His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi Novik

His Majesty's Dragon

by Naomi Novik

Series: Temeraire (1)

5,060255890 (4.1)2 / 475
    Master and Commander by Patrick O'Brian (lorax)
    lorax: The Napoleonic Wars, just with no dragons. Better-written than Hornblower and with much stronger characterization.
    Mr. Midshipman Hornblower by C. S. Forester (DWWilkin)
    DWWilkin: If you like the time period, no better way to start then with the first popular series about Age of Sail
    Dragonflight by Anne McCaffrey (Rozax)
    Rozax: Both Novik and McCaffrey take great care in developing the worlds for their respective series. If you like one, you may very well like the other.
    Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld (PghDragonMan, Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Both are alternate history/fantasy novels with a distinct nautical flair. His Majesty's Dragon is set during the Napoleonic Wars - just with dragons (obviously) as a sort of Air Navy - complete with crew. Leviathan is set during an alternate WWI between the Darwinists (who have living ships & weapons) and the Clankers (who use machines).… (more)
    Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke (ErlendSkjelten)
    ErlendSkjelten: Much heavier fare than Temeraire, but all the more enjoyable for it. The Napoleonic wars, with magicians instead of dragons.
    The Dragon and the George by Gordon R. Dickson (infiniteletters)
    Airborn by Kenneth Oppel (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Another interesting and well written historical fantasy.
    Eon: Dragoneye Reborn by Alison Goodman (notemily)
    notemily: DRAGONS!
    Dragonhaven by Robin McKinley (infiniteletters)
    Lord of the Changing Winds by Rachel Neumeier (noneofthis)
    Midshipwizard Halcyon Blithe by James M. Ward (amysisson)
    amysisson: In this case, the dragon *is* the ship, and the main character is younger and less experienced, but otherwise they have a similar feel....
    A Natural History of Dragons by Marie Brennan (TomWaitsTables)
    Opening Atlantis by Harry Turtledove (PghDragonMan)
    The Dragon and the Thief by Gillian Bradshaw (TomWaitsTables)
    Sorcery and Cecelia, or, The Enchanted Chocolate Pot by Patricia C. Wrede (carlyrose)
    carlyrose: A bit lighter and for perhaps a younger audience, but also an alternate history dealing with the Napoleonic Wars.
    Dragon Companion by Don Callander (infiniteletters)
    The Fire Rose by Mercedes Lackey (FFortuna)
    Cast in Shadow by Michelle Sagara (leahsimone)
    Dragon Keeper by Robin Hobb (KimarieBee)
    Dragon Haven by Robin Hobb (KimarieBee)

English (250)  Swedish (2)  Italian (1)  Finnish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (255)
I'm a dragon-crazy person, and this... definitely satisfies, to say the least. I LOVE this series.
My full review is here, on Hot Stuff for Cool People. ( )
  hotforcool | May 31, 2015 |
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The dragons are charming and the characters are interesting and well developed. Set during the Napoleonic wars this is a tale set in a world where dragons exist and are crucial in the war effort. The story revolves around Laurence, a Navy Captain, whose world is turned upside down by a seemingly cruel twist of fate when he is forced to leave his life after being coupled with a newly hatched dragon. Laurence and his new charge,Temaraire, join the Aerial Corps and become inseparable friends and an unbeatable team against the overwhelming French horde. ( )
  nebula21 | Apr 28, 2015 |
From the beginning you know that Laurence is a good guy with the right intentions. He is onboard as a Captain and the story begins with his ship overtaking a French one. They win and on board they discover a dragon egg locked away. Laurence takes it back to his ship and they wait until it finally hatches. The dragon chooses Laurence and he names him Temeraire. From there they go and await orders. Laurence gives up his Captain title in the Navy and his possible future with Edith to join and become the Captain in the corps with Temeraire. Together they learn how to maneuver and go to fight when necessary.

