Potent Pleasures by Eloisa James

Potent Pleasures (1999)

by Eloisa James (Author)

Recently added byprivate library, sammii507, libra79, malee1, riverwillow, dibs139, being_b

Eloisa James's characters often are unconventional and Charlotte is no exception as she is a passionate painter. She is, of course, as the heroine of a romance novel, also passionate about other things and when she encounters Alex Foakes at a disreputable masquerade ball, he seduces her. As is ruined Charlotte determines never to marry, until years later, after her debut, she encounters Alex, now titled, rich and the subject of a scandalous marriage and he doesn't remember Charlotte. I enjoyed reading this dark story, Alex is not a straightforward character and his and Charlotte's romance is not the stuff of fairy tales. ( )
  riverwillow | Jun 12, 2014 |
Nice writing and interesting plot in this deeply emotional romance. However, the hero tops my list of worst heroes ever, since he distrusts and browbeats the heroine repeatedly and she is stupid enough to stay by his side despite the way he treats her. The fact that after hating both protagonists I ended up liking the book despite myself, says a lot about Mrs James writing skills. With heavy editing this could become a keeper, but with a hero like that it is barely finishable. ( )
1 vote faniP | Aug 24, 2012 |
Warning, there is something of a spoiler in this review.

I loved Eloisa's duchesses series and wanted to start with her first book. The beginning was very enjoyable and I loved how the heroine grew confident and strong after the initial incident. However, I'm about midway through the book and can't go on. I am overly frustrated and plain angry with the hero. I skimmed ahead to see when he figures out his boneheadedness and he doesn't, which is why I'm struggling to continue. He doesn't figure out what happens until the epilogue when the heroine reenacts what happened. Then the lightbulb moment. I suppose it is may be more satisfying for some that they work through the problem despite him not realizing the truth but I just want to beat the guy until he gets it.

The writing is done quite well, but the hero is an stupid beyond acceptable since he never has to pay for his behavior. ( )
1 vote ksattler | Nov 2, 2010 |
This is probably one of Eloisa James's best books. Although her writing style has certainly developed since she wrote this book (her first), there are certain things about this book that make it better than her later ones. Mostly, there's no annoying secondary plot that threatens to take over the book and makes you want to skip chapters...this is definitely a plus! This book is a fun read. There is a lot of heat between the characters, and their fights are a good deal of fun. I'd read the other two in this series, and it's nice to see how it all started. Good for a light, fun read. ( )
  Anniik | Feb 6, 2008 |
For Sharon Kosick, of the wonderful bookstore The Book Rack, Too, who guided my reading and encouraged my writing. Thank you.
Charlotte was one week short of seventeen when her life changed, falling into two halves like a shiny child's ball: before and after.

blurb: Reckless desire sends Charlotte Daicheston into the garden with a dashing masked stranger. He’s powerful, unforgettable, a devastatingly handsome footman who lures her - not against her will - into a grand indiscretion at a masquerade ball. Then he vanishes. Several years later, after Charlotte has made her dazzling debut later in London society, they meet again. But the rogue is no footman. He’s rich, titled, and he doesn’t remember Charlotte. Worse, he’s the subject of some scandalous gossip: rumor has it, the earl’s virility is in question. Charlotte, who knows all too intimately the power of his passion, is stunned by the gossip that has society ablaze. At last, there can be a storybook ending….unless, of course, Charlottes one mad indiscretion had not been with him at all…….

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440234565, Mass Market Paperback)

When the young Lady Charlotte Caverstill attends a local masked ball while on holiday in the countryside, she has no intention of dishonoring herself. But a handsome man ignites an unknown passion in her, and she finds herself willingly following him into the shadows of the garden. Before the night is over, Charlotte has surrendered her heart, as well as her virginity, to this man whom she doesn't know.

Though Alex McDonough Foakes spends the entire summer trying to track down the mysterious maiden from the masquerade ball, he cannot find her. Sent to Italy, he seeks solace in an ill-fated marriage, and returns years later a father, a widower, and a pessimist in love. When Alex meets Charlotte, he falls madly in love with her--despite his inability to recognize her--and proposes. She refuses. How can she marry a man who does not remember her after such an intimacy? And if she does, how can she explain her lack of virginity?

In this, her debut novel, author Eloise James takes special care to test and develop her characters in different situations. Unlike books with the familiar cart-before-the-horse plot, James does not restrict her characters to the bedroom; as Charlotte and Alex interact with friends and family in different arenas, they become more realistic and interesting. And though their motives are not always believable, the lovers appear to be a part of a greater world--one that will quickly capture the reader's imagination. --Nancy R.E. O'Brien

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:17 -0400)

The dashing Earl of Sheffield explodes in anger on discovering his bride, portrait painter Charlotte Calverstill is not a virgin. But as she keeps repeating he simply has a poor memory, it was he who deflowered her years earlier. A Regency romance.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,818,494 books! | Top bar: Always visible