The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by…

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (1979)

by Douglas Adams

Series: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (1)

29,34054451 (4.21)1 / 1157
Recently added bybeyzx, eldorz, private library, greghey, lp92, Avianna, arh1387, ThosD, VMUser
Legacy LibrariesJuice Leskinen
    Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency / The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul by Douglas Adams (gandalf_grey)
    The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde (ut.tecum.loquerer, coliemta)
    coliemta: One's more literary and the other more science-fiction-y, but they're both bizarre, hilarious and similar in feel. Most people who like one will enjoy the other.
    The Colour of Magic by Terry Pratchett (mcenroeucsb)
    mcenroeucsb: Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy : Science Fiction :: The Color of Magic : Fantasy
    Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch by Terry Pratchett (mcenroeucsb)
    mcenroeucsb: Good Omens is uneven in writing quality, but the flippant interactions between some of the angels and demons very much reminds me of Douglas Adams.
    Red Dwarf: Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers by Grant Naylor (Konran)
    The Sirens of Titan by Kurt Vonnegut (girlunderglass, catfantastic)
    girlunderglass: before The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - more than 20 years before it - there was THIS book about space travel, time travel, and the "ultimate answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything". Adams certainly borrowed a lot from Vonnegut.
    Redshirts: A Novel with Three Codas by John Scalzi (mcenroeucsb)
    The Light Fantastic by Terry Pratchett (Nikkles)
    Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Although Neverwhere and The Hitchhiker's Guide (THHG) are different genres (the first is urban fantasy, the second comic science-fiction) I felt there was a lot of similarity between the characters of Richard Mayhew (in Neverwhere) and Arthur Dent (in THHG). Both are a kind of everyman with whom the reader can identify and both embody a certain 'Britishness'. And they're both stonkingly good books by British authors.… (more)
    John Dies at the End by David Wong (fundevogel)
    Catch-22 by Joseph Heller (wvlibrarydude)
    wvlibrarydude: Satire and humor that will split your gut. Read if you want to laugh at humanity.
    Equal Rites by Terry Pratchett (SandraArdnas)
    Year Zero by Rob Reid (aethercowboy)
    aethercowboy: Year Zero is a humorous science fiction book that pokes liberal fun at the current state of music copyright, but also tells a hilarious story in the process about aliens obsessed with Earth music (except for North Korea).
    The Sheriff of Yrnameer by Michael Rubens (MyriadBooks)
    Martians, Go Home by Fredric Brown (fougny)
    Alles außer irdisch by Horst Evers (Camaho)
    The Best of Henry Kuttner by Henry Kuttner (SnootyBaronet)
    Beforelife: A Likely Story by Randal N. M. Graham (ShelfMonkey)
    Store of the Worlds: The Stories of Robert Sheckley by Robert Sheckley (SnootyBaronet)
    Last Chance to See by Douglas Adams (Waldstein)
    Waldstein: Douglas Adams's true masterpiece, albeit one of non-fiction. Far wittier and profounder than The Guide.

1970s (2)
Satire (2)
Read (51)

English (511)  Italian (8)  French (5)  Dutch (3)  Danish (2)  Slovak (2)  Finnish (2)  Spanish (2)  German (2)  Polish (1)  Portuguese (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Catalan (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (542)
This book is so awesome. I loved everything about it. Marvin I think has to be my favorite character. The story was fun to read and I can't wait to read it again.

Even reading it the second time around it great! ( )
  LVStrongPuff | Nov 29, 2018 |
Read it when I was a kid. Adams' humour isn't really my kind of comedy, but I certainly appreciate the scope (and epic weirdness) of his vision! ( )
  therebelprince | Oct 30, 2018 |
Now I know the references my nerdy friends make. I have no idea why I did not finish this book the first time; I thought it was hilarious. ( )
1 vote Gezemice | Oct 29, 2018 |
It sure wasn't what I expected. A little far fetched even for science fiction, but good just the same. Now turn into a whale so you can fly through space. ( )
  fulner | Oct 24, 2018 |
Don't really understand all the internet hype about this book. It's funny but eh, Discworld deserves the 5 stars. ( )
  JohnLambrechts | Sep 24, 2018 |
Humorous science fiction novels have notoriously limited audiences; they tend to be full of ''in'' jokes understandable only to those who read everything from Jules Verne to Harlan Ellison. The ''Hitchhiker's Guide'' is a delightful exception, being written for anyone who can understand the thrill that might come to a crew of interstellar explorers who discover a mysterious planet, dead for five million years, and then hear on their ''sub etha'' radio a ghostly voice, hollow, reedy, insubstantial: ''Greetings to you. ... This is a recorded announcement, as I'm afraid we're all out at the moment. ...''

Adams, Douglasprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Don't Panic
for
Johnny Brock and Clare Gorst
and all other Arlingtonians
for tea, sympathy, and a sofa
Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the Western Spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small unregarded yellow star.
Don't Panic
If there's anything more important than my ego around here, I want it caught and shot now.
The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't.
For thousands of years, the mighty ships tore across the empty wastes of space and finally dived screaming on to the first planet they came across—which happened to be the Earth—where due to a terrible miscalculation of scale the entire battle fleet was accidentally swallowed by a small dog.
Life! Don't talk to me about life.
[Book 1 Only] "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" is the title of the first in a series of novels (as well as the first in a series of radio dramas). The five works in the series are generally referred to as "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" or "The Hitchhiker Trilogy", as is the series of radio dramas. Though there are unabridged audio recordings of these works, the radio dramas are considerably different from the printed works. Eoin Colfer, of "Artemis Fowl" fame, contracted in 2008 to write the next volume of the "Trilogy." Do not combine it with the graphic novel adaptation.
Arthur's drab lifestyle/The answer is forty two/What is the question?
(hreilly)
Wet, McKenna muttered
A curse up to God;
The clouds laughed.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345391802, Mass Market Paperback)

Join Douglas Adams's hapless hero Arthur Dent as he travels the galaxy with his intrepid pal Ford Prefect, getting into horrible messes and generally wreaking hilarious havoc. Dent is grabbed from Earth moments before a cosmic construction team obliterates the planet to build a freeway. You'll never read funnier science fiction; Adams is a master of intelligent satire, barbed wit, and comedic dialogue. The Hitchhiker's Guide is rich in comedic detail and thought-provoking situations and stands up to multiple reads. Required reading for science fiction fans, this book (and its follow-ups) is also sure to please fans of Monty Python, Terry Pratchett's Discworld series, and British sitcoms.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:52 -0400)

After Earth is demolished to make way for a new hyperspatial expressway, Arthur Dent begins to hitch-hike through space.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,728,199 books! | Top bar: Always visible