Our Librarian Won't Tell Us Anything by Toni…

Our Librarian Won't Tell Us Anything

by Toni Buzzeo, Sachiko Yoshikawa (Illustrator)

The book is about a boy at a new school, who is told that the librarian isn't helpful. But throughout the story she is helpful, she just wanted the students to find out the answers to all their questions on their own. She gives them the resources and guides them but she wants them to do it for themselves. I would read this book to my students to encourage them to utilize the library and to explain to them, the role of a librarian. I would suggest this book for grades 2nd through 4th. ( )
  clarionb | Sep 13, 2016 |
There are three reasons I like this book. The librarian teaches the students to be independent and find things on their own. Robert asked the librarian to help him find the mammals. So she took him to the computer to use the online catalog and when he found the books he wanted, she said “Now use the shelf labels to find them!” I also like the illustrations. They are vibrant with color. On some pages, the illustrations help predict what is going to happen later in the story. For example, the illustration shows the librarian pointing to the media lab. Later in the text, we find out that she takes the students to the lab to help with their project. Finally, I liked the portrayal of the characters in the book. Robert is the main character. He is portrayed as an eager student, ready to learn. He also seems like he likes the library and books. Carmen is portrayed as a negative character. When Robert goes to ask the librarian a question, Carmen says “Well don’t bother asking Mrs. Skorupski. She won’t tell you ANYTHING!” Mrs. Skorupski is the librarian. She is perceived as very enthusiastic about her job. She is also very helpful to the students who ask for help. For example, Robert asks Mrs. Skorupski to help him choose a multimedia product and she says “Sure! Come with me- and bring Carmen along, too.” ( )
  AliciaTrotman | Apr 9, 2015 |
The librarian in the story teaches Robert how to find information in the library. This would be a good book to introduce research skills to elementary age students. ( )
  Amy.Matthews | Feb 11, 2015 |
Another great teaching book that is also fun to read to students. Teach students how to find what they need in the library. ( )
  weisser4 | Jun 3, 2014 |
  deweymama | Mar 4, 2010 |

Toni Buzzeoprimary authorall editionscalculated
Yoshikawa, SachikoIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 193214675X, Hardcover)

According to Carmen, a fourth-grader at Liberty Elementary, her school's librarian won't tell students ANYTHING! Fortunately, her classmate Robert doesn't believe Carmen and marches right over to ask Mrs. Skorupski question after question. Mrs. Skorupski's eyes twinkle and her rhinestone glasses sparkle as she leads Robert to the tools he needs to find the answers. Carmen scowls as she watches Robert become a Library Success Story, but eventually comes around as she realizes that Mrs. Skorupski can teach them EVERYTHING!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:48 -0400)

After Robert is told by another student not to bother asking Mrs. Skorupski for help since she never gives any answers, Robert finds the school librarian more than helpful in teaching him how to find the answers to his questions by using online information, the catalog, and the library's nonfiction shelves.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,075,033 books! | Top bar: Always visible