A Drinking Companion: Alcohol and Writers'…

A Drinking Companion: Alcohol and Writers' Lives

by Kelly Boler

192537,190 (3.33)1

This was a pretty great read. When I picked it up, I expected a light-hearted, "Great writers drink, but look at what they did!" What I got was a very disturbing look into the lives of several writers. In the introduction, [author: Kelly Boler] points out that after seeing what alcohol did to these authors, and their friends and family, one may have a negative outlook on alcohol. Indeed so.

Most of these writers were so incredibly selfish and helpless, they couldn't do anything on their own, and expected others to do everything (including feed them) for them. Not only did these authors (male and female alike) have a large dependence on alcohol (and most of them, other drugs as well), but also felt that sex was something they needed constantly. Despite marriages, kids, professions of love to their partners, these authors were out of control.

It is interesting to see how all of these contemporary authors (all living at the turn of, or during the 20th century) lived. This book has given me a new light for which to look at the literature I read. Also, it has opened up a world of poetry and fiction that I want to read.

I don't consider myself particularly interested in reading nonfiction (biographies included) but this was really interestng. ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |

csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,464,975 books! | Top bar: Always visible