The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by…

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (original 1979; edition 2005)

by Douglas Adams, Robbie Stamp (Afterword)

25,14642644 (4.22)1 / 979
Title:The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Authors:Douglas Adams
Other authors:Robbie Stamp (Afterword)
Info:Pan Books (2005), Paperback, 224 pages
Collections:To read

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams (1979)

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency / The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul by Douglas Adams (gandalf_grey)
    The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde (ut.tecum.loquerer, coliemta)
    coliemta: One's more literary and the other more science-fiction-y, but they're both bizarre, hilarious and similar in feel. Most people who like one will enjoy the other.
    The Colour of Magic by Terry Pratchett (mcenroeucsb)
    mcenroeucsb: Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy : Science Fiction :: The Color of Magic : Fantasy
    Red Dwarf: Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers by Grant Naylor (Konran)
    The Sirens of Titan by Kurt Vonnegut (girlunderglass, catfantastic)
    girlunderglass: before The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - more than 20 years before it - there was THIS book about space travel, time travel, and the "ultimate answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything". Adams certainly borrowed a lot from Vonnegut.
    Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch by Terry Pratchett (mcenroeucsb)
    mcenroeucsb: Good Omens is uneven in writing quality, but the flippant interactions between some of the angels and demons very much reminds me of Douglas Adams.
    Redshirts by John Scalzi (mcenroeucsb)
    The Light Fantastic by Terry Pratchett (Nikkles)
    Neverwhere: A Novel by Neil Gaiman (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Although Neverwhere and The Hitchhiker's Guide (THHG) are different genres (the first is urban fantasy, the second comic science-fiction) I felt there was a lot of similarity between the characters of Richard Mayhew (in Neverwhere) and Arthur Dent (in THHG). Both are a kind of everyman with whom the reader can identify and both embody a certain 'Britishness'. And they're both stonkingly good books by British authors.… (more)
    John Dies at the End by David Wong (fundevogel)
    The Sheriff of Yrnameer by Michael Rubens (MyriadBooks)
    Doorways in the Sand by Roger Zelazny (WildMaggie)
    Catch-22 by Joseph Heller (wvlibrarydude)
    wvlibrarydude: Satire and humor that will split your gut. Read if you want to laugh at humanity.
    The Automatic Detective by A. Lee Martinez (grizzly.anderson)
    grizzly.anderson: A campy-SF 50's detective story that I think will appeal to the same sense of humor.
    The Toyminator by Robert Rankin (ShelfMonkey)
    The Wish List by Eoin Colfer (missmaddie)
    missmaddie: Follow the unlikely hero through a tongue-in-cheek, sci-fi adventure
    Wyrd Sisters by Terry Pratchett (unlucky)
    unlucky: Both are comedic with insight and satirical in nature, making fun of conventions in their respective genres.
    Only You Can Save Mankind by Terry Pratchett (mybookshelf)
    Astrotruckers by Mikael Niemi (andejons)
    andejons: Similarly absurd stories set in space, even if Niemi has more grime.
    Lords and Ladies by Terry Pratchett (revolutionary_marcia)

