The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by…

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (1979)

by Douglas Adams

Series: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (1)

24,78241844 (4.22)1 / 962
    Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency / The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul by Douglas Adams (gandalf_grey)
    The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde (ut.tecum.loquerer, coliemta)
    coliemta: One's more literary and the other more science-fiction-y, but they're both bizarre, hilarious and similar in feel. Most people who like one will enjoy the other.
    The Colour of Magic by Terry Pratchett (mcenroeucsb)
    mcenroeucsb: Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy : Science Fiction :: The Color of Magic : Fantasy
    Red Dwarf: Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers by Grant Naylor (Konran)
    The Sirens of Titan by Kurt Vonnegut (girlunderglass, catfantastic)
    girlunderglass: before The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - more than 20 years before it - there was THIS book about space travel, time travel, and the "ultimate answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything". Adams certainly borrowed a lot from Vonnegut.
    Redshirts by John Scalzi (mcenroeucsb)
    Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch by Terry Pratchett (mcenroeucsb)
    mcenroeucsb: Good Omens is uneven in writing quality, but the flippant interactions between some of the angels and demons very much reminds me of Douglas Adams.
    The Light Fantastic by Terry Pratchett (Nikkles)
    Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Although Neverwhere and The Hitchhiker's Guide (THHG) are different genres (the first is urban fantasy, the second comic science-fiction) I felt there was a lot of similarity between the characters of Richard Mayhew (in Neverwhere) and Arthur Dent (in THHG). Both are a kind of everyman with whom the reader can identify and both embody a certain 'Britishness'. And they're both stonkingly good books by British authors.… (more)
    The Sheriff of Yrnameer by Michael Rubens (MyriadBooks)
    John Dies at the End by David Wong (fundevogel)
    Doorways in the Sand by Roger Zelazny (WildMaggie)
    The Toyminator by Robert Rankin (ShelfMonkey)
    Catch-22 by Joseph Heller (wvlibrarydude)
    wvlibrarydude: Satire and humor that will split your gut. Read if you want to laugh at humanity.
    The Automatic Detective by A. Lee Martinez (grizzly.anderson)
    grizzly.anderson: A campy-SF 50's detective story that I think will appeal to the same sense of humor.
    The Wish List by Eoin Colfer (missmaddie)
    missmaddie: Follow the unlikely hero through a tongue-in-cheek, sci-fi adventure
    Wyrd Sisters by Terry Pratchett (unlucky)
    unlucky: Both are comedic with insight and satirical in nature, making fun of conventions in their respective genres.
    Only You Can Save Mankind by Terry Pratchett (mybookshelf)
    Lords and Ladies by Terry Pratchett (revolutionary_marcia)
    Astrotruckers by Mikael Niemi (andejons)
    andejons: Similarly absurd stories set in space, even if Niemi has more grime.

English (391)  Italian (4)  French (3)  Dutch (3)  Danish (2)  Finnish (2)  German (2)  Slovak (2)  Spanish (2)  Polish (1)  Portuguese (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Hebrew (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (416)
Raises some deep questions about life, the universe and everything. Splendidly philosophical and layered work, and the humor makes it all so delightful and palatable. ( )
  maximnoronha | Apr 18, 2015 |
This book was amazing and hilarious! That is all. ( )
  G.David | Mar 26, 2015 |
Usually, I don't remember books very well. I have to review books right after I read them, or I wouldn't be able to tell you a damn thing about them. This book, however... I have the entire thing pretty much memorized. So much so, that I can't read the book anymore. I know every goddamn sentence by heart.

Here, let me quote from memory some Vogon poetry:

Oh freckled grunt buggley
Thy mytriations are to me
Like furgled brathey-flap
of warthog's be

Groop! I emplore thee!
With crinkly bingle worms
And froopishly thrangle thee
With arm-pit germs

For otherwise, I will rend thee
With my burgle-crunchy
See if I don't!

I'm sure that is only slightly similar to the original, but you get the idea. I cannot get this shit out of my head! It's there to stay, I tells ya.

It's not because I have read the book so many times, even though, yes, I have read it more than 20 times, I'm sure. It's because I once had a driving paper route, back in the early 90's, and I played the audio version of this book in my car every morning, for like an entire year. Every morning I would hear the complete book, while delivering papers in my car. That's like 300 goddamn times, or more, that this book was pounded into my head. So yes, every fucking word of it has been permanently burned into my brain.

I say that, like it's a bad thing. It's not. I fucking loved it. I would read the book aloud, along with the tape, giggling like a goddamn school girl the entire time.

I distinctly remember one time, my wife woke me up, and asked "What the fuck is a 'burgle-crunchy'?" Apparently, I was reciting the goddamn book in my sleep, and kept tossing and turning, screaming, "No! Not the burgle-crunchy! Anything but the burgle-crunchy!"

