Don't Sweat the Small Stuff--and…

Don't Sweat the Small Stuff--and it's all small stuff… (original 1997; edition 1997)

by Richard Carlson

2,735None2,146 (3.52)26
Member:junkbottom
Title:Don't Sweat the Small Stuff--and it's all small stuff (Don't Sweat the Small Stuff Series)
Authors:Richard Carlson
Info:Hyperion (1997), Edition: 1, Paperback, 272 pages
Rating:**

Don't Sweat the Small Stuff by Richard Carlson (1997)

Good ideas in quick-read format. ( )
  wareagle78 | Feb 19, 2014 |
Don't worry, Be HAPPY.
  JCBest | Feb 6, 2014 |
Don't worry, Be HAPPY.
  JCBest | Feb 6, 2014 |
This little book of 100 daily "tips" and advice for living better is certainly useful and would be of help to some. However, I personally find these "do this, do that" kind of books to be of little use in the long run as long-term habits and tendencies override these little tips that people attempt to implement. For a longer-lasting solution to better living, I would recommend taking up a serious spiritual practice such as Mindfulness, Yoga, Meditation, and other well documented paths of attainment etc. ( )
  dean_p | Aug 29, 2013 |
Bought this years ago when it was first all the rage. I don't usually jump on bandwagons like this, but I was at a crossroads in my life and spending a lot of time in Books-A-Million, where the books were on display. It helped me rectify some things in my own mind.

Recently, I've been at another crossroads and have turned to several other books for some clarification, so I decided to give this another read-through. I'm glad I did.

I forgot how much insight there is within the pages of this text. Using advice and philosophies from multiple sources, Carlson delivers a series of a hundred truisms that everyone should consider at least once in their lives. He doesn't lay anything on heavy-handed, and there is no religious connotation to the advice (in fact, there is a strong Eastern philosophical leaning to many of the statements). Excellent recommendations about living your life, some that I picked up and still follow since my first read, some that I've forgotten and plan to try incorporating now.

Hard not to recommend this one to anyone looking to find changes to help them live a better life. ( )
  regularguy5mb | Jun 17, 2013 |
I dedicate this book to my daughters, Jazzy and Kenna, who remind me every day how important it is to remember not to "sweat the small stuff." I love you both so much, Thank you for being just the way you are.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 073380084X, Mass Market Paperback)

Got a stress case in your life? Of course you do: "Without question, many of us have mastered the neurotic art of spending much of our lives worrying about a variety of things all at once." Carlson's cheerful book aims to make us stop and smell--if not roses--whatever is sitting in front of our noses. Don't Sweat the Small Stuff... offers 100 meditations designed to make you appreciate being alive, keep your emotions (especially anger and dissatisfaction) in proper perspective, and cherish other people as the unique miracles they are. It's an owner's manual of the heart, and if you follow the directions, you will be a happier, more harmonious person. Like Stairmasters, oat bran, and other things that are good for you, the meditations take discipline. Even so, some of the strategies are kind of fun: "Imagine the people in your life as tiny infants and as 100-year-old adults." The trouble is, once you start, it's hard to stop.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:20:16 -0400)

Reveals ways to calm down in the midst of your incredibly hurried, stress-filled life. Learn to put things in perspective by making the small daily changes he suggests.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,445,882 books! | Top bar: Always visible