Lion in the Valley by Elizabeth Peters

Lion in the Valley (1986)

by Elizabeth Peters

English (37)  Czech (1)  French (1)  All languages (39)
Amelia, Emerson and their 8yr. old son Ramses have returned to Egypt for another dig. During a failed kidnapping attempt of Ramses, Amelia and Emerson connect with a young man down on his luck as well as a young woman who is searching for a lost love. The "master Criminal" is suspected by Amelia and so she sets out to thwart his evil plans.

The plot lacked a lot for me so I am debating whether I will continue this series or not. ( )
  cyderry | Dec 24, 2018 |
Amelia, Emerson and their son are on an expedition when their son is kidnapped and saved by a suspicious robed man. Their son, 8 yr old Rames was constantly getting himself into trouble and the expedition was spent protecting him, listening to him talk constantly and match-making between a runaway woman and the robed man. ( )
  Kathy89 | Sep 8, 2018 |
I read it, I enjoyed it, it made no sense. I'll happily read the next, when I can get my hands on the audio. I enjoyed the little details, the tourists constantly showing up and interfering with the excavations. ( )
  themulhern | Aug 4, 2018 |
I really liked this story for one because it was set in Egypt and the exotic locale always makes the plot line just that much better to me. I really enjoyed the twist at the end involving the "Master Criminal." Peters makes all of her characters really likeable and I even like the Master Criminal now. lol He is unique in his own way. So anyways, I was kind of dissapointed to learn that the next book is set in England but I'm sure I'll like it too. I guess I can't have every story set in Egypt. : ) ( )
  EmpressReece | Aug 22, 2016 |
3.5 stars rounded to 3

Peabody, Emerson and the ever precocious Ramses are back in Egypt, set to work in Dashoor. But before they leave Cairo, a man has been found stabbed to death lying on the bed of an unmarried woman's room, a no-no in nineteenth century, but she has disappeared. Naturally Peabody and Emerson (that's Amelia and her husband, Radcliffe, who call each other by surnames, and he sticks to her maiden name) realize the lady is innocent.

And we're off on a rollicking mystery adventure where Ramses gives his polysyllabic speeches and disappears whenever possible, young lovers appear, danger lurks and the mysterious Master Criminal is somehow behind most of the trouble. The second half of the book was much more fun than was the first half (3 stars for the first half, barely, 4 for the second half, so therefore the 3.5 stars rounded down rather than up.) While some things are fairly predictable, there are a few fun surprises. ( )
  Karin7 | Jan 20, 2016 |
Für Dr. Ann King, besser bekannt als meine Freundin Penny, in Liebe und Dankbarkeit
"My dear Peabody," said Emerson, "pray correct me if I am mistaken; but I sense a diminution of that restless ardor for living that is so noted a characteristic of yours, particularly upon occasions such as this. Since that happy day that saw us united, never a cloud has dimmed the orb of matrimonial bliss; and that remarkable circumstance derives, I am certain, from the perfect communion that marks our union. Confide, I implore, in the fortunate man whose designated role is to support and shelter you, and whose greatest happiness is to share your own."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0380731193, Mass Market Paperback)

The 1895-96 season promises to be an exceptional one for Amelia Peabody, her dashing Egyptologist husband Emerson, and their wild and precocious eight-year-old son Ramses. The much-coveted burial chamber of the Black Pyramid in Dahshoor is theirs for the digging. But there is a great evil in the wind that roils the hot sands sweeping through the bustling streets and marketplace of Cairo. The brazen moonlight abduction of Ramses--and an expedition subsequently cursed by misfortune and death--have alerted Amelia to the likly presence of her arch nemesis the Master Criminal, notorious looter of the living and the dead. But it is far more than ill-gotten riches that motivates the evil genius this time around. For now the most valuable and elusive prized of all is nearly in his grasp: the meddling lady archaeologist who has sworn to deliver him to justice . . . Amelia Peabody!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:59 -0400)

Amelia Peabody, the intrepid Egyptologist, returns to the Nile with her sexy archaeologist husband Emerson and their entourage to track down a master criminal wreaking havoc among the excavations.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,453,266 books! | Top bar: Always visible