that. I cannot recommend "Don't Sweat the Small Stuff and it's all small stuff." (* *) out of five stars. ( )
  Charles_Tatum | Jan 5, 2019 |
The content does not match the title at all. other than the first chapter which focus on. on not sweating the small stuff, the rest of them are normal advices found in many books like be a better listener or be grateful.

The writing isn't very focused. The author mentioned lots of short tips but the author never mentioned what don't sweating the small stuff means. neither did he link his tips to small stuff ( )
  Jason.Ong.Wicky | Oct 9, 2018 |
Stories that reveal ways to calm down in the mist of our incredibly hurried, stress-filled life.
  SABC | Jan 2, 2017 |
Like so many books for self-help, there's a huge disconnect between the ease of stating the philosophy, and the ease of implementing it. Besides the huge disconnect between the imagined problem being solved and the real problems most people face. ( )
  Kaethe | Oct 16, 2016 |
I dedicate this book to my daughters, Jazzy and Kenna, who remind me every day how important it is to remember not to "sweat the small stuff." I love you both so much, Thank you for being just the way you are.
Whenever we're dealing with bad news, a difficult person, or a disappointment of some kind, most of us get into certain habits, ways of reacting to life--particularly adversity--that don't server us very well.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 073380084X, Mass Market Paperback)

Got a stress case in your life? Of course you do: "Without question, many of us have mastered the neurotic art of spending much of our lives worrying about a variety of things all at once." Carlson's cheerful book aims to make us stop and smell--if not roses--whatever is sitting in front of our noses. Don't Sweat the Small Stuff... offers 100 meditations designed to make you appreciate being alive, keep your emotions (especially anger and dissatisfaction) in proper perspective, and cherish other people as the unique miracles they are. It's an owner's manual of the heart, and if you follow the directions, you will be a happier, more harmonious person. Like Stairmasters, oat bran, and other things that are good for you, the meditations take discipline. Even so, some of the strategies are kind of fun: "Imagine the people in your life as tiny infants and as 100-year-old adults." The trouble is, once you start, it's hard to stop.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:55 -0400)

From the co-author of the bestselling Handbook of the Soul comes a collection of short essays on attaining peace of mind by learning to let go of small aggravations.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,087,559 books! | Top bar: Always visible