His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi Novik

His Majesty's Dragon

by Naomi Novik

Series: Temeraire (1)

4,995251910 (4.1)2 / 462
    Master and Commander by Patrick O'Brian (lorax)
    lorax: The Napoleonic Wars, just with no dragons. Better-written than Hornblower and with much stronger characterization.
    Mr. Midshipman Hornblower by C. S. Forester (DWWilkin)
    DWWilkin: If you like the time period, no better way to start then with the first popular series about Age of Sail
    Dragonflight by Anne McCaffrey (Rozax)
    Rozax: Both Novik and McCaffrey take great care in developing the worlds for their respective series. If you like one, you may very well like the other.
    Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld (PghDragonMan, Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Both are alternate history/fantasy novels with a distinct nautical flair. His Majesty's Dragon is set during the Napoleonic Wars - just with dragons (obviously) as a sort of Air Navy - complete with crew. Leviathan is set during an alternate WWI between the Darwinists (who have living ships & weapons) and the Clankers (who use machines).… (more)
    Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke (ErlendSkjelten)
    ErlendSkjelten: Much heavier fare than Temeraire, but all the more enjoyable for it. The Napoleonic wars, with magicians instead of dragons.
    The Dragon and the George by Gordon R. Dickson (infiniteletters)
    Airborn by Kenneth Oppel (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Another interesting and well written historical fantasy.
    Eon: Dragoneye Reborn by Alison Goodman (notemily)
    notemily: DRAGONS!
    Dragonhaven by Robin McKinley (infiniteletters)
    Midshipwizard Halcyon Blithe by James M. Ward (amysisson)
    amysisson: In this case, the dragon *is* the ship, and the main character is younger and less experienced, but otherwise they have a similar feel....
    Opening Atlantis by Harry Turtledove (PghDragonMan)
    Lord of the Changing Winds by Rachel Neumeier (noneofthis)
    The Dragon and the Thief by Gillian Bradshaw (one-horse.library)
    A Natural History of Dragons by Marie Brennan (one-horse.library)
    Sorcery and Cecelia or The Enchanted Chocolate Pot by Patricia C. Wrede (carlyrose)
    carlyrose: A bit lighter and for perhaps a younger audience, but also an alternate history dealing with the Napoleonic Wars.
    Dragon Companion by Don Callander (infiniteletters)
    The Fire Rose by Mercedes Lackey (FFortuna)
    Cast in Shadow by Michelle Sagara (leahsimone)
    Dragon Keeper by Robin Hobb (KimarieBee)
    Dragon Haven by Robin Hobb (KimarieBee)

English (247)  Swedish (2)  Italian (1)  Finnish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (252)
Description: Aerial combat brings a thrilling new dimension to the Napoleonic Wars as valiant warriors rise to Britain’s defense by taking to the skies . . . not aboard aircraft but atop the mighty backs of fighting dragons.

When HMS Reliant captures a French frigate and seizes its precious cargo, an unhatched dragon egg, fate sweeps Capt. Will Laurence from his seafaring life into an uncertain future–and an unexpected kinship with a most extraordinary creature. Thrust into the rarified world of the Aerial Corps as master of the dragon Temeraire, he will face a crash course in the daring tactics of airborne battle. For as France’s own dragon-borne forces rally to breach British soil in Bonaparte’s boldest gambit, Laurence and Temeraire must soar into their own baptism of fire.

Thoughts: I have to be totally honest. When I saw all the buzz around this series I thought they sounded very stupid. I really couldn't be bothered to even think of reading books that were repeatedly compared to Patrick O'Brian's boring naval stories. Yawn. Ok, so I like dragons sometimes but dragons in the Napoleonic Wars? Probably the most boring dragons ever. Even Jacky Faber couldn't make battles with Napoleon very interesting.

But I was wrong. I downloaded this about midnight last night. I then had to force myself to go to sleep at about 6 this morning. I was completely and TOTALLY enchanted. Laurence is a fine man, even if a little less fleshed out of a main character as would have been nice, but Temeraire is such an engrossing character! I didn't even care that not all that much really goes on in the book, I was just wholly captivated by Temeraire and the other dragons. Even the battle scenes held my attention.

