The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by…

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (1979)

by Douglas Adams

Series: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (1)

24,01939245 (4.22)1 / 920
    Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency / The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul by Douglas Adams (gandalf_grey)
    The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde (ut.tecum.loquerer, coliemta)
    coliemta: One's more literary and the other more science-fiction-y, but they're both bizarre, hilarious and similar in feel. Most people who like one will enjoy the other.
    The Colour of Magic by Terry Pratchett (mcenroeucsb)
    mcenroeucsb: Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy : Science Fiction :: The Color of Magic : Fantasy
    Red Dwarf: Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers by Grant Naylor (Konran)
    The Sirens of Titan by Kurt Vonnegut (girlunderglass, catfantastic)
    girlunderglass: before The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - more than 20 years before it - there was THIS book about space travel, time travel, and the "ultimate answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything". Adams certainly borrowed a lot from Vonnegut.
    Redshirts by John Scalzi (mcenroeucsb)
    Good Omens by Terry Pratchett (mcenroeucsb)
    mcenroeucsb: Good Omens is uneven in writing quality, but the flippant interactions between some of the angels and demons very much reminds me of Douglas Adams.
    The Light Fantastic by Terry Pratchett (Nikkles)
    Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Although Neverwhere and The Hitchhiker's Guide (THHG) are different genres (the first is urban fantasy, the second comic science-fiction) I felt there was a lot of similarity between the characters of Richard Mayhew (in Neverwhere) and Arthur Dent (in THHG). Both are a kind of everyman with whom the reader can identify and both embody a certain 'Britishness'. And they're both stonkingly good books by British authors.… (more)
    The Sheriff of Yrnameer by Michael Rubens (MyriadBooks)
    John Dies at the End by David Wong (fundevogel)
    Doorways in the Sand by Roger Zelazny (WildMaggie)
    The Toyminator by Robert Rankin (ShelfMonkey)
    The Wish List by Eoin Colfer (missmaddie)
    missmaddie: Follow the unlikely hero through a tongue-in-cheek, sci-fi adventure
    The Automatic Detective by A. Lee Martinez (grizzly.anderson)
    grizzly.anderson: A campy-SF 50's detective story that I think will appeal to the same sense of humor.
    Catch-22 by Joseph Heller (wvlibrarydude)
    wvlibrarydude: Satire and humor that will split your gut. Read if you want to laugh at humanity.
    Wyrd Sisters by Terry Pratchett (unlucky)
    unlucky: Both are comedic with insight and satirical in nature, making fun of conventions in their respective genres.
    Only You Can Save Mankind by Terry Pratchett (mybookshelf)
    Lords and Ladies by Terry Pratchett (revolutionary_marcia)
    Astrotruckers by Mikael Niemi (andejons)
    andejons: Similarly absurd stories set in space, even if Niemi has more grime.

English (367)  Italian (4)  French (3)  Dutch (3)  German (2)  Danish (2)  Slovak (2)  Spanish (2)  Finnish (2)  Polish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Hebrew (1)  Portuguese (1)  All languages (391)
Silly, funny, absurd, British. I now understand any number of pop culture references. As a novel, though, it just didn't grab me the way I thought it would. Maybe a matter of expectations set too high? ( )
  pfflyernc | Jul 25, 2014 |
Only read this so I could see the movie.

It was decent, not amazing.

csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
Only read this so I could see the movie.

It was decent, not amazing.

csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
It’s been almost a decade since the first time I read this book. Years later I realized it was just as hilarious when I reread it as it was the first time around. Adams created characters and situations that make you laugh out loud no matter where you are. His droll sense of humor is legendary and just when your stomach stops hurting from laughing, he throws you another curveball, like an alien race that tortures people by making them listen to horrible poetry.

It all starts with a quiet British man named Arthur Dent who unknowingly hitches a ride on a spaceship just before the earth is destroyed. This book is the first in a five part "trilogy" featuring a small band of oddballs who travel through space. The main characters include unforgettable individuals like Ford Prefect, Zaphod Beeblebrox and Trillian.

