Lord of Scoundrels by Loretta Chase

Lord of Scoundrels (edition 1995)

by Loretta Chase

Info:Avon (1995), Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Collections:Kindle books
Tags:Paris, collecting, Kindle

Lord of Scoundrels by Loretta Chase

English (68)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (69)
Summary
Sebastian Ballister, the Marquess of Dain is feared by many, his reputation and manners has made it possible for Sebastian to build a certain Lord Of Scoundrelsrelationship with certain types of people, none of which include anything respectable. He is more than content with his life currently and doesn't need change, until a certain bluestocking of respectability, Jessica Trent walks into his shops and his whole world shifts into more than he ever imagined. Jessica Trent, has had to be the driving force to keep her brother from too much trouble. Even though she is considered a "spinster" Jessica is more than happy with her current status, recovering artifacts and selling them. But she has a new nemesis, the Marquess of Dain, who is formidable and tempting all at once. But she isn't afraid of a fight or standing up to this man whom everyone else seems to fear. But all she sees is a man who is strong and beyond handsome and strikes a chord within her.
The Hero
Sebastian Ballister, may be able to strike fear and intimidation into many, but his reputation wasn't easy and he had to fight his own battles since he was eight years old to become the man he is today. His mother ran off when he was only a boy, and Sebastian had to deal with the fallout with his father which wasn't easy. He had to fight his way up, earning respect as he went. He now lives the way he wants, with no remorse especially when it comes to the fairer sex. Sebastian is a hero that just makes you sigh...he is a bit alpha---okay he is very alpha, but is one of the best alpha heroes I have ever seen written. He is compelling, powerful and very sensual.
The Heroine
Jessica Trent is a character that is determined, smart and sassy. I loved her so very much and she really resonated through the whole story. Jessica has had to be the responsible one in the family, since her brother gambles, drinks and spends far too much time in Sebastian Ballister's company. Jessica is going to fight for not only herself and family, but her brothers life. She sees him going down hill, and needs to put a stop to it. I really adored Jessica, she has the balls to stand up to Sebastian, where no one ever does. I loved her inner strength and how true she is to what she believes in.
Plot and Story Line
Lord Of Scoundrels is a book I have been wanting to re read for the LONGEST time!!! I think I read this the first couple years after I got hooked on romance, which was over ten years ago. When I saw this for $1 at my local library's store, I grabbed it right up. Because first off, this is one of the best historical romances any romance lover could have in her collection. Its such a good book to have on the shelf and such a pretty cover too!! What was most wonderful about reading this book again, was connecting with this couple. I had forgotten how much I had fallen in love with them. The story sets off with Jessica coming out to save her brother (who doesn't want to be saved) She is the practical and smart one of the family. She is a bit of a steam roller though, and I loved seeing how it sets the perfect tone for the beginning...right from the start. She is a firecracker and isn't afraid of calling Sebastian out on his bluffs. She does some shocking things and I had fun with her character so very much. Now the first meeting between Jessica and Sebastian is just priceless. And wow...these two have chemistry for sure---its very different from most books I have read. Loretta Chase did wonders with this book and I had such a blast seeing these two frazzle, fight and become comfortable with each other. Its not a easy process, but the build up of it is perfection!! There are some misunderstandings, mostly due to miscommunication but its resolved quickly and not dragged out which is a relief. We see how their relationship is proved though in different ways, but the ending is what really wraps up the books so wonderfully. They come across a challenge, a past history of Sebastian, that only strengthens their bond to each other and I LOVED seeing this aspect of their relationship grow into something even more.
The Cover
I really love what Avon did with this cover. I am a sucker for the old cover...but this one is so romantically pretty!! I love the mix of blue and pink with the roses.
Overall View
Lord Of Scoundrels is a book to fall in love with time and again....outrageous, classically romantic and sensual enough to curl your toes!! ( )
  addictofromance | Mar 20, 2019 |
I was hooked on HR for a very long time - this is my top book
  Savehouse | Sep 24, 2018 |
The drama between the couple in this book was pretty engaging. It broke from the general formula for regency romances a bit. I liked the heroine, Jessica, quite a bit, and Dain is a great tortured hero. It felt like it dragged a bit at the end, but I liked it well enough. I'm adding more of Loretta Chase's books to my to-read list. (3 stars) ( )
  PNRList | Aug 15, 2018 |
This doesn't need an intro, but I'll give it one anyway. You haven't read good romance, or I'd even go so far as to say, good genre fiction, until you've read this. When I was done, I wished I could read it for the first time again. It really is that good. ( )
  RachelNR | Jul 29, 2018 |

Tóth Gizella,Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thanks to: Sal Raciti, for the choice Italian phrases;
Carol Proko Easton, for the loan of her splendid books
on Russian icons; Cynthia Drelinger, for computer
processing my pencil hieroglyphics; and my husband,
Walter, and our friend, Owen Halpern, for an
unforgettable journey through England’s beautiful west
country.
In the spring of 1792, Dominick Edward Guy de Ath
Ballister, third Marquess of Dain, Earl of Blackmoor,
Viscount Launcells, Baron Ballister and Launcells, lost his
wife and four children to typhus.

They call him many names, but Angelic isn't one of them . . .

Sebastian Ballister, the notorious Marquess of Dain, is big, bad, and dangerous to know. No respectable woman would have anything to do with the "Bane and Blight of the Ballisters"—and he wants nothing to do with respectable women. He's determined to continue doing what he does best—sin and sin again—and all that's going swimmingly, thank you . . . until the day a shop door opens and she walks in.

She's too intelligent to fall for the worst man in the world . . .

Jessica Trent is a determined young woman, and she's going to drag her imbecile brother off the road to ruin, no matter what it takes. If saving him—and with him, her family and future—means taking on the devil himself, she won't back down. The trouble is, the devil in question is so shockingly irresistible, and the person who needs the most saving is—herself!

Annotation

To rescue her foolish brother from financial ruin at the hands of an unscrupulous nobleman, Jessica Trent journeys to Paris and confronts Sebastian Ballister, the crafty nobleman. But he creates a scandal when he kisses her at a party. Thus begins the fiery relationship between the callow rake and the strong-willed beauty. Original.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0380776162, Mass Market Paperback)

Tough minded Jessica Trent's sole intention is to free her nitwit brother from the destructive influence of Sebastian Ballister, the notorious Marquess of Diain. She never expects to desire the arrogant, amoral cad. And When Daine's reciprocal passion places them in a scandalously compromising, and public, position, Jessica is left with no choice but to seek satisfaction... Damn the minx for tempting him, kissing him...and then for forcing him to salvage reputation! Lord Dain can't wait to put the infuriating bluestocking in her place -- and in some amorous position. And if this means marriage, so be it -- though Sebastian is less than certain he can continue to remain aloof...and steal his heart to the sensuous, head strong lady's considerable charms.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:29 -0400)

Realizing her attraction to the Marquess of Dain despite her opinion that he is an amoral cad, tough-minded Jessica Trent is scandalized when they are seen in a compromising position, and she vows to make him preserve her reputation.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,418,547 books! | Top bar: Always visible