I'm not sure how the series will hold up in the long run but I'm plowing right ahead.

Rating: 4

Liked: 4
Plot: 3.5
Characterization: 4.5
Writing: 4

https://www.librarything.com/topic/172068#4748069 ( )
  leahbird | Jan 20, 2015 |
I bought this for my husband in 2007, he wanted to read more fantasy novels, and my own love of dragons spilled over into my picking this up and suggesting it to him. He enjoyed it thoroughly and asked me to purchase the available sequels.

For the longest time I could not bring myself to read the series due to some conflicts with Ms. Novik's POV in certain issues related to her work with the Organization for Transformative Works (don't ask, I'm not discussing it). Finally, out of sheer boredom, I picked up the copy I had on the shelf and read through it.

It is quite clear that this is a first novel by an author who is more used to fan-fiction writing than full novel length storytelling. That (and other things) aside, it is a decent book with humorous interchanges between Laurence and Temeraire and Temeraire and the other dragons.

It will be interesting to see where Ms. Novik takes the story through the series. ( )
  amymyoung | Nov 27, 2014 |
Delightful! Wonderful! All the enthusiastic twee words I can find!

This book was great and I'm putting the squeeze on the friend who recommended it to me to pony up the rest of the series immediately.
I was put off initially, like other reviewers seem to have been as well, by the blurb/pitch of "napoleonic wars - with dragons!" and, you know, I don't know how else you'd describe the book because it very much is about that. But it's also a lot more than that, and the stuff it is about is a lot harder to put on a blurb without sounding weird.

"It's about a man and his dragon and they're adorable, and curl up outside and he really gets the dragons and cares about them and helps the people who have been caring for them for ages see things from a new perspective..."

"It's one of those heartwarming fantasy books, you just want to hug everyone, all the time!"

"It's a ragtag band of dragonriders and they're all brash and rude and forward compared to the rest of English society at the time, they're like drunken fun vikings in the corner, but you still get the lovely formality of the English social stuff at the same time..."

See? None of that works on a blurb to get someone to pick up a book, but it really is every one of those things. It's fun. It's heartwarming. It's British in the best sort of way.

I can see the people commenting about the characterisation being shallow and the overall lack of conflict in the book, it's valid... but I didn't notice or care. I was enjoying it for what it was too much! Sometimes I want an optimistic fantasy, where everyone's friends and things turn out ok even when Napoleon is trying to invade and you might well have accientally pissed of the Chinese.

Read this if you're sick of grimdark. Read this if you think you're over reading about dragons. Read this if you've got a Sunday afternoon you don't know what to do with. Read this before a job interview and walk in feeling like you're more enthusiastic and English than Nigel Thornberry (true story).

Ignore the "napoleonic wars with dragons", it sounds boring like that - read it because it's fun! ( )
  heaven_star | Oct 20, 2014 |
Delightful! Wonderful! All the enthusiastic twee words I can find!

heaven_star | Oct 20, 2014 |
A delight start to finish. I like Temeraire very much, and his handler too. ( )
  AmphipodGirl | Oct 14, 2014 |

Naomi Novikprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Harman, DominicCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Valkonen, TeroTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Charles, sine qua non
The deck of the French ship was slippery with blood, heaving in the choppy sea; a stroke might as easily bring down the man making it as the intended target.
“I should rather have you than a heap of gold, even if it were very comfortable to sleep on.”
Initially published as His Majesty's Dragon.
The change to 'Temeraire' is the UK title.

Published as "His Majesty's Dragon" in the United States and "Temeraire" in the United Kingdom.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345481283, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:41:30 -0400)

When the HMS Reliant captures a French ship and its priceless cargo, an unhatched dragon egg, Captain Will Laurence is swept into an unexpected kinship with an extraordinary creature and joins the elite Aerial Corps as a master of the dragon Temaraire, in which role he must match wits with the powerful dragon-borne forces of Napoleon Bonaparte.… (more)

Naomi Novik is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,089,854 books! | Top bar: Always visible