My two personal favorites are Dent, whose bumbling, sweet-natured confusion is irresistible and Marvin, a depressed robot who is constantly bemoaning the fact that no one listens to him. I also have a soft spot for Deep Thought, the mega computer created to answer the question of the meaning of life.

It’s impossible to fully capture just what it is about this book that I love so much. Yes, it’s funny, but there more to it. In Dent we have a relatable lead that is completely confused by his new space surroundings. He is human, in every sense of the word, so we understand his bafflement and we root for him.

There’s one scene that has always remained my favorite. It is quintessential Adams, completely absurd and yet oddly poignant. Without explaining the circumstances in too much detail, we have a whale and a potted petunia falling from the sky. The whale is in awe of everything he sees and the petunia thinks… “Oh no, not again.”

BOTTOM LINE: One of my absolute favorite books of all time. I would recommend Adam's writing to most people, but I would say if you love Monty Python's sense of humor these books are an absolute must. Sit back and enjoy the ridiculousness and don't forget your towel.

“The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't.”

“Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.” ( )
  bookworm12 | Jul 2, 2014 |
It's satirical, whimsical and silly, but it's not funny. It's supposed to be funny, I can tell, but I'm just not laughing. However, it's interesting enough to read because you never know where the main characters will end up. Off to the next book~ ( )
  Me-chan | Jun 19, 2014 |
Humorous science fiction novels have notoriously limited audiences; they tend to be full of ''in'' jokes understandable only to those who read everything from Jules Verne to Harlan Ellison. The ''Hitchhiker's Guide'' is a delightful exception, being written for anyone who can understand the thrill that might come to a crew of interstellar explorers who discover a mysterious planet, dead for five million years, and then hear on their ''sub etha'' radio a ghostly voice, hollow, reedy, insubstantial: ''Greetings to you. ... This is a recorded announcement, as I'm afraid we're all out at the moment. ...''

Adams, Douglasprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Keine Panik
for
Johnny Brock and Clare Gorst
and all other Arlingtonians
for tea, sympathy, and a sofa
Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the Western Spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small unregarded yellow sun. Orbiting this at a distance of roughly ninety-eight million miles is an utterly insignificant little blue-green planet whose ape-descended life forms are so amazingly primitive that they still think digital watches are a pretty neat idea.
Don't Panic
If there's anything more important than my ego around here, I want it caught and shot now.
The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't.
For thousands of years, the mighty ships tore across the empty wastes of space and finally dived screaming on to the first planet they came across---which happened to be the Earth---where due to a terrible miscalculation of scale the entire battle fleet was accidentally swallowed by a small dog.
Life! Don't talk to me about life.
[Book 1 Only] "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" is the title of the first in a series of novels (as well as the first in a series of radio dramas). The five works in the series are generally referred to as "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" or "The Hitchhiker Trilogy", as is the series of radio dramas. Though there are unabridged audio recordings of these works, the radio dramas are considerably different from the printed works. Eoin Colfer, of "Artemis Fowl" fame, contracted in 2008 to write the next volume of the "Trilogy." Do not combine with 'Douglas Adams' Hitchhikers Guide.....' - this is the graphic novel adaptation.
Information from the Hungarian Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.
Arthur's drab lifestyle/The answer is forty two/ What is the question?
(hreilly)
Wet, McKenna muttered

A curse up to God;

The clouds laughed.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345391802, Mass Market Paperback)

Join Douglas Adams's hapless hero Arthur Dent as he travels the galaxy with his intrepid pal Ford Prefect, getting into horrible messes and generally wreaking hilarious havoc. Dent is grabbed from Earth moments before a cosmic construction team obliterates the planet to build a freeway. You'll never read funnier science fiction; Adams is a master of intelligent satire, barbed wit, and comedic dialogue. The Hitchhiker's Guide is rich in comedic detail and thought-provoking situations and stands up to multiple reads. Required reading for science fiction fans, this book (and its follow-ups) is also sure to please fans of Monty Python, Terry Pratchett's Discworld series, and British sitcoms.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:43 -0400)

Seconds before Earth is demolished to make room for a galactic freeway, an earthman is saved by his friend. Together they journey through the galaxy.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,625,435 books! | Top bar: Always visible