English (400)  Italian (4)  French (4)  Dutch (3)  Danish (2)  Finnish (2)  Slovak (2)  Spanish (2)  German (2)  Polish (1)  Portuguese (1)  Catalan (1)  Hebrew (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (426)
A masterpiece of our time. Engaging and funny throughout.
I love it when I go through and really feel a whole new world. ( )
  Apadravya | Sep 30, 2015 |
This is one of those books that I can't believe I've waited soo long to read. Honestly, it's a bit of a travesty that I waited nearly 27 years of my life to get around to reading this. I made the fortunate decision to listen to the audiobook version narrated by Douglas Adams himself and I was not disappointed. He perfectly captured the essence of his work with his fast paced, British, odd humored narration. Perfection. The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy is the first of its series and hilariously recounts the adventures of Arthur (a human earthling) and Ford (an experienced alien hitchhiker) as they try to muddle their way around the galaxies. Ridiculousness abounds. Excellent, tongue in cheek book and I can't wait to read the next in the series. ( )
  ecataldi | Aug 24, 2015 |
It was very random. ( )
  AshleyDioses | Aug 1, 2015 |
Really good book full of british humor with close ties to Monty Python style humor. A improbable but enjoyable science fiction book, that still contains traces about it's radio episodic origins. ( )
1 vote gedece | Jul 27, 2015 |
Arthur is an unremarkable Englishman whose odd fate it is to be rescued from Earth moments before the planet is completely annihilated. He and his friends, including his rescuer Ford Prefect, President of the Galaxy Zaphod Beeblebrox, and former Earth-girl Trillian, Zaphod's girlfriend, have a number of strange adventures as they travel through various holes in the Universe and visit Magrathea, a once prosperous planet whose long-ago inhabitants became wealthy by creating additional planets.

It is all very clever, and such a part of popular culture that its catchphrases ("Don't Panic!", "42", "So long and thanks for all the fish") are familiar even to those who haven't read the book. I couldn't help but feel, however, that I am missing part of the joke. I am glad I read it, if only to be able to say I did. ( )
2 vote akblanchard | Jul 17, 2015 |
Humorous science fiction novels have notoriously limited audiences; they tend to be full of ''in'' jokes understandable only to those who read everything from Jules Verne to Harlan Ellison. The ''Hitchhiker's Guide'' is a delightful exception, being written for anyone who can understand the thrill that might come to a crew of interstellar explorers who discover a mysterious planet, dead for five million years, and then hear on their ''sub etha'' radio a ghostly voice, hollow, reedy, insubstantial: ''Greetings to you. ... This is a recorded announcement, as I'm afraid we're all out at the moment. ...''

Adams, Douglasprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
潤, 風見Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Keine Panik
Johnny Brock and Clare Gorst
and all other Arlingtonians
for tea, sympathy, and a sofa
Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the Western Spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small unregarded yellow sun. Orbiting this at a distance of roughly ninety-eight million miles is an utterly insignificant little blue-green planet whose ape-descended life forms are so amazingly primitive that they still think digital watches are a pretty neat idea.
Don't Panic
If there's anything more important than my ego around here, I want it caught and shot now.
The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't.
For thousands of years, the mighty ships tore across the empty wastes of space and finally dived screaming on to the first planet they came across---which happened to be the Earth---where due to a terrible miscalculation of scale the entire battle fleet was accidentally swallowed by a small dog.
Life! Don't talk to me about life.
[Book 1 Only] "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" is the title of the first in a series of novels (as well as the first in a series of radio dramas). The five works in the series are generally referred to as "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" or "The Hitchhiker Trilogy", as is the series of radio dramas. Though there are unabridged audio recordings of these works, the radio dramas are considerably different from the printed works. Eoin Colfer, of "Artemis Fowl" fame, contracted in 2008 to write the next volume of the "Trilogy." Do not combine it with the graphic novel adaptation.
Arthur's drab lifestyle/The answer is forty two/ What is the question?
Wet, McKenna muttered

A curse up to God;

The clouds laughed.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345391802, Mass Market Paperback)

Join Douglas Adams's hapless hero Arthur Dent as he travels the galaxy with his intrepid pal Ford Prefect, getting into horrible messes and generally wreaking hilarious havoc. Dent is grabbed from Earth moments before a cosmic construction team obliterates the planet to build a freeway. You'll never read funnier science fiction; Adams is a master of intelligent satire, barbed wit, and comedic dialogue. The Hitchhiker's Guide is rich in comedic detail and thought-provoking situations and stands up to multiple reads. Required reading for science fiction fans, this book (and its follow-ups) is also sure to please fans of Monty Python, Terry Pratchett's Discworld series, and British sitcoms.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:52 -0400)

After Earth is demolished to make way for a new hyperspatial expressway, Arthur Dent begins to hitch-hike through space.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,668,934 books! | Top bar: Always visible