The book is about Arthur Dent, a rather lazy fellow, who spends the entirety of this book in his bathrobe and slippers. He is whisked away, into the cosmos by his best friend Ford Prefect (who gave himself the perfect Earth name. Because he thought the vehicle, the Ford Prefect, was the most dominant life-form on the planet.) who just happens to be an inter-galactic hitchhiker who writes for the famed guide book The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Once Arthur and his friend begin their journey through the cosmos, hilarity ensues. Well, to be fair, hilarity ensued from the very first page, but it really gets going once they're hitching rides through space.

And space... Whoa, Nelly. Let me tell you about space. It's big. Really big... So big, that... Again, pulling lines out of my head from this goddamn book.

Why is Arthur Dent so important to this story? Well, because his brain was part of a computer program to determine the answer to [b:Life, the Universe and Everything|8694|Life, the Universe and Everything (Hitchhiker's Guide, #3)|Douglas Adams|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1333577589s/8694.jpg|74123]. Okay, that's not entirely true. The program was actually trying to find the ultimate Question of Life, the universe and everything. Because, the pan-dimensional mice already knew the answer to life, the universe and everything. It's "42", of course. Duh.

Does any of this make sense? I didn't think so. That's what makes it so bloody awesome. That, and Zaphod Beeblebrox. Because, "He's just zis guy, you know?" ( )
  gecizzle | Mar 5, 2015 |
Fun book. It really put me in the mind of The Princess Bride. The humor seemed to me to be similar. It had good twists and turns too. ( )
  Mariesreads | Feb 24, 2015 |
Definitely one of the best books of all time. So much nonsense, and yet it all makes sense at the same time. It cannot be said that Douglas Adams leaves plotholes in his novels, because somehow he fixes them with an explanation that has nothing to do with anything. And it makes total sense. Sort of.

All of the characters are splendid. Arthur is probably the best person to go on an intergalactic adventure, and Ford and Zaphod are the best people to take him on it. Trillian is the best voice of reason possible. And Marvin... well, Marvin's just the best at everything. He is my absolute favorite.

How does one even explain how brilliant this book is? ( )
  BrynDahlquis | Feb 22, 2015 |
Humorous science fiction novels have notoriously limited audiences; they tend to be full of ''in'' jokes understandable only to those who read everything from Jules Verne to Harlan Ellison. The ''Hitchhiker's Guide'' is a delightful exception, being written for anyone who can understand the thrill that might come to a crew of interstellar explorers who discover a mysterious planet, dead for five million years, and then hear on their ''sub etha'' radio a ghostly voice, hollow, reedy, insubstantial: ''Greetings to you. ... This is a recorded announcement, as I'm afraid we're all out at the moment. ...''

Adams, Douglasprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Keine Panik
for
Johnny Brock and Clare Gorst
and all other Arlingtonians
for tea, sympathy, and a sofa
Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the Western Spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small unregarded yellow sun. Orbiting this at a distance of roughly ninety-eight million miles is an utterly insignificant little blue-green planet whose ape-descended life forms are so amazingly primitive that they still think digital watches are a pretty neat idea.
Don't Panic
If there's anything more important than my ego around here, I want it caught and shot now.
The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't.
For thousands of years, the mighty ships tore across the empty wastes of space and finally dived screaming on to the first planet they came across---which happened to be the Earth---where due to a terrible miscalculation of scale the entire battle fleet was accidentally swallowed by a small dog.
Life! Don't talk to me about life.
[Book 1 Only] "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" is the title of the first in a series of novels (as well as the first in a series of radio dramas). The five works in the series are generally referred to as "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" or "The Hitchhiker Trilogy", as is the series of radio dramas. Though there are unabridged audio recordings of these works, the radio dramas are considerably different from the printed works. Eoin Colfer, of "Artemis Fowl" fame, contracted in 2008 to write the next volume of the "Trilogy." Do not combine it with the graphic novel adaptation.
Arthur's drab lifestyle/The answer is forty two/ What is the question?
(hreilly)
Wet, McKenna muttered

A curse up to God;

The clouds laughed.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345391802, Mass Market Paperback)

Join Douglas Adams's hapless hero Arthur Dent as he travels the galaxy with his intrepid pal Ford Prefect, getting into horrible messes and generally wreaking hilarious havoc. Dent is grabbed from Earth moments before a cosmic construction team obliterates the planet to build a freeway. You'll never read funnier science fiction; Adams is a master of intelligent satire, barbed wit, and comedic dialogue. The Hitchhiker's Guide is rich in comedic detail and thought-provoking situations and stands up to multiple reads. Required reading for science fiction fans, this book (and its follow-ups) is also sure to please fans of Monty Python, Terry Pratchett's Discworld series, and British sitcoms.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:43 -0400)

After Earth is demolished to make way for a new hyperspatial expressway, Arthur Dent begins to hitch-hike through space.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,730,592 books! | Top bar: Always visible