Der Todeskünstler by Cody McFadyen

Der Todeskünstler (original 2007; edition 2010)

by Cody McFadyen, Cody McFadyen (Author), Franziska Pigulla (Sprecher)

Member:CrazyTabasco
Title:Der Todeskünstler
Authors:Cody McFadyen
Other authors:Cody McFadyen (Author), Franziska Pigulla (Sprecher)
Info:Lübbe Audio (2010), Edition: 1. Auflage, Audio CD

The Face of Death by Cody McFadyen (2007)

English (12)  German (2)  Swedish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (16)
Very intense mystery. Enjoyed this author immensely. ( )
  add_dragon | Mar 26, 2016 |
Cody McFadyen did another good job of creating an awesome psychological thriller. Smoky Barrett and her team have her hands full trying to figure out who "the Stranger" is and why he has picked Sarah Langstrom for a life time of terror calling his project "The Ruined Life".

Diane ( )
  Diane_K | Jul 14, 2015 |
After reading Cody McFadyen’s first book Shadowman I went directly into his second book The Face of Death the next night. I was excited to have found a new series with a reoccurring cast of characters that were interesting. I went into the book with maybe my hopes too high that McFadyen would build off his first book and have an even stronger second outing, but I will say I was disappointed. Like the first book, this book also is told from the first person perspective of FBI agent/serial killer hunter Smokey Barrett (an interesting and strong lead character). These parts I enjoyed and found to be a suspenseful page turner.

Here is the “however” a few chapters are in a diary format written by a 16 year old girl remembering her horrifying past. These parts to me were “blah” for the lack of a better word. The story telling style was changed in these parts to accommodate the fact it was the perspective of a different person, and these parts just did not pull me into the story at all. I still enjoyed the book overall and will read his third and fourth books, but have decided to read something else before starting his third title. This is something I would not have done if I had enjoyed this book a little more. So overall it is an okay book, with strong characters, and a good mystery just not my favorite. ( )
  caseycycling | Jan 28, 2014 |
Eine sehr dunkle Geschichte. Weniger die Aufklärung durch die Protagonistin sondern vielmehr die tief erzählten Schicksalsschilderungen machen das Buch auf der einen Seite verzweifelnd grausam und auf der anderen wiederum höchst fesselnd. Cody McFadyen schafft es, sich das "Autounfall-Prinzip" zu nutze zu machen und schreibt undenkbares plastisch auf.

Das Buch schlägt in seinen Bann und begeistert düster. Das "Happy End", das aus der Geschichte Kitsch macht ist absolut zu verzeihen, ja, fast notwendig. Und auch die kleineren logischen Lücken können getrost übergangen werden.

Nun, es soll betont werden, dass ich niemandem mit Kindern und/oder einer zarten Seele die Lektüre nahe legen würde.
  peterde | Jan 26, 2014 |
When you look at the reading dates for this book, you see that I've read it in one day.
I'm glad that this second book in the series was my last one. Like I stated with #4, I felt like that was was an obligation, in my view it lacked the spirit, the passion tht the first book was written with.

This second in the series was like I fell in love all over again. Very explicit, but functional violonce, that makes me shiver: it is so realistic that I imagine it could easily happen IRL.

Smokey still mourning, but also getting bit by bit back on her feet. Bonnie is a bit too wise for my taste. I know she's been through a lot, that Smokey and her form a strange couple, but taking a child into an interrogation room? Letting her 'talk' to the accused? Well, that's over the top. But that is about the only ting in an otherwise great book. ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Sep 9, 2013 |

Cody McFadyenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Merz, AxelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Brieanna, my "Little B"
I dream of the face of death.
Ich töte jeden, den du liebst. Ich zerstöre dein Leben ... und dann erschaffe ich dich neu. Du bist mein Kustwerk.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553589946, Mass Market Paperback)

A June 2007 Significant Seven Editors' Pick: Don't let the title fool you. Cody McFadyen's The Face of Death is not just another scary-as-hell serial killer novel (although it is that in spades). Drawing a chilling portrait of a child stalked by a serial killer seeking revenge, McFadyen's second novel is surprisingly moving, standing out in an already packed genre by focusing on victim Sarah Langstrom and her struggle to survive. McFadyen knocked our socks off with his first book Shadow Man, but this arguably better sequel gives readers more time with Special Agent Smoky Barrett (Harris fans should imagine a stronger, more deeply scarred Clarice Starling). Barrett is a remarkable character--a ferocious survivor and reluctant heroine who only realizes her true potential in the face of unspeakable tragedy. Shocking, gruesome, and terrifying as it may be, the big kicker of this second novel is that it may also move you to tears. Easily one of my favorite thrillers of the year so far, The Face of Death is a perfect book for fans of Deaver, Koontz and King. But don't let me convince you, have a gander at the first chapter and decide for yourself. --Daphne Durham

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:21 -0400)

A young woman loses her family, her friends, almost anyone who has ever even done her a kindness to a maniacal serial killer. It's as if every trace of human contact is being wiped out of her life. Her terrifying case is handed to a woman who has had so much of her own happiness snatched away from her: Smoky Barrett, the extraordinary heroine of Mcfadyen's stunning debut "Shadow Man". Now caring for her murdered friend's mute daughter, Smoky must decide whether or not she can rise to one more fiendish challenge.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,533,301 books! | Top bar: Always visible