Temeraire: In the Service of the King by…

Temeraire: In the Service of the King

by Naomi Novik

Series: Temeraire (Omnibus 1-3)

Dragonriders of Pern by Anne McCaffrey (Rozax)
    Rozax: Both Novik and McCaffrey applied a great amount of care in building the worlds found in their respective series.
    A Natural History of Dragons: A Memoir by Lady Trent by Marie Brennan (TomWaitsTables)
    Havemercy by Jaida Jones (FFortuna)

set in the era of the Napoleanic wars. Dragons are a part of life. The worlds' armies have learned to domesticate them and use them for warfare. A special group of the military, called Aviators, has come into being. Follows the adventures of Captain Laurence as he goes from being a British Navy Captain to an Aviator. First book, about him and Temeraire[the dragon] was good. Temeraire hatching, growing up, learning to fight, etc. It was a well written adventure yarn. The 2 following books, on the other hand, I didn't enjoy that much. Follows them to China and then as they make their way back to England. Political intrigue, dragon rights, etc, filled these stories instead of battle and action. I would have a hard time reading any further about Temeraire if future volumes[if there are any] continued in this vein. ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
Novik's engrossing series (of which this is the first three books in a combined edition) combines the best of historical adventure with high fantasy. It's an irresistible setup: Dragons are real, and are routinely used (as a sort of specialized aerial cavalry) on the battlefields of the world. She has mastered the mannered prose of historical nautical fiction without sacrificing any of the vigor of seafaring travel or of Napoleonic-era warfare. It would be a fun read regardless, but she manages to draw engaging and very real characters along the way -- both human and dragon -- sometimes with a few economical strokes. The series' title character, in particular, Temeraire, is a charming blend of idealism, pride, immaturity (he is very young), courage and loyalty that makes him one of fantasy fiction's most delightful heroes. I could not resist plunging right on into the rest of this (thankfully long!) series as soon as I had finished the trilogy, and I can't wait for more! ( )
  jenspirko | Oct 5, 2016 |
Delightful alternate history with dragons - Temeraire is a joy from his first appearance on the page, but the real delight here is in the bromance he develops with straight-laced Captain Will Laurence and Will's subsequent unbending as he is forced (book after book) to confront the various prejudices he holds dear.

The first two books are relatively slow going, but Naomi Novik is a fine hand at inciting emotional attachment, so I relished each development and (in book two) the political entanglements that threatened our glorious pair. The third is more action-packed but - ironically - less successful for me once the team arrive back in Europe; it's a very realistic fantasy depiction of the Napoleonic War against Prussia, which means it's a good deal less interesting than everything that has gone before.

Full reviews of Temeraire / Throne of Jade / Black Powder War. ( )
  imyril | Aug 18, 2016 |

His Majesty's Dragon - 5★

Oh, I quite enjoyed this one. I found the contrast between Laurence's prim Navy ways and life with an unpredictable dragon endearing. I enjoyed watching his growing affection for Temeraire and Temeraire's honest open love. I did find some of it predictable and it didn't really have much of an ending, since this is the first of a much longer series. But I'm looking forward to book two.

Throne of Jade - 3.5★

I still loved the characters and the writing and the world-building (dragon species, etc) was still astounding, but honestly I found this book a bit dull. The vast majority was comprised of traveling. While there were a few battles with [insert opponent here], most were just random encounters in the course of oceanic transport. There were very few events of actual importance to the plot. What little there was, was crowded in the last 1/4 or so of the book. Even then, Laurence's reticence to push people/dragons for further information left the reader wanting information. Still a good book, but I didn't enjoy it anywhere near as much as the first.

Black Powder War - 3.5★

My review of this Black Powder War is very much the same as Throne of Jade. I adored His Majesty's Dragon, but though I still enjoyed the writing, characters and world building of these latter books, the continued shift toward the war and politics as the primary focus of the story bored me. Plus, the fact that the books all seem to end without conclusion is annoying. I'm just not willing to dedicate myself to 5 more books in the hope of an ending. And that's if the 8th book, published just this year, is an actual conclusion, as opposed to just the most recent book with more to come. So having reached the last page of my third 300 book in the series I am calling it quits.

Again, the voice of these characters is wonderful. Novik has really created very detailed draconic strata based largely on dragon size and ability. There is a lot of subtle humour and history is deftly merged with fantasy. So for the right reader this is probably a full-on five star book, as book one was for me. I, however, can't drag my rating up that high for something I wasn't less disappointed in. ( )
  SadieSForsythe | Feb 24, 2016 |
This book, which presents the first three Temeraire novels in one omnibus volume, grabbed me from the first pages. It's military historical fantasy set in Napoleonic times. Think Horatio Hornblower with dragons. Absolutely brilliant.

I'm so delighted that Naomi Novik has written half a dozen more. I have much to look forward to! ( )
  HeatherMOConnor | Mar 25, 2015 |

Naomi Novikprimary authorall editionscalculated
Davidson, AndrewCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lockwood, ToddCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The deck of the French ship was slippery with blood, heaving in the choppy sea; a stroke might as easily bring down the man making it as the intended target.

Capt. Will Laurence is serving with honor in the British Navy when his ship captures a French frigate harboring a most unusual cargo--an incalculably valuable dragon egg. When the egg hatches, Laurence unexpectedly becomes the master of the young dragon Temeraire and finds himself on an extraordinary journey that will shatter his orderly, respectable life and alter the course of his nation's history.… (more)

Naomi Novik is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,449,070 books! | Top bar: Always visible