The characters are awesome to meet. You find those that are in the background and you get enough details about them to recognize and understand them. The development of Temeraire is very well written. Things don���������t always come in magic and you watch as the dragon learns flying eating hunting fighting reading etc. You even see where it gets frustrated with the monotonous routine he gets into. Watching these characteristics develop and grow brings the story to life. Your heart breaks for Levitas and you want to knock the crap out of Rankin. Laurence even goes through his own struggles that you can easily follow without being weighed down by too much detail. Definitely a great read
  jessica_reads | Mar 24, 2015 |
Description: Aerial combat brings a thrilling new dimension to the Napoleonic Wars as valiant warriors rise to Britain’s defense by taking to the skies . . . not aboard aircraft but atop the mighty backs of fighting dragons.

When HMS Reliant captures a French frigate and seizes its precious cargo, an unhatched dragon egg, fate sweeps Capt. Will Laurence from his seafaring life into an uncertain future–and an unexpected kinship with a most extraordinary creature. Thrust into the rarified world of the Aerial Corps as master of the dragon Temeraire, he will face a crash course in the daring tactics of airborne battle. For as France’s own dragon-borne forces rally to breach British soil in Bonaparte’s boldest gambit, Laurence and Temeraire must soar into their own baptism of fire.

Thoughts: I have to be totally honest. When I saw all the buzz around this series I thought they sounded very stupid. I really couldn't be bothered to even think of reading books that were repeatedly compared to Patrick O'Brian's boring naval stories. Yawn. Ok, so I like dragons sometimes but dragons in the Napoleonic Wars? Probably the most boring dragons ever. Even Jacky Faber couldn't make battles with Napoleon very interesting.

But I was wrong. I downloaded this about midnight last night. I then had to force myself to go to sleep at about 6 this morning. I was completely and TOTALLY enchanted. Laurence is a fine man, even if a little less fleshed out of a main character as would have been nice, but Temeraire is such an engrossing character! I didn't even care that not all that much really goes on in the book, I was just wholly captivated by Temeraire and the other dragons. Even the battle scenes held my attention.

I'm not sure how the series will hold up in the long run but I'm plowing right ahead.

Rating: 4

Liked: 4
Plot: 3.5
Characterization: 4.5
Writing: 4

https://www.librarything.com/topic/172068#4748069 ( )
  leahbird | Jan 20, 2015 |
I bought this for my husband in 2007, he wanted to read more fantasy novels, and my own love of dragons spilled over into my picking this up and suggesting it to him. He enjoyed it thoroughly and asked me to purchase the available sequels.

For the longest time I could not bring myself to read the series due to some conflicts with Ms. Novik's POV in certain issues related to her work with the Organization for Transformative Works (don't ask, I'm not discussing it). Finally, out of sheer boredom, I picked up the copy I had on the shelf and read through it.

It is quite clear that this is a first novel by an author who is more used to fan-fiction writing than full novel length storytelling. That (and other things) aside, it is a decent book with humorous interchanges between Laurence and Temeraire and Temeraire and the other dragons.

It will be interesting to see where Ms. Novik takes the story through the series. ( )
  amymyoung | Nov 27, 2014 |

Naomi Novikprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Harman, DominicCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Valkonen, TeroTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Charles, sine qua non
The deck of the French ship was slippery with blood, heaving in the choppy sea; a stroke might as easily bring down the man making it as the intended target.
“I should rather have you than a heap of gold, even if it were very comfortable to sleep on.”
Initially published as His Majesty's Dragon.
The change to 'Temeraire' is the UK title.

Published as "His Majesty's Dragon" in the United States and "Temeraire" in the United Kingdom.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345481283, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:41 -0400)

When the HMS Reliant captures a French ship and its priceless cargo, an unhatched dragon egg, Captain Will Laurence is swept into an unexpected kinship with an extraordinary creature and joins the elite Aerial Corps as a master of the dragon Temaraire, in which role he must match wits with the powerful dragon-borne forces of Napoleon Bonaparte.… (more)

Naomi Novik is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,880,313 books! | Top bar: Always visible