The Chocolate Lovers' Club by Carole…

The Chocolate Lovers' Club (original 2007; edition 2007)

by Carole Matthews

Member:marymmartin
Title:The Chocolate Lovers' Club
Authors:Carole Matthews
Info:Headline Review (2007), Paperback, 448 pages
Tags:2013

The Chocolate Lovers' Club by Carole Matthews (2007)

I was disappointed. I loved the premise: a group of women who get together to share their lives and love of chocolate, in a store called, "Chocolate Heaven." I'd love to be able to visit a place like that--sort of a Starbucks type chocolaterie. There were bits and pieces of the story that I enjoyed. The friendship and support between the women was great. I loved the scene when the girls get their revenge on the creep who stole Chantal's jewelry. Awesome revenge sequence!

But, I don't know how I can even admit this next part: there was too much talk of chocolate. It was unrealistic, and yes, I know, it's a novel so it can be unrealistic. But, there is no way that you can eat as much chocolate as these women do and still be fit and thin, even with occasional yoga classes.

There were several s*x scenes, and that several more than I needed. There is also fairly liberal use of the "F" word, which I don't need either. Honestly, I can't recommend it. ( )
  2kidsandtired | Aug 2, 2016 |

2kidsandtired | Aug 2, 2016 |
excellent book about four friends--all chocoholics--who meet up regularly to gorge on gourmet choc--special meetings for choc emergencies. expands upon their lives--all going through major relationship issues. 2 single and 2 married. author is English. first read by her. ( )
  lhaines56 | Feb 7, 2015 |
Imagine if someone told you they were going to give you a beautiful, ribbon-tied box of Godiva chocolates (or better, handmade, fresh cream-filled Mozarts flown over from Vienna that day), you'd be really looking forward to that. Imagine then if with a bright smile, they gave you a family-size bag of Hershey's Assorted Miniatures instead. There would definitely be some disappointment there, eh?

And so there is in this book. It's not Godiva, not even Lindt, it's a collection of stories, Snickers, M&Ms, Mr. Goodbar and a Watchamacallit.

Disappointing. ( )
  Petra.Xs | Apr 2, 2013 |
I really wanted to like this novel. Who doesn't like the idea of chocolate. In reality, as should be, the chocolate wasn't the star of the novel. The story centered around the lives of four women, and the complicated relationships they had with their husbands, boyfriends, or family.

The two married women had seriously flawed relationships with their husbands. I think that these were realistic situations, but overblown in the case of the couple not having sex, which drove the wife to illicit sexual encounters. The one single woman was mainly dealing with a brother on drugs, and the main female protagonist of the story had a flaky, cheating boyfriend and trouble holding down a job.

In all, the story was engaging. Please understand when I say that I was totally engaged in the story; however, I did wish that I could have just dealt with the main character, for instance, rather than bouncing from character to character. I realize this is a popular technique right now, but I really wanted to understand more about each individual story. With a bit more understanding, I might have not felt that it was being overdramatic. In the end, I started to feel like I was reading a soap opera on paper. The elements were there for an amazing story, but maybe just needed a bit more depth added to certain individuals so that you could relate to them more? ( )
  mjmbecky | Nov 16, 2009 |
"Noch eine Portion, bitte", sagte ich.

Forget diamonds, chocolate is a girl’s best friend

Some women are addicted to shopping, others can’t get enough of champagne.
Some like to curl up with a good book, and others want a night out on the town.
But there’s just one thing Lucy Lombard can’t live without, and that’s chocolate—rich, creamy, sweet, delicious chocolate.
     For her there’s no substitute. There’s nothing it won’t cure, from heartache to a headache, and she’s not alone. Sharing her passion are her three best friends and fellow addicts: sweet, peace-loving Autumn, harried mom Nadia, and sex kitten Chantal. Together they form a select group known as the Chocolate Lovers’ Club. Whenever there’s a crisis, they meet in their sanctuary, a café called Chocolate Heaven, and with a cheating boyfriend who promises he’ll change, a flirtatious boss, a gambling husband, and a loveless marriage, there’s always plenty to discuss….
     By turns hilarious and heartrending, The Chocolate Lovers’ Club brings together four unforgettable women from totally different worlds united in their passion for chocolate.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:52 -0400)

Four unforgettable women from totally different worlds form a select group known as the Chocolate Lovers' Club. Whenever there's a crisis, they meet in their sanctuary, a café called Chocolate Heaven, and with a cheating boyfriend who promises he'll change, a flirtatious boss, a gambling husband, and a loveless marriage, there's always plenty to discuss.--From publisher description.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,350,092 books! | Top bar